Link: Mike Leach takes shot at SEC offenses. (I Love Mike Leach quotes!)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he believes that offensive philosophies have not changed in the SEC in the last 20 years, he doesn't watch SEC football - at all. But his main point is correct - the SEC has more success than other conferences because it has better athletes on the field. Great coaches still need great players to win at the highest level.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If he believes that offensive philosophies have not changed in the SEC in the last 20 years, he doesn't watch SEC football - at all. But his main point is correct - the SEC has more success than other conferences because it has better athletes on the field. Great coaches still need great players to win at the highest level.

Yep and a lot of outsiders don't realize this until they see it live and in person. Back in 2012 when we opened up with Michigan in Jerry World. Walking into the stadium from the parking lot all I heard from Michigan tailgaters was how they were going to show the SEC what real football was about blah blah blah. As I walking out all I heard from them was how much bigger, faster and more powerful our players were compared to theirs.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
True - and I would also make a case that most of the SEC understands the balance between offense and defense. Leach produced a great offense in the SEC at Kentucky, but they were still a .500 team because their defense SUCKED. Fast, wide open offenses are great until you have a few drives stall and you expose your defense to a lot more plays and they get tired. We should know - that's what happened to us recently...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Scoring fast.....cripples your defense.

15 games/season
100 plays/game

1500 plays --

In 1978 -- we had about 850 plays total that year.....in 12 games -- that's about 70 plays per game (and that was with a running attack/wishbone)

1500 plays in a season this year is equivalent to about 22 games in 1978.....

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Scoring fast.....cripples your defense.

15 games/season
100 plays/game

1500 plays --

In 1978 -- we had about 850 plays total that year.....in 12 games -- that's about 70 plays per game (and that was with a running attack/wishbone)

1500 plays in a season this year is equivalent to about 22 games in 1978.....
See the most recent championship game for an example of what a quick scoring offense will do to you defense.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
See the most recent championship game for an example of what a quick scoring offense will do to you defense.
But it also cripples your own.....

Clemson wore us down, yes. But, they shouldn't have even been in the game.....(thanks NC State!) -- that style of offense just completely jams up your own Defense. That's part of what wore us down this year. Going fast -- helps the O, but man, it sure tires out your D

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
He's always been better at staying stupid crap than he has been at coaching.

Pile up his dumb quotes in one corner and all his football trophies in the other. And well....one corner will be empty.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He lost Cotton Bowls to ALABAMA and Ole Miss despite having video game offenses.

I'll never forget the look of shock on the faces of Tech fans walking out of the 2006 Cotton Bowl having scored only 10 points. Thousands were wearing shirts that said "We Score. A Lot."

They looked as if they were gazing at what was left of Hiroshima.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
But it also cripples your own.....

Clemson wore us down, yes. But, they shouldn't have even been in the game.....(thanks NC State!) -- that style of offense just completely jams up your own Defense. That's part of what wore us down this year. Going fast -- helps the O, but man, it sure tires out your D
I think that's what he was saying - Alabama (not Clemson) scored too fast, had too many short drives and left our D on the field too long.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I used to think Mike Leach was funny and entertaining "fat girl friends". Now, his schtick has kind of grown old. Just coach your team Mike and enjoy those 61-60 games with very little defense.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
He lost Cotton Bowls to ALABAMA and Ole Miss despite having video game offenses.

I'll never forget the look of shock on the faces of Tech fans walking out of the 2006 Cotton Bowl having scored only 10 points. Thousands were wearing shirts that said "We Score. A Lot."

They looked as if they were gazing at what was left of Hiroshima.
He got schooled by Mike Shula. How many coaches can put that on their resume?

Urban can!

Hahahahahahhaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.