White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer blasts the media at first press conference

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
While I'm not entirely on board with the style of this presser....in the larger picture.....I'm glad to see (finally) someone in power is holding the media responsible for their actions.

Trump has to be the one to set the bar....and set the tone. He still has some work to do in this regard, IMHO.

That said.....I love the fact that he is calling out the media on the first day for being dishonest and manipulating their reporting to fill their agenda....and not the country's best interest.

Ultimately, the media can do a lot of good. I hope over time both Trump and the media get over their differences enough to do what's needed to fight against division in our dear country.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
You do realize that it is quite easy to contrast and compare the size of the crowds. From the images I have seen, I believe that the coverage is true, the size of trumps inauguration crowd did not appear as large as previous inauguration crowds. Whatever the reason, it wasn't as large. The media isn't lying. Can you explain how the media is "being dishonest and manipulating their reporting to fill their agenda?"

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Spicer "blasted" the media with lies, or "alternative facts" as Conway calls them. :rolleyes: You would think the 1st press "conference" would have been concerned with something more substantive than crowd size. Is this a sign of the next 4 years by a man-child president?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
You do realize that it is quite easy to contrast and compare the size of the crowds. From the images I have seen, I believe that the coverage is true, the size of trumps inauguration crowd did not appear as large as previous inauguration crowds. Whatever the reason, it wasn't as large. The media isn't lying. Can you explain how the media is "being dishonest and manipulating their reporting to fill their agenda?"
My question is why did the NY Times feel the necessity to send out that tweet about it?

The crowds were larger for both Obama's inauguration, no disagreement there.

If I were Trump, I wouldn't have even brought the matter up. That's where he (IMHO) went wrong.

In the larger picture of things...he's sending a message to hold the media responsible (in part) for the division of the country.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
My question is why did the NY Times feel the necessity to send out that tweet about it?

If I were Trump, I wouldn't have even brought the matter up. That's where he (IMHO) went wrong.

In the larger picture of things...he's sending a message to hold the media responsible (in part) for the division of the country.
Exactly

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Spicer "blasted" the media with lies, or "alternative facts" as Conway calls them. :rolleyes: You would think the 1st press "conference" would have been concerned with something more substantive than crowd size. Is this a sign of the next 4 years by a man-child president?
Point taken, but there was a lot more than "crowd size" mentioned in that presser.

Consider this....the reason (in your head) you feel that "crowd size" was the whole basis of the presser is because that is what the media is reporting this morning.

BOTH parties need to do a better job. But I look to the president to set the standard - not the media. I just hold them accountable - that's all.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Heres the thing. And I hope I don't offend but here is my major problem with your response.

Your response is focusing upon the fact that the administration is holding the media responsible for splitting the country. In an ancillary way you are also upset when a newspaper makes an observation comparing two crowd sizes. As if there is some responsibility on the press to not let the American people remember the differences.

All the while you seem to have no problem with the press secretary getting up in the administrations first press conference and tell a bald faced lie. I know you will say that there were other things in the press conference, but by your own admission there was a lie pushed out during the press conference. Then when the press couldn't question, you will have trump die hards who will remember spizer "sticking it to that dishonest lying media" and that there is finally "someone in the whitehouse who will take it to the press". This is hugely dangerous.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Consider this....the reason (in your head) you feel that "crowd size" was the whole basis of the presser is because that is what the media is reporting this morning.
Youre 100% wrong. I watched this press conference live. My jaw dropped when I was watching it because I couldnt believe it. It doesn't take a reporter telling me that he was focused about crowd size when the definitive message I got from watching it was that he was livid trumps crowd size was reported as smaller.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Point taken, but there was a lot more than "crowd size" mentioned in that presser.

BOTH parties need to do a better job. But I look to the president to set the standard - not the media. I just hold them accountable - that's all.
True, I did not listen to it. Only heard what seems to be the big news lead out of it - Spicer ignoring the facts and being caught in a lie. That is a big deal however. I know "they all do it" but not usually on something so petty and on the first day.
Can someone enlighten me as to what Spicer said that was substantive ? Also, did he take questions?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
True, I did not listen to it. Only heard what seems to be the big news lead out of it - Spicer ignoring the facts and being caught in a lie. That is a big deal however. I know "they all do it" but not usually on something so petty and on the first day.
Can someone enlighten me as to what Spicer said that was substantive ? Also, did he take questions?
No questions. He essentially blasted the press then dropped the mic.

Only thing of substance was the schedule next week and planned meetings with foreign leaders.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Heres the thing. And I hope I don't offend but here is my major problem with your response.

Your response is focusing upon the fact that the administration is holding the media responsible for splitting the country. In an ancillary way you are also upset when a newspaper makes an observation comparing two crowd sizes. As if there is some responsibility on the press to not let the American people remember the differences.

All the while you seem to have no problem with the press secretary getting up in the administrations first press conference and tell a bald faced lie. I know you will say that there were other things in the press conference, but by your own admission there was a lie pushed out during the press conference. Then when the press couldn't question, you will have trump die hards who will remember spizer "sticking it to that dishonest lying media" and that there is finally "someone in the whitehouse who will take it to the press". This is hugely dangerous.
Interestingly, the media gladly accepted lies from the lectern for the past 8 years. Strange that the media and liberals now suddenly care about lies.

Anyway, the dustup over the crowd size is ridiculous. The only positive for Trump out of it is that it sucks up air time that could be spent discussing Trump's nominations, Trump's policies, people walking in the streets on Saturday, etc.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think the size of the crowd for the inauguration is irrelevant. As in, I've never heard it reported on before, for any president of any party.

My issue is with the one-way treatment. It's pretty clear the national media are trying to paint Trump as an illegitimate president, and using the relative size of the inauguration crowd as evidence of his lack of support in the populace. Two responses to that:

First, if crowd size is an indicator of overall support, where were they when Clinton was speaking to half-filled rooms? They actually made fun of the crowds Trump was gathering, characterizing them as hordes of rubes and knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers.

Second, it is a 100% fact that Trump's support on the coasts was weak -- most especially in the DC to Connecticut and Los Angeles to San Francisco areas. As I posted not long after the election, these areas are wildly out of sync with the entire rest of the country. They went for Clinton about 2.5 or 3 to 1. The rest of the country was about 53/47 or so pro-Trump.

Point of this being that I'm guessing the lion's share of the crowd at any inauguration is made up of people who live not too far from DC (I know people from all over the country come, but when you're talking six-figure crowds, the numbers have to be concentrated in locals). Which would mean they heavily supported Clinton, were dumbfounded when she lost, and judging from the wailing and gnashing of teeth, are still greatly butt-hurt about it. Not exactly the recipe for attendance.

In another front, I find it hilarious that the left is whining about the Electoral College. Here's the deal: the Electoral College in general, and the Senate in particular, were created to protect those states with smaller populations (a/k/a the minority) from being continually squashed by the majority.

At the time, in an agrarian society, it was the New England states being worried about getting steamrolled by the southern farm states.

Given that the Democratic Party has historically styled itself as the party of the minority, and has in fact cobbled together a bunch of minorities of various sorts to assemble a formidable voting bloc, they are now hoist by their own petard. But they don't see the irony. It is delicious.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

You really took a whole lot of liberties with what I posted. Who's side are you on anyway? :D

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This guy needs a nickname akin to Baghdad Bob. How about D.C. Sean?

The guy is blatantly lying through his teeth.

Trump sure is concerned about the size of his....whatever.

Trump is proving that he is even worse than Obama when it comes to the press. I understand that the WH press sec. is going to give their spin, but this is pure propaganda and lies.

He's not holding the press accountable for reporting lies. He's letting the press know that if they report a truth that is seen as harmful or even insulting that the power of the government (perhaps only in the form of the "bully pulpit") will be brought down on them.

I really don't understand why anyone is buying this. D.C. Sean's lies are easily disproven. Even in the photo he presents it is clear crowd size is smaller than Obama's. That's nothing to be ashamed of - I mean, it's not surprising that a black man's is bigger. No reason to be insecure about it. Size isn't everything. You still have to know what to do with it. By contrast the march the very next day was larger by far but regardless of size someone knew how to make all those women feel something deep down or it wouldn't have mattered.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Speaking to Chuck Todd on NBC’s Meet the Press, Mr Trump’s senior aide, Kellyanne Conway, was asked to explain why Mr Spicer "uttered a falsehood" about Mr Trump having the "largest crowd in Inauguration history".

"Don’t be so overly dramatic about it, Chuck. You’re saying it’s a falsehood [...] Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that," she responded.

"Alternative facts are not facts. They are falsehoods," said Mr Todd.

"It’s symbolic of the way we are treated by the press," she replied, adding her administration might have to "rethink their relationship" with the media.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ing-donald-trump-administration-a7540441.html

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.