Spain Park to Orlando to Auburn in 80 days, The Austin Wiley Saga

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The concept of 1-and-a-half-and-done doesn't have to involve the academic flim-flammery. This could grow if players decide they want to graduate early at their "regular" school and coaches will want to accommodate in order to get them. Coaches could start pushing it as well. An optimistic look at it is that it will be better for the player to get the additional time in college life...I don't think I'm that much of an optimist though.
Still dubious - too many moving parts, and the flimsiness (never mind the flimflammery) of such machination unspools. Like: I don't know the vagaries of literally signing with a school the day before you step foot on the court for same, but a coach would have to plug in a walk-on to his roster for roughly the first half of the season (or two or three if they started going this route regularly with the NCAA's benediction), and then have the "moving parts" (incoming still-should-be-schoolboys) supplant them. And supplant team chemistry as well? You could argue that Coach K would be delighted to have such an "opportunity" at this very moment, but I would wager otherwise. Like: Instead of plugging in walk-ons, you could offer half-(year) scholarships, and withdraw them at will when the apposite signee shows up.

And realistically, how does a babe-out-of-the-woods player learn his (or any legit coach's) system on the first January day he shows up? Yeah, you would probably get a steady diet of Ben Simmons and the four freelancers star system and a sub-.500 conference record in the end. I see only desperado Pearl and maybe another "show-causer" or two getting in line (Larry Brown?) for such gaming of the system.

Last edited:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Did you actually provide a link to google? Please

In the last week I have done multiple searches for Austin Wiley, transfer, etc, and out of about 12 or 15 links I read most of which were the same story just regurgitated in different Outlets, I found one last night from 24/7 that mentioned Calusa prep

After you what did Wiley actually graduated from Calusa, I did a search for Wiley and caluso again, and finally found a report from the Auburn undercover up site that mentioned he graduated from Calusa

Plus it seems like Auburn was trying to keep this Calusa thing on the "downlow"

To me this raises more questions, and seems even more sketchy. How in the world was he playing basketball in Orlando, yet apparently doing all kinds of great academic work in Miami at the same time? Reeks of the moochie Norris deal

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article...stin-Wiley-cleared-to-play-at-Auburn-49850249
Pit - You are on the right track but don't get lost in the weeds of academics and Calusa Prep. Everybody knows what that is. Figure out where the "school" came from, who it is connected to, and why it is in the Orlando area, and why Auburn people might be the only ones that can put together what is going on.

Hint - Carlton E. Conrad.

http://www.conradco.com/

[url]https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericka-schwarm-0535225b

[/URL]

Last edited:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
And for good measure--------

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2016/06/hubbard-absolutely-not-guilty-of-any-of-the-charges

Quote -
Hubbard said Edgenuity, an education technology firm, needed help getting approvals with the NCAA, and his experience and connections he made while working on two Heisman campaigns made him attractive to the company.
"They had a pretty big issue dealing with the NCAA where they were not approved through the NCAA for the clearinghouse…," Hubbard said. "They were having some problems down in Miami, I believe. I called my friend. ... I got them in contact with the right people. It was very successful for them monetarily."

Guess who uses Edgenuity in Miami? Calusa Elementary School. Must just be coincidence.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Conrad Companies is one of those places that you just can't find the end of----
Just using that profile to show the background of the people who run the Conrad Companies. I don't quite understand the connection between a mortgage service company started in Arizona and now in California and an Academy that, according to the website of the Conrad Companies was built for special needs kids in South Orlando. That same Academy is now -----quote-----The Conrad Academy is home to the FPSAA 2015-2016 Varsity Boys State Champions. (Florida Private School Athletic Association)
Conrad got its start as a mortgage default reclamation company. Who can we think of that was in the mortgage business in Arizona and Orlando, Florida in the nineties and early 2000s?
Conrad Academy is "just" another 501c3 for moving money.
From the Conrad Companies web site----------

Conrad Education Foundation is a proud supporter of The Conrad Academy, located in southeast Orlando. All programs, including sports teams and tutoring are open to the greater Orlando community. Whether your child is homeschooled, enrolled in a private school or public school, Conrad Education Foundation encourages you to consider these programs. Contact Information
Conrad Companies
476 West Vermont Ave.
Escondido, CA 92025
Tel: (800) 8 CONRAD
EMAIL
Connect With Us

And do some digging into her alma mater. Northern Arizona, (Conrad's school, too) was way ahead of the curve in financial packages for new construction on campus. And just one other area of similarity------------

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/lo...cle_1eadb01c-8a3e-11e3-8d7d-0019bb2963f4.html

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Sounds like Edgenuity is returning the favor to Hubbard and his AU cronies.

Seeing that mortgage connection - still makes me wonder how Lowder skated an indictment on that check-kiting scheme.

Last I'll say on this - as both a private school parent and someone with some degree of sympathy for the larger ed reform movement - "schools" like Conrad infuriate me.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
So why does this west coast company up and decide to start a Christian academy thousands of miles away in South Fla? And how was Wiley able to play for Conrad yet get educated so quickly and well at Calusa?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yes, I saw the video. Apparently there is no such thing as a lane violation for him. He camped, had dinner, and took a nap in the lane. The same thing he did last year and the officials never called him for it. The guy has NBA body for sure. Does he have the brains to make it is my question.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Wiley is done at Auburn. Mom was apparently having money funneled to her- as was Heron's mom. The whole Wiley saga had a million red flags from the start. Would love to hear our resident Auburn poster's take on these recent development. Heron will also be gone- Bruce Pearl? Who knows- but this is what happens when you are the only school EVER to hire a coach with a show cause. Good riddance.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wiley is done at Auburn. Mom was apparently having money funneled to her- as was Heron's mom. The whole Wiley saga had a million red flags from the start. Would love to hear our resident Auburn poster's take on these recent development. Heron will also be gone- Bruce Pearl? Who knows- but this is what happens when you are the only school EVER to hire a coach with a show cause. Good riddance.
Is this confirmed? or just a hunch on your behalf?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
But who else became eligible January of 2017 at Auburn? I do not see anyone else. How could it not be him?
Read the report carefully. I made the same mistake before figuring it out. They were no doubt discussing him as a potential target during the November convo, but it's vague at best as to his involvement after that. P1 is definitely not him. No step dad, only child. That leaves only P2, which could be anybody.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.