Zuckerberg sues Hawaiians to sell him their land

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think this situation has some nuance to it. It seems land ownership works different there. The size of the parcels, the way ownership is divided and no legal need to obtain an easement make this a unique scenario.
Their lands make up slightly more than eight acres.

The defendants may hold just a tiny fraction of ownership in the parcels because they are several generations removed from the original owners, according to the paper's story on the cases.

One suit, according to the Star-Advertiser, was filed against about 300 people who are descendants of an immigrant Portuguese sugar cane plantation worker who bought four parcels totaling two acres of land in 1894.

One of that worker's great-grandchildren, Carlos Andrade, 72, lived on the property until recently, the paper said. But the retired university professor told the Star-Advertiser that he is helping Zuckerberg's case as a co-plaintiff in an effort to make sure the land is not surrendered to the county if no one in his extended clan steps up to take responsibility for paying property taxes on the plots.
Andrade, in a letter to his known relatives, said he believed selling to Zuckerberg would ensure that the relatives get "their fair share" of their ancestor's investment in the property — while avoiding further dilution of the value of individual property shares due to the clan increasing in size, the paper reported.
In the same letter, Andrade estimated that a large majority of his relatives are unaware that they have an ownership stake in the land.
300 people sharing partial ownership in like a quarter of an acre? And most don't even know they are part owners. Pretty intense.

Being from the south we may have a different relationship with our land than they do in Hawaii. I know if someone tried to railroad me out of my family's property I'd whirl a molotov cocktail through their car window. This seems very different though. The odd circumstances are enough for me to give benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
He wants to be more exclusive. I wonder if he wants to build a wall around it after he forces them to sell?
I do know that he was petitioning to be able to build a super tall fence. That may have gotten ruled out though because it was so tall that it blocked views of the ocean and the breeze for other neighbors.

Why Hawaii, though? If the dude wants to own 700 acres of reclusive property I would not have chosen Hawaii - because of the problems he is running into at this time. Lot of other places in the world that are remote and serene - money isn't an object for Zuckerberg but other people are so maybe he should move where there are fewer people.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.