Post Game auburn thoughts

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Generally, the same things that have beaten us keep beating us, ie free throw woes and turnovers

Bama had 10 more field goal attempts than auburn, the same number of makes, (24), the rebounds were tied at 34 piece, and Bama had more blocks and assists than au

Alabama had 16 turnovers, many of which were completely unforced and just mental mistakes, and we were only 10 of 19 from the free throw line. Auburn meanwhile, was 28 of 42 from the free throw line. We shot 19 free thows total, their true freshman Wiley shot 18 by himself.

But we've got to find a way to fix the turnovers and free throws, we are not talented enough to overcome mistakes in these areas in league play

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
One thing that disappointed me and yesterday, was that Auburn seem to have more aggressiveness energy and fight especially as the second half wore on

And I really think Coach Johnson needs to develop something of a set rotation with his lineup

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Seems like Coach Johnson puts in players and looks for the one with the hot hand.

I keep expecting the turnovers to start going down but Ingram and Key and the rest still make knucklehead mistakes with turnovers. I mention Ingram and Key specifically because they are freshmen and I expect to see improvement as the year goes along and they are probably more talented than the rest.

Coach Johnson is still building a team with his players so it is taking time. He came to Bama without any recruiting network but has got it going now.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Could have played better, no doubt, but 42 vs 19 free throws wasn't all on the players
Probably some home cooking, but I wouldn't put it all on the refs. Looked to me it was called like they've been calling them all year. We're starting to adjust. We're beginning to realize that the refs are calling every little bump if you're attacking the basket, so we're driving more. It's working and we need to continue to do that. It puts Wiley in a position to get put back buckets too.

Y'all weren't attacking the basket and putting us in a position to foul.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
First half, we did and a little less start of next half, players tend to adjust to where they are allowed to flow...getting bumped on drives that results in effect a turnover they tend go away from it. Hands and bodies were on our guys all game, but we got called for everything within a breath. But I guess they have to play through that, have at some points this season...good example the 3s before the half

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
That's all on AJ and the team, because if you don't know by now Allbarn has always gotten home cooking by the refs in every sport for years! It is what it is, and you have to prepare for that. So it's on the opposing team to figure out a way to overcome what will always happen on the plains. Poor effort in the 2nd half by the team and staff is what led to this score beat down.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
We're beginning to realize that the refs are calling every little bump if you're attacking the basket, so we're driving more. It's working and we need to continue to do that. It puts Wiley in a position to get put back buckets too.
Sounds a little like a football game I watched a couple of weeks ago . . .

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I believe our biggest problem is that we simply ignored recruiting talent for the post ever since Grant arrived. To have any kind of consistent half court offense in major college ball, you have to have a dynamic guy down low to run some plays through and to. Hopefully, Giddens can be a guy next year if he can add some bulk at almost 7', 240. Right now, Taylor has no right hand game whatsoever and no jump shot, and Hall's offense appears to have a low ceiling if it doesn't involve a dunk. Austin Wileys don't grow on trees (and the ones who come along don't stay in college long), but we saw yesterday just how much we need to try to get one from a kid who could be a couple month's shy of his senior prom. Next year's class is dripping with talent, but unless Reese bulks up more and has a nice spurt, I'm unsure we have anyone down low in that class. It's like the the program thought it could flourish with a bunch of shooting guards and wing forwards who average 32% from three.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The officials didn't do us an favors, but we lost because we just struggle to score at times. The problem with Wiley was he camped out in the lane the whole 2nd half with zero lane violations. It is pretty easy to establish position when you are bigger and can just stay in the lane the whole possession.

I can't for the life of me understand Collins starting. He is not helping when he scores 2 points. Turnovers are a problem as Dazon seems to get out of control when he is pressured. Braxton tends to get a little wild as well but we are young and will be better next year. Auburn is a year ahead of us in recruiting. We kept Grant too long. Also the notion that Grant left us better off than Barbee left Auburn is a crock. We only have 2 of Grant's player contributing at all. The rest are gone or role players.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Amen, brother. Grant entombed the program - whether it was six feet under or because he couldn't recruit or develop anybody over or under 7 feet, and to say he left the program in better shape than Barbee left All-Bran's would take a real leap of reincarnation for even 6-9 "inoffensive" low post player...

I believe our biggest problem is that we simply ignored recruiting talent for the post ever since Grant arrived. To have any kind of consistent half court offense in major college ball, you have to have a dynamic guy down low to run some plays through and to. Hopefully, Giddens can be a guy next year if he can add some bulk at almost 7', 240. Right now, Taylor has no right hand game whatsoever and no jump shot, and Hall's offense appears to have a low ceiling if it doesn't involve a dunk. Austin Wileys don't grow on trees (and the ones who come along don't stay in college long), but we saw yesterday just how much we need to try to get one from a kid who could be a couple month's shy of his senior prom. Next year's class is dripping with talent, but unless Reese bulks up more and has a nice spurt, I'm unsure we have anyone down low in that class. It's like the the program thought it could flourish with a bunch of shooting guards and wing forwards who average 32% from three.

Last edited:

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
CAJ is going to need time to get this ship sailing in the right direction. The talent level he inherited was not good or not developed. He has some kids helping out this year and next year we will have more help. I know its hard to be patient but what else can we do when we had sunk so low IMO.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't have much to complain about except the Free Throw shooting. It's beyond horrendous. We rank 343rd out of 351 schools. It's just unacceptable to be that bad. It's pure lack of concentration.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
I don't have much to complain about except the Free Throw shooting. It's beyond horrendous. We rank 343rd out of 351 schools. It's just unacceptable to be that bad. It's pure lack of concentration.
I agree and the only other thing I would say is Jimmy Taylor's play. I don't like player bashing but I honestly don't understand how this kid is a D1 ball player?? He can't use is right hand to save his life and outside of his left hand hook shot, zero offense.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
We can blame Grant for that one. Not Jimmy's fault- he averaged 9 points per game at a 3A school ( Carbon Hill)-despite being 6-10 and playing no one close to his height. Just had no offensive skill set. How he was considered a 4 star recruit is a mystery.
I agree and the only other thing I would say is Jimmy Taylor's play. I don't like player bashing but I honestly don't understand how this kid is a D1 ball player?? He can't use is right hand to save his life and outside of his left hand hook shot, zero offense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We can blame Grant for that one. Not Jimmy's fault- he averaged 9 points per game at a 3A school ( Carbon Hill)-despite being 6-10 and playing no one close to his height. Just had no offensive skill set. How he was considered a 4 star recruit is a mystery.
Jimmie played at Greensboro High School, which is south of Tuscaloosa.

From his bio on the team website:

Rated in the ESPN Top 100 as the nation's No. 9 player at his position, No. 17 in the region and No. 69 overall recruit ... AL.com's No. 1-rated prospect in Alabama and listed among the Boys Super 5 and first team all-state following his senior season ... averaged 13 points, 11.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game as a senior ... named the Regional MVP by the Alabama High School Athletic Association ... tabbed the 2013 Tuscaloosa All-Metro Player of the Year ... participated in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star game ... led Greensboro High School to the 2011 Alabama 3A state title ... named tournament MVP during championship title run … selected to Tuscaloosa News Boys Super 5 in 2011 … named to 2011-2012 USA Developmental National Team.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm with Earle I think there are some issues with our practice habits. It's obvious that FT shooting is on your own time and probably has to be given time limitations on practice. But I also wonder about AJs practice methods because coaching college kids with limitations like some we have is different than coaching the Mavericks. But I will say in basketball you have to find your improvement during the game because the games come around so quick that quality practice during the season is not there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.