Spain Park to Orlando to Auburn in 80 days, The Austin Wiley Saga

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Y'all got the school wrong. He took classes at Calusa Prep and played athletically at Conrad. There's a good reason for that. Unlike Conrad Academy, Calusa Prep is accredited by SACS through AdvancED.

They were very diligent about this.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Y'all got the school wrong. He took classes at Calusa Prep and played athletically at Conrad. There's a good reason for that. Unlike Conrad Academy, Calusa Prep is accredited by SACS through AdvancED.

None of the media releases I linked or have read said anything about Calusa

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Funny the only place reporting the calusa - conrad - wiley love triangle is auburn undercover(up)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
As I mentioned earlier, it will be interesting to see if this starts to occur more frequently. Some players may not take it too well when someone shows up mid-season and plays without having put in the pre-season work and practices that the rest of the team went through.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Did you actually provide a link to google? Please

In the last week I have done multiple searches for Austin Wiley, transfer, etc, and out of about 12 or 15 links I read most of which were the same story just regurgitated in different Outlets, I found one last night from 24/7 that mentioned Calusa prep

After you what did Wiley actually graduated from Calusa, I did a search for Wiley and caluso again, and finally found a report from the Auburn undercover up site that mentioned he graduated from Calusa

Plus it seems like Auburn was trying to keep this Calusa thing on the "downlow"

To me this raises more questions, and seems even more sketchy. How in the world was he playing basketball in Orlando, yet apparently doing all kinds of great academic work in Miami at the same time? Reeks of the moochie Norris deal

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article...stin-Wiley-cleared-to-play-at-Auburn-49850249

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
But according to AUDUB everything was on the up and up on this deal. Just ask him. Just like everything Bruce Pearl has ever been involved in.
Did you actually provide a link to google? Please

In the last week I have done multiple searches for Austin Wiley, transfer, etc, and out of about 12 or 15 links I read most of which were the same story just regurgitated in different Outlets, I found one last night from 24/7 that mentioned Calusa prep

After you what did Wiley actually graduated from Calusa, I did a search for Wiley and caluso again, and finally found a report from the Auburn undercover up site that mentioned he graduated from Calusa

Plus it seems like Auburn was trying to keep this Calusa thing on the "downlow"

To me this raises more questions, and seems even more sketchy. How in the world was he playing basketball in Orlando, yet apparently doing all kinds of great academic work in Miami at the same time? Reeks of the moochie Norris deal

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article...stin-Wiley-cleared-to-play-at-Auburn-49850249

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But according to AUDUB everything was on the up and up on this deal. Just ask him. Just like everything Bruce Pearl has ever been involved in.
I told PitMaster to start this thread so we didn't have a petty back and forth in the other thread.

Really, I don't want the petty back and forth in this one, either. No need for the first paragraph. Don't make comments like that about another poster. Simply say Auburn fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Makes sense to me now that his Mom was quoted on multiple sites declining to name the intended transfer destination

I believe the aubs wanted to hide the fact this guy was going to a hoops factory in Orlando, yet graduate a semester early from a small academy in Miami

Usa Today release, mentions Conrad ONLY

http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/08/...ustin-wiley-transfers-to-orlando-prep-school/

This from an auburn undercover-up report...

"The decision leave Spain Park High School in Hoover, Vickie Orr-Wiley said, was based on her son’s desire to be the best he can be. Orr-Wiley confirmed only that he will transfer to a prep school in Florida."

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I get the feeling this will be a trend going forward.
Teams are going to have an open spot for it. I'm not sure how likely it's going to grow.

Been mentioned Jarnell Stokes did it. We didn't see it grow after him.

Things will have to fall in place for teams to do it.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Teams are going to have an open spot for it. I'm not sure how likely it's going to grow.

This is kind of how I'm thinking as well. However, it seems that there are often scholarships left open or maybe filled by a walk-on so some coaches may put this process in when they think it will give them an edge in recruiting a player. Still, a lot of things have to fall into place to make it fit.

Jarnell Stokes is a perfect example in that I am fairly certain he wanted to go to the University of Memphis but they had no openings when he decided to graduate early and head to college so he ended up at UT. Maybe if Stokes had left UT after 1-and-half and he had become a big name NBA player then others would have followed; Stokes staying an additional year after NBA draft eligibility softened the story. Wiley may be the one who brings more visibility to this.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I am going to disagree here. I think folks in places like Lexington, Durham, Chapel Hill, Lawrence, etc - the places most used to dealing with 1 and 2 and done type guys - are racing around to see how they can do this. I think heads are spinning with the question "Why did we never think of this?"

If you have a true 1 and done, or even 2 and done type talent, if you follow the pearl template then you essentially get a free year from the kid. Wiley missed about a month of game action, but of course the important thing is the kid will be available for the entire conference season and tournament action.

A place like Kentucky would be getting 2 NCAA tournaments for the price of 1

And it is very interesting that the process seemed so easy, and the SEC and NCAA were so quick to approve. The kid transfered right at the first of September, he was playing for auburn December 19th???...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I am going to disagree here. I think folks in places like Lexington, Durham, Chapel Hill, Lawrence, etc - the places most used to dealing with 1 and 2 and done type guys - are racing around to see how they can do this. I think heads are spinning with the question "Why did we never think of this?"
They're aware of it, the kind of kids they recruit - even Cal at UK - just don't need such academic musical chair flimflammery to get into school. Or if they did, K or Self or maybe even Cal would simply say "Sorry. Next..."

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
They're aware of it, the kind of kids they recruit - even Cal at UK - just don't need such academic musical chair flimflammery to get into school. Or if they did, K or Self or maybe even Cal would simply say "Sorry. Next..."
The concept of 1-and-a-half-and-done doesn't have to involve the academic flim-flammery. This could grow if players decide they want to graduate early at their "regular" school and coaches will want to accommodate in order to get them. Coaches could start pushing it as well. An optimistic look at it is that it will be better for the player to get the additional time in college life...I don't think I'm that much of an optimist though.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
The concept of 1-and-a-half-and-done doesn't have to involve the academic flim-flammery. This could grow if players decide they want to graduate early at their "regular" school and coaches will want to accommodate in order to get them. Coaches could start pushing it as well. An optimistic look at it is that it will be better for the player to get the additional time in college life...I don't think I'm that much of an optimist though.
It does not have to deal with academic Shenanigans, I agree, but in this case...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.