America's Pillow King

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I don't own a MyPillow, and I've never tried one so I can't attest to its effectiveness as a pillow. Nevertheless, I thought this was an interesting article about the creator of MyPillow and his company.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...terous-success-story-of-america-s-pillow-king

As so many great entrepreneurial success stories do, the tale of Mike Lindell begins in a crack house. It was the fall of 2008, and the then 47-year-old divorced father of four from the Minneapolis suburbs had run out of crack, again. He had been up for either 14 or 19 days—he swears it was 19 but says 14 because “19 just sounds like I’ve embellished”—trying to save his struggling startup and making regular trips into the city to visit his dealer, Ty. This time, Lindell arrived at Ty’s apartment expecting the typical A-plus service and received a shock instead: The dealer refused his business. Ty wasn’t going to sell him any more crack until he ended his binge. He’d also called the two other dealers Lindell used and ordered them to do the same. “I don’t want any of your people selling him anything until he goes to bed,” Ty told the dealers. When Lindell protested, he cut him off: “Go to bed, Mike.”
Many people would be ashamed by this story. Lindell tells it all the time. “I was like, ‘Wow, drug dealers care!’ ” he says. “That’s what it felt like, this incredible intervention.” The moment wasn’t the end of his drug abuse, which started in his 20s when he owned bars and stretched through the early years of MyPillow, the Chaska, Minn., company he founded in 2005 to fulfill his dream of making “the world’s best pillow.” It was, however, his low point. It was when he realized that abusing crack and running a business weren’t compatible in the long term and vowed to get better.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Cool story. I was given one (regular & travel size) for Christmas two years ago and really like it. The travel size great for my long flights to Asia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
It's a great story and I'm very happy for the guy. I will probably buy his product in the near future.

Since we're irreverent on the non-sports forum, I have to say "don't most people start doing cocaine after they get rich?".

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
King of an industry for a whole country is impessive. I never aspired farther than to be Abe Froman, the "Sausage King of Chicago."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.