Donald Trump Inauguration - January 2017

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I may be wrong (because I'm old) but....don't colleges have a mandatory health insurance thing where at the very least you HAVE to have catastrophic coverage? Am I correct on that? I seem to recall that from my college days thirty years ago but since my parents would have handled it, I don't recall details (since I was military dependent in college, I had 100% coverage).

I DO know that at Dallas Seminary we had to submit an insurance coverage form every semester proving we at least had something for catastrophes.
I'm as old or a little older than you. My parents' insurance covered me as long as I was in school. That was typical of health insurance back in the day. When I left school, I got my own insurance.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Which is why it's a good idea to buy it before one is "unhealthy" because it's not a bad deal if one realizes that accidents happen. When I graduated college at the age of 21, I purchased health insurance through my employer. I have had health insurance ever since. So no, a healthy person having health insurance is not a bad deal. Insurance is "a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality."
You are really saying the same thing that I am.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yes.

And Obama wasn't calling anyone an enemy in your clip, IMO. He was speaking from the perspective of Latinos who may perceive political allies and enemies and vote accordingly. He was not naming his own foes.

You're funny.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-explains-his-remark-about-punishing-enemies/

Following is Mr. Obama's "enemies" quote from the Univision interview:
"If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, 'We're gonna punish our enemies, and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us' -- if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election -- then I think it's going to be harder. And that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2nd."
Mr. Obama told Baisden that he should have used the word, "opponents," rather than "enemies" (see below). According to his language parsing, presumably some Republicans candidates are "opponents," not "enemies," of provisions, such as comprehensive immigration reform. Understood?
"And you know, it's interesting right now, there was a -- I had a conversation with a Hispanic radio outlet, Univision, and during the course of that conversation, one of the things that I had to say to the Latino community, which is frustrated that we haven't seen progress on immigration reform, was that they can't sit out of this election. There were arguments being made that because Democrats hadn't gotten this done, that Latinos should vote against Democrats or just sit out the election."
"And I said, well, you can't punish your friends when -- the folks who've been supporting it. Now, I did also say if you're going to punish somebody, punish your enemies, and I probably should have used the word, "opponents" instead of enemies. Now the Republicans are saying that I'm calling them enemies. What I'm saying is you're an opponent of this particular provision, comprehensive immigration reform, which is something very different."
"But the key issue here is that if you are supportive of comprehensive immigration reform, if you are supportive of health care reform, if you are supportive of making sure that credit card companies are treating us fairly, making sure that banks are properly regulated so they don't end up getting taxpayer bailouts -- if you support those things, then you've got to support those who helped to put those provisions into law. And you've got to make sure that those who are opposed to that legislation, that they get a clear message that they shouldn't be standing in the way of the progress, but rather we should be moving this country forward."
Mr. Obama would disagree with you, it seems. But please continue with the hyperbole and excuses.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I appreciate the follow-up, but nothing you posted changes my interpretation.
Obama did factually call those who opposed his policies enemies. He walked it back afterwards, saying he should have called them opponents. The fact remains he called them enemies. Your interpretation sounds a lot like those making excuses for Trump's behavior, so excuse me if I put your interpretation in the hypocritical category.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Obama walked it back as you say. Anything about Trump give you the indication he's likely to walk it back or rather double down like he always has with incendiary language? His speech was so dour and negative that I think he's going to walk down this path frequently over the next four years. He didn't even win the popular vote. His approval ratings are in the tank already. It is concerning that he's not seeking a more reconciliatory tone because I don't really he has a mandate to do anything on his platform. GOP can kiss the midterms goodbye if they gut ACA especially if their president continues to stoke the flames of the majority that didn't vote for him.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Obama walked it back as you say. Anything about Trump give you the indication he's likely to walk it back or rather double down like he always has with incendiary language? His speech was so dour and negative that I think he's going to walk down this path frequently over the next four years. He didn't even win the popular vote. His approval ratings are in the tank already. It is concerning that he's not seeking a more reconciliatory tone because I don't really he has a mandate to do anything on his platform. GOP can kiss the midterms goodbye if they gut ACA especially if their president continues to stoke the flames of the majority that didn't vote for him.
Yes, Obama did walk it back and he gets credit for that. His underlying attitude never changed, though. Of note, he did then go on to use the IRS to go after his self-declared enemies. That is a gross and disturbing abuse of power for which no one has really been punished. So don't act like it meant nothing.

Trump is a dangerous man, IMHO. I've said that time and again and he's offered nothing to change my mind. But to act like Obama was pure as the driven snow (am I being racist here? certainly not intentionally, so no) is ludicrous and is counterproductive to credibility of the speaker and reveals an underlying pathology that allows those supported by the speaker to be excused for doing the same thing, thereby enabling someone like Trump to later abuse the very same powers of the presidency.

IOW, the only way to stop people like Trump is to stop people like Obama with as much vigor. When you guys are ready to be consistent in your beliefs feel free to join me over here. Don't worry, it took me a while to get here, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.