Harbaugh to have Spring Practice in Rome, Italy

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Are you going to play football at a school for a free trip to Italy? Only if you name ends in a vowel.
Most of us are only cut out to be middle infielders.

Yeah, some can play other baseball positions, but for the most part.................

Might also help if their recruiting target base is 500 miles to the east. But, what do I know?

(Now that I think about it, the center on our HS team was named Pugliano.)

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Wonder how many of those players have passports? On another note, how many international incidents are there going to be? This could turn out to be very entertaining.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Harbaugh and his team are going to lose 3+ games this year because of the talent drain, and then Harbaugh is going to run away and join the circus.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Trying to come up with a ball park figure on cost. I would think at least 150 people will go including players, staff, support staff, spouses. I am estimating cost for travel, room and board.

Travel - airline ticket from Detroit to Rome

$1000/person x 150 people = $150,000.00

Room - 2 people per room - American hotel

$75/person x 7 days x 150 people = $78,750.00

Meals - 3 squares/day

$50/person x 7 days x 150 people = $52,500.00

Total: $281,250.00

So conservatively it is going to cost UM about $300,000. Quite a bit more than walking out the door of the field house and practicing.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
I think it gives them an unfair advantage in recruiting, at least until August. Not against schools like us, but smaller schools with lesser budgets.
I'll say it again, I think we need to fly up to Michigan and have our spring practice in Ann Arbor. And we need to call ESPN and CBS sports, and get 90 million dollars of free publicity! :)
Alabama doesn't have to resort to gimmicks like this. We get millions of dollars in free publicity without leaving Tuscaloosa county.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wonder how many of those players have passports? On another note, how many international incidents are there going to be? This could turn out to be very entertaining.
This! The same thoughts passed through my mind. It may be that Harbaugh just isn't familiar with international travel and the requirements. Anyway, with a name like "Harbaugh," shouldn't he be taking them to Ireland? Probably a lot more of them are part Irish...

Edit: His mom is indeed half Sicilian. However, Rome sounds a lot better than Palermo...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Alabama doesn't have to resort to gimmicks like this. We get millions of dollars in free publicity without leaving Tuscaloosa county.
Just wait. Saban will figure out a way to milk all kinds of publicity for our program, using this trip.
Not sure what it will be, but he'll do it. He's brilliant from that aspect.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Trying to come up with a ball park figure on cost. I would think at least 150 people will go including players, staff, support staff, spouses. I am estimating cost for travel, room and board.

Travel - airline ticket from Detroit to Rome

$1000/person x 150 people = $150,000.00

Room - 2 people per room - American hotel

$75/person x 7 days x 150 people = $78,750.00

Meals - 3 squares/day

$50/person x 7 days x 150 people = $52,500.00

Total: $281,250.00

So conservatively it is going to cost UM about $300,000. Quite a bit more than walking out the door of the field house and practicing.
You really think they are flying to Rome coach class? Charter flight over and back - guaranteed. Moderate class hotels in Rome are about $350 a day. The charter sight seeing tours are probably $50k plus a day & $50 a day to feed them is a pipe dream. They will all eat $50 dinners - then add lunch & breakfast. My guess is they spend close to a million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This! The same thoughts passed through my mind. It may be that Harbaugh just isn't familiar with international travel and the requirements. Anyway, with a name like "Harbaugh," shouldn't he be taking them to Ireland? Probably a lot more of them are part Irish...

Edit: His mom is indeed half Sicilian. However, Rome sounds a lot better than Palermo...
Didn't think about this but there are a few NFL players that have not been able to make the London trips for "personal reasons" (I read that as would not be allowed in because of some legal issues"). Wonder if everyone has a passport already? Doubt it since the NFL has issues with that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Didn't think about this but there are a few NFL players that have not been able to make the London trips for "personal reasons" (I read that as would not be allowed in because of some legal issues"). Wonder if everyone has a passport already? Doubt it since the NFL has issues with that.

TBF, I would be amazed if any of them had a passport. They'd better start applying now...

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
TBF, I would be amazed if any of them had a passport. They'd better start applying now...
It took Georgia Tech 6 months to a year to prepare to play in Ireland this year. My son is a manager for the football team. It was a logistical nightmare in so many ways. There is no way the preparation for this Rome trip just started. They've been working on it for months. There are a ton of Customs issues, passport issues, paperwork, etc... I feel bad for the people that have to make all this happen.

And oh BTW for those reasons stated above Coach Saban will never play a game out of the country. Never gonna happen. :)

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Maybe this starts up the UM Med Basin Tour. He can hit hot spots like Tunisia, Turkey, etc in the future.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
how is this supposed to help recruiting or anything football-wise?
The coaches can tell the recruits "If you sign with us you will be going to Rome for spring practice" (or London, Bermuda, Tokyo). To a 17 y/o that sounds awesome. I know some staffs recruit that way when they have a game at Hawaii. I have a strong suspicion a rule will be put in place shortly after the trip and it should be an incredibly broad ruling since Harbaugh is figuring out ways to play the system.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.