Game Thread: Official Game Thread Bama @ auburn...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
There are worse things than beating bad teams on the road as your trademark in trying to reestablish a program. Instead here's a bad team beating 'Bama that shows how far uphill Avery's got to climb with the talent on the floor for the Tide. Just a flatlining of fundamentals and shooting skills...
We're on the cusp of being a pretty good team. Probably the most talent we've had on the court in decades. Still just trying to find a way to put it all together. Symptom of being young.

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States
i turned the channel with a lil over 3 minutes left. i wont go outta my way to watch any more games this season...but, if I have nothing to do, and they are playing, i may ck in on em. i hope next year is a lot better, i'm tired of watching bad basketball

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
We're on the cusp of being a pretty good team. Probably the most talent we've had on the court in decades. Still just trying to find a way to put it all together. Symptom of being young.
Auburn is decent but saying they or close to being pretty good is stretching it a little. Auburn nor Alabama has ever being really significant in basketball and I really don't see that changing for either program anytime soon.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Auburn is decent but saying they or close to being pretty good is stretching it a little. Auburn nor Alabama has ever being really significant in basketball and I really don't see that changing for either program anytime soon.
l

I'm not implying a top 5 team in this conference quite the yet, but if we can get to .500 in SEC play by year's end, we're a bubble team. That's pretty good. By Auburn standards anyway.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
The real question is how did Wiley become eligible mid year? Only with Bruce Pearl and Auburn. There is a reason he went to the Florida "grade factory" this past semester. How do I know? My daughter went to High School with him the last 2 years.
l

I'm not implying a top 5 team in this conference quite the yet, but if we can get to .500 in SEC play by year's end, we're a bubble team. That's pretty good. By Auburn standards anyway.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
i turned the channel with a lil over 3 minutes left. i wont go outta my way to watch any more games this season...but, if I have nothing to do, and they are playing, i may ck in on em. i hope next year is a lot better, i'm tired of watching bad basketball
Can't have that attitude my friend.Gotta support the Tide every time we play.
And if you can't stand with the team when they're struggling, don't hold your head high when they start winning. No offense intended, but that's a pretty fair weather post.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
At this point, we don't have the mental toughness to win in an atmosphere like auburn presented today, and that's far from the most intimidating place we've yet to visit. Also, just finished talking to my son and we said the same thing that was posted above about not having a true point guard, nor do we have a 2 guard capable of scoring the big points when you've got to have a basket to quell a run by the other side. We went to dinner when the deficit got to +6, looks like we folded after that. We'll see how both teams respond in a few weeks when the roles are reversed.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
The real question is how did Wiley become eligible mid year? Only with Bruce Pearl and Auburn. There is a reason he went to the Florida "grade factory" this past semester. How do I know? My daughter went to High School with him the last 2 years.
He transferred so he could take summer classes and graduate early. The goal was to get to Auburn midseason to play this season and the next. Works out well for us because he'd likely be a one and done anyway.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
He did not have the grades at Spain Park to attend Junior College and would have been ineligible if he stayed there and not gone to Florida.But somehow he got into Auburn. This is Bruce Pearl we are talking about.
He transferred so he could take summer classes and graduate early. The goal was to get to Auburn midseason to play this season and the next. Works out well for us because he'd likely be a one and done anyway.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
l

I understand what you are saying but even in a so called good year when Auburn and Bama make the tournament they usually don't get past the second round. But I guess you can say they made it for whatever that is worth.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Auburn has a load of young talent. i was honestly surprised when the game opened as a pick em playing them on the road. figured this would be a tough game. Awful matchups all over the court. For whatever reason, their record is not an indicator of the talent they have. Tough watching us play at times. Collin Sexton as a Sr in high school would be our best player by far. Still lacking in talent right now.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Auburn has a load of young talent. i was honestly surprised when the game opened as a pick em playing them on the road. figured this would be a tough game. Awful matchups all over the court. For whatever reason, their record is not an indicator of the talent they have. Tough watching us play at times. Collin Sexton as a Sr in high school would be our best player by far. Still lacking in talent right now.
Youth will do that. If they gel, watch out. We finally saw brilliance from Wiley and we can only hope they keep getting better.

Still not as deep as I would like. Devin Waddel, a liability on both sides of the ball, still gets PT if Danjel gets hurt.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not a fan of kids bailing on their high school team to go to college early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Auburn going back to the"old way", shades of Chris Davis moochie Norris and assistant Robbie Laing

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/dec/14/auburn-reprimands-assistant-players-in-basketball/

Funny how Duke North Carolina Kansas etc never seem to have this fortunate scenario play out to get a Blue Chip player eligible midseason

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, Pearl has such a pristine reputation:rolleyes:

You do know that Auburn and Bruce Pearl is the only combination of a school hiring a coach on a current show-cause, correct?
Yes as you're nice enough to bring it up literally every time Pearl comes up.

It was too good of an opportunity to pass up. If it hadn't been us, someone else would have snatched him up. It was either that or another Barbee/Lebo type hire and another wasted decade.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yes as you're nice enough to bring it up literally every time Pearl comes up.

It was too good of an opportunity to pass up. If it hadn't been us, someone else would have snatched him up. It was either that or another Barbee/Lebo type hire and another wasted decade.
Yea, in Pearl's 4th year at AU he's 38-46 overall (.458) and 11-31 in conference (.262). Alabama and AU have good recruiting classes coming in next year. Both situations require an infusion of talent more than anything else..

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Auburn going back to the"old way", shades of Chris Davis moochie Norris and assistant Robbie Laing

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/dec/14/auburn-reprimands-assistant-players-in-basketball/

Funny how Duke North Carolina Kansas etc never seem to have this fortunate scenario play out to get a Blue Chip player eligible midseason
Tennessee did something similar with Jarnell Stokes a few years back.

This is probably the start of a trend and I chalk it up to "one and done" forced upon these kids by the NBA. College basketball hasn't been about getting an education for years. We can hardly be blamed for that.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Yea, in Pearl's 4th year at AU he's 38-46 overall (.458) and 11-31 in conference (.262). Alabama and AU have good recruiting classes coming in next year. Both situations require an infusion of talent more than anything else..
Turning the basketball culture in Auburn around was always going to be a difficult task. He inherited a mess from Barbee. It's finally starting to bear fruit. Postseason play is within our grasp for the first time in a while and we still have an outside shot at making the dance.

As for the infusion of talent, he's recruiting on a level we've never seen at a Auburn. Heron and Wiley alone are probably the two highest rated recruits we've ever had. Just takes time to both bring talent in and have them adjust to college ball and culture of the program. We're probably still a year away but we're seeing flashes this year. Your talent next year will look like AU right now. A high ceiling for both production and screw ups in 2017. Like us, you'll be talented but the weight of that youth will get you beat in a couple of games.

In 2018, assuming Avery keeps up his recruiting pace, your guys will look legit and the roster talent starter/bench will match up with anyone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.