Game Thread: Official Game Thread Bama @ auburn...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Tennessee did something similar with Jarnell Stokes a few years back.

This is probably the start of a trend and I chalk it up to "one and done" forced upon these kids by the NBA. College basketball hasn't been about getting an education for years. We can hardly be blamed for that.
Hmmm

Amazing, guess who their head coach was then:rolleyes:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Can't have that attitude my friend.Gotta support the Tide every time we play.
And if you can't stand with the team when they're struggling, don't hold your head high when they start winning. No offense intended, but that's a pretty fair weather post.
You pretty much summed it up Sip. They just had a lackluster game unfortunately (it came against our rivals which stung of course). But I'm thinking they will continue to make strides to be consistent and get better this season.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

This is probably the start of a trend and I chalk it up to "one and done" forced upon these kids by the NBA. College basketball hasn't been about getting an education for years. We can hardly be blamed for that.
Not blaming you or Pearl, I understand that is the way it is. Getting 1.5 years of college play (really two since conference play is all that matters) along with two postseasons will boost your draft stock. I'm sure we'll have one like that some day. I just don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Auburn has a load of young talent. i was honestly surprised when the game opened as a pick em playing them on the road. figured this would be a tough game. Awful matchups all over the court. For whatever reason, their record is not an indicator of the talent they have. Tough watching us play at times. Collin Sexton as a Sr in high school would be our best player by far. Still lacking in talent right now.
Key and Ingram are exceptional players but sometimes lose confidence and also make goofy mistakes at times. They will be important to the team as the big recruits come onboard. I don't think Ingram was ranked really high but he has some major talent.

Could be. I think the issue with Stokes was that he transferred to a different high school for his senior year and was ruled ineligible so he graduated early to go to UT. (relying on old memory here...)

As for the game yesterday, Auburn scored on almost every trip during the last 5 minutes of the game and Bama continued to struggle. This happens sometimes. From what I could see, the teams are fairly even and Bama will likely win the rematch. Bama has had a weakness against physical inside players but I think they, especially Hall, will do better next time. Also, AU is probably a year ahead right now as far as recruiting talent (should be more) but Johnson is getting things done.

This same Bama team went through a remarkable game ending streak on the road at LSU and the opposite happens here and a lot of fans are giving up too quickly. The loss at Auburn was very disappointing especially with the score getting so lopsided late but Bama players can still learn from it.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Could be. I think the issue with Stokes was that he transferred to a different high school for his senior year and was ruled ineligible so he graduated early to go to UT. (relying on old memory here...)
Yup. Just pointing out there's some precedent for "one and a half and done."

As for the game yesterday, Auburn scored on almost every trip during the last 5 minutes of the game and Bama continued to struggle. This happens sometimes. From what I could see, the teams are fairly even and Bama will likely win the rematch. Bama has had a weakness against physical inside players but I think they, especially Hall, will do better next time.
Yeah just one of those days. We won by 20 but I don't think we're by any means 20 points better than y'all.

Also, AU is probably a year ahead right now as far as recruiting talent (should be more) but Johnson is getting things done.
Better foundation. To Grant's credit, he left y'all in much better shape than Barbee did Auburn. Y'all were an NIT team the year he was fired, only had one sub .500 year and only missed postseason play twice in his during his tenure.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Yup. Just pointing out there's some precedent for "one and a half and done."
I don't know if Stokes went into it with the attitude of leaving after one year. He ended up going to the NBA draft after his junior year. It may be a path for some players that want to go one and a half done and is certainly a path for players that end up in a position like Stokes. I don't know the story behind Wiley. It will be interesting to see if this starts to grow.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I don't know if Stokes went into it with the attitude of leaving after one year. He ended up going to the NBA draft after his junior year. It may be a path for some players that want to go one and a half done and is certainly a path for players that end up in a position like Stokes. I don't know the story behind Wiley. It will be interesting to see if this starts to grow.
His junior year would have been his sophomore year but for the fact he enrolled early. It was a close knit thing. Was reportedly seriously considering going pro as soon as he was eligible. He hung around one more year to improve his stock. Didn't help too much because he is an undersized post player.

Wiley is a much better pro prospect. Already has the size necessary and is still growing. He would have been drafted this year if one and done wasn't a thing. I'll be absolutely shocked if he hangs around past his sophomore year, especially considering how much he's grown in his short time in Auburn. Yesterday was the first time we've seen him turn it on and dominate and there's probably more where that came from.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I know several of his teachers at Spain Park- sorry if you do not want to hear the truth concerning Mr Wiley.
We've gone from "my daughter went to school with him" to "I know his teachers." And if his teachers are letting you in on his grades they deserve to be fired for violating FERPA.

All that matters is that he made his grades, the NCAA Clearinghouse went through them with a fine toothed comb, found them adequate and ruled him eligible. Your anecdotes, while they do give y'all some red meat to chew on, are ultimately meaningless.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
We've gone from "my daughter went to school with him" to "I know his teachers." And if his teachers are letting you in on his grades they deserve to be fired for violating FERPA.

All that matters is that he made his grades, the NCAA Clearinghouse went through them with a fine toothed comb, found them adequate and ruled him eligible. Your anecdotes, while they do give y'all some red meat to chew on, are ultimately meaningless.[/

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Why did wiley not finish up at Spain Park?
To get in an accelerated schedule and graduate early to enroll at Auburn midseason. I also think the Wileys didn't have much love for Spain Park after they let Neal Barker go. I think he'd have wrapped up his senior year in Hoover if Barker was still coaching there.

I'm sure they were extremely careful about it. There are plenty of horror stories out there about prep school transfers jacking up your eligibility. The NCAA Clearinghouse is pretty watchful in these situations.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Wrong. He went to Florida and left Spain Park to get eligible at all. Sorry you do not want to comprehend that fact.
To get in an accelerated schedule and graduate early to enroll at Auburn midseason. I also think the Wileys didn't have much love for Spain Park after they let Neal Barker go. I think he'd have wrapped up his senior year in Hoover if Barker was still coaching there.

I'm sure they were extremely careful about it. There are plenty of horror stories out there about prep school transfers jacking up your eligibility. The NCAA Clearinghouse is pretty watchful in these situations.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Typical Auburn fan response when you hear something that "upsets" you. My daughter did go to Spain Park with him- and yes- I know several of his former teachers. Not sure why you come on this board anyway- even though most of your posts are pretty level headed and civil. But go back to your Auburn boards with your defense of all things Lee County. I am sure they will agree with you.This is a Bama board- in case you need to be reminded. And never forget- Auburn is the only school in NCAA history to hire a basketball coach who was still under a show cause from the NCAA. I am sure you will defend that action as well.

All that matters is that he made his grades, the NCAA Clearinghouse went through them with a fine toothed comb, found them adequate and ruled him eligible. Your anecdotes, while they do give y'all some red meat to chew on, are ultimately meaningless.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
So it is somewhere between ...

" He had to go to a credit mill to be eligible "

And

" He was a brilliant mind who went to an elite academic prep school to get to college faster"

Ok - btw did Spain Park not offer accelerated academics?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
So it is somewhere between ...

" He had to go to a credit mill to be eligible "

And

" He was a brilliant mind who went to an elite academic prep school to get to college faster"

Ok - btw did Spain Park not offer accelerated academics?
Calusa is accredited by SACS through AdvancED, so the diploma mill claim is doubtful. Wouldn't be shocked if they recruited him though, which is admittedly shady.

Public schools can be kind of inflexible about scheduling. Prep schools are a bit looser by nature. Again, I'm sure they were very careful about this. I've heard enough horror stories about not being cleared by the Clearinghouse because you made a B in a class 2 years back that ended up not transferring.

Plus he wouldn't be bound by the AHSAA's practice rules and could have continued practicing.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
And I am sure you can prove that he did not. Again- you would be better served posting on ITAT with that attitude. You have really gotten defensive about this subject- makes me wonder what you really believe.
yeah prove it

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.