Donald Trump Inauguration - January 2017

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Tomorrow morning there's gonna be a bunch of leftists wake up and it's gonna be just like the morning after gay marriage was legalized two years ago for some other folks (remember the apocalyptic threats?) - the world will still be here and stuff going on just like before.

And the folks who played the "this is the worst thing ever" card will immediately have the same level of credibility.

I went through this once with Bill
Clinton (I was 23). Hell fire unleashed on earth right? But what did stick with me was VP Quayle's concession noting that if Clinton ran the country as well as his campaign then we'd all benefit and be okay. While it's debatable whether he did - he was always better at promising than delivering (except for Monica) - the world didn't end and by his re-election four years later I didn't even care although I still couldn't bring myself to vote for him (every time I got close he'd promise something insanely stupid - but Dole was never going to get my vote anyway).

Life is too damn short to let happiness be determined by who holds the White House. (What's funnny is this "concern for the future of my country" mantra to disguise ideology has been co-opted from the religious right by the non-religious left and is just as revolting. If you're that worried about it, find your military recruiter and sign up to actually DO stuff).

My hope is that Trump will be big picture; my fear is he won't.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
You guys gotta get in on the revolt. #Resistfromday1 is the rallying cry apparently.

People on both sides get so stupid over this stuff. Although the left does seem to lean more heavily into the crybaby side.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You guys gotta get in on the revolt. #Resistfromday1 is the rallying cry apparently.

People on both sides get so stupid over this stuff. Although the left does seem to lean more heavily into the crybaby side.
Well, for some people politics IS their religion.

I have no real qualms with the generic liberal (then again, I'm hardly the stereotypical conservative since there's a lot of views I've taken that would get me tossed out of office as a RINO if I ever ran and got elected; I'm sort of 'center right' as time goes on). My only real beef is with activists. Okay, I'm that way with activists of ALL stripes but life experience and particularly the net has shown me the whining and pontificating and - most particularly - the willingness to dismiss their ideological opponents as 'evil,' which used to be pretty much the sole possession of the religious right. I can list example after example but the most notable obvious one is their literally ALWAYS blaming their Presidential defeats on racism. It's like they cannot accept the idea that people reject them so they have to castigate anyone they're suspicious of as 'a racist.' But as I've said 100 times - not one person here can ever prove that racism ever won a single Presidential election that they make this claim about since 1964 (it's TRUE that it's very easy to find racism as an indispensable element of some pre-1970s and even later governor's races, particularly in the South. I'll acknowledge that).

Nixon's Southern strategy. Go ahead and try to explain to me what it was and then tell me which racist commercials he ran and which states he won BECAUSE he played the race card. (Answer? Zero; he actually finished THIRD in MS-AL-LA, generally agreed to be the most racist states at the time). Reagan's states rights? Two words in one speech, go read the rest of it. Bush's Willie Horton? Not only did most people nationally never see (or even know about) that case but...does anyone honestly believe that if Horton had been white then Dukakis wins?

And there has become the same smug moral superiority from the left that used to be found in the religious right. If we disagree on an issue, now I'm not just 'wrong' on the issue but it's okay to pepper me with labels like 'bigot' and other stuff. And here's the catch: it was NOT right wing nutbags who rioted in the days after Obama's initial election in 2008 (IIRC there was a racist gathering at a frat at Ole Miss, but that happens anyway). It wasn't right-wingers who protested the election and interfered with cars on freeways etc. And yet there's always this suggestion that 'if right-wingers don't get their way, they'll start killing people.' Hell, some Tweets today are attacking Trump's ten-year old kid....right after eight years of "don't you dare say anything about Obama's kids."

And you shouldn't - they're just along for the ride.

Fact is that people are people regardless of their ideology. It's still a small crowd - whether we're talking a right-wing militia out West or a gathering of left-wing nuts in DC to protest the election. But nobody has any moral superiority here despite the constant suggestion right and even left that "God is on our side." Good ole Rachel Maddow, PhD, went right for the Hitler comparison today.

I've always been told that was the college dropout right-wingers like Limbaugh's exclusive domain.

I got no qualm if the minority Left in DC wants to filibuster everything.

Of course, I also don't have a problem with the GOP invoking the "Obamacare Precedent" and doing whatever the hell they want to dismantle what was passed around their attempted filibusters, either. What would be nice would be if folks could actually agree - but you'll find that even if you have that occasional dissenter in party, it's usually someone new...and they're threatened with removal from committees if they don't 'play ball.' Nothing - not even the election of a populist blowhard is going to change that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you're not already watching - turn on CNN - cute bunch of kids performing...."Pelican 212"!
I know I'm pickier than most, but I detest kitschy music - these people would never make it onto any stage if they weren't children. They're hired because "they're awesome, considering they're kids"...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I know I'm pickier than most, but I detest kitschy music - these people would never make it onto any stage if they weren't children. They're hired because "they're awesome, considering they're kids"...

True dat......but I really liked those horns!

Now those Rockettes......especially the blonde on the far left....hubba hubba.....

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Talladega College Marching Tornado Band:

And a column by a prominent alumnus:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/18/opinions/why-talladega-band-should-perform-harvey/

This will be a wonderful learning experience for the student musician. It will be a moment for them to understand the importance of supporting the leader of the free world, despite one's political viewpoint. The chief reason-for-being of any college and university should be to promote learning, not to enhance a political agenda.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for this, 86.

I browsed some of the social media earlier today and the amount of support for this program and these kids eclipsed anything that I've ever seen come out of any of the BLM stunts.

BRAVO to the Tornados!
Hey, I'm a band guy, my wife is a band girl, and all my kids are...wait for it...band kids. Gotta support our marching bands. I'm proud of Alabama and the Marching Tornado Band from Talladega College. I hope they are having a great and inspiring experience. Marching down Pennsylvania Avenue will be quite a memory for them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.