Spain Park to Orlando to Auburn in 80 days, The Austin Wiley Saga

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
After watching Austin Wiley dominate the paint against Alabama, Saturday, I began to wonder about the process that allowed a guy who would normally be halfway through his Senior year of High School, instead enroll in college and be immediately eligible to play. If this were such an easy process, would it not be more common place at Programs like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, etc - Programs that are more involved with "one or two and done"type talents? Would those Programs not be all about getting 2 Conference seasons and NCAA Tournaments out of a player instead of the normal one?

I knew only the basic info on Wiley, but found his situation curious. So I decided to explore it in a little more detail, and learn what I could.

FIRST - A DISCLAIMER OF SORTS

1) I do not like auburn, and believe they have a long history of being willing to bend and break rules
2) I do not like Bruce Pearl, and think his history is much the same (to my knowledge Bruce being hired by AU is the only example of a coach being hired while under a current NCAA Show - Cause)

Now, proceeding...

Austin Wiley announced in August of last year (2016) he was transferring from Spain Park High of Hoover, AL, to a place called Conrad Academy in the Orlando Area. This was reported August 29, 2016 by Matthew Stevens, "Auburn Authority" in Montgomery, and various news outlets...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...wiley-transfers-orlando-prep-school/89570638/

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/auburn_basketball_commit_austi.html

Wiley was spotted at a Spain Park Football game August 27, then on the 29th he is headed to Conrad - so why that move?

There was speculation among AUBURN people last spring and summer that Wiley was not very dedicated academically and might not have been eligible academically for Spain Park in 2016-17. If so, that could explain the move. There is a poster on this site with ties to Spain Park that is pretty adamant this was the case.But there are probably just a very few people that know for certain the facts of this matter.

Almost immediately, the same auburn types who had been questioning Wiley's eligibility for Spain Park, began murmuring about the possibility he could graduate before the end of 2016, and be at auburn practicing and perhaps play when January classes began...

The two opposites poles of this matter are...

1) Wiley was in academic straits, and needed help to stay eligible for auburn NEXT year
Or
2) He was ahead of the game academically, and transferred because he could become eligible at Conrad to play for Auburn THIS year

But unless he was pretty far ahead of a normal academic pace, how did he obtain enough credits at Conrad to graduate High School after only 3 months there? Because, in mid December, this was reported...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...olled-and-eligible-play-immediately/95518336/

So, Wiley transfers August 29th or so, and by December 16th the following all have occurred

1) Enrolls at Conrad
2) Graduates from Conrad
3) Applies at Auburn
4) Applies with SEC to be allowed to transfer to Auburn effective immediately
5) Applies with NCAA to do the same
6) Gets accepted at Auburn
7) Gets waiver from SEC
8) Gets waiver from NCAA
9) Is on campus and practicing by Dec. 16th

That is a fast track that you rarely see, especially where clearinghouse type things are involved.

I tried to remember the last time this happened, if ever, and my search revealed it was Jarnell Stokes in 2011. Stokes was able to graduate in December in Memphis, and was allowed to enroll at Tennessee for Cuonzo Martin when January classes began in Knoxville. Interesting, because Bruce Pearl was canned at UT March 22 of 2011, and was the primary recruiter and reason Stokes ended up on The Hill.

Coincidence? Methinks not.

Some notes on Conrad, and these "Prep Schools" or "Academies" popping up in many places.

They are apparently not ruled by normal Florida State High School guidelines. As such, many infuse religion into their curricula, perform the pledge of allegiance to The Flag, and the like. However, they also are not limited into how much time they devote to athletic and academic pursuits. Conrad itself is a k5 to 12th grade, with only about 250 or 300 students, per my research. Also, there are NO academic requirements regarding GPA or the like, which theoretically would make it possible for a top player with academic issues to transfer in and quickly see the ship righted. If you look at the basketball website below, "Scholarships Available" is prominently displayed, and players who board have nice apartments, plenty of amenities, all you can eat, etc.

www.conradhoops.com

The Academy Proper

www.conradacademy.org

In short, these type facilities appear to me to be a sort of AAU Program that is tied in to academics, thus being able to give credits and diplomas. As they are not under FHSAA directives, they can play and practice as they wish, and many play a national type schedule. It would also seem that the opportunities for nefarious activity and skullduggery would be plentiful.

Just a reminder that auburn is no stranger to credit mills based in Florida...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/dec/14/auburn-reprimands-assistant-players-in-basketball/

I plan on researching this situation more, but thought this much was interesting enough to post in its own thread, per a mod's directive last night.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't know what to make of this but it is interesting. Thanks for starting a new thread on it.

The one issue I can see is that a school will have to keep a player eligible longer in order to get a full season out of him. With a one-and-done, I think they really only have to squeak through the fall semester to play the full season. With a one-and-a-half-and-done, the player would have to get through the spring and fall semester in order to play the one full season.

I wonder why Calipari has not gone this route for some of his players; seems right up his alley. Don't want too many one-and-a-half-and-done players on a team or they will take playing time from the one-and-done players.

It is similar to bringing in 3-and-done football players that graduate early except they finish out their football season at their high schools; also, there is the difference of getting part of a season out of the basketball player.

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Great post and thanks for following up on a subject that I initially brought up on game thread ( much to AUDUB's chagrin and disagreement). I think the combination of Bruce Pearl and the Auburn administration is the only answer to how this happened so quickly based on what I have heard.
After watching Austin Wiley dominate the paint against Alabama, Saturday, I began to wonder about the process that allowed a guy who would normally be halfway through his Senior year of High School, instead enroll in college and be immediately eligible to play. If this were such an easy process, would it not be more common place at Programs like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, etc - Programs that are more involved with "one or two and done"type talents? Would those Programs not be all about getting 2 Conference seasons and NCAA Tournaments out of a player instead of the normal one?

I knew only the basic info on Wiley, but found his situation curious. So I decided to explore it in a little more detail, and learn what I could.

FIRST - A DISCLAIMER OF SORTS

1) I do not like auburn, and believe they have a long history of being willing to bend and break rules
2) I do not like Bruce Pearl, and think his history is much the same (to my knowledge Bruce being hired by AU is the only example of a coach being hired while under a current NCAA Show - Cause)

Now, proceeding...

Austin Wiley announced in August of last year (2016) he was transferring from Spain Park High of Hoover, AL, to a place called Conrad Academy in the Orlando Area. This was reported August 29, 2016 by Matthew Stevens, "Auburn Authority" in Montgomery, and various news outlets...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...wiley-transfers-orlando-prep-school/89570638/

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/auburn_basketball_commit_austi.html

Wiley was spotted at a Spain Park Football game August 27, then on the 29th he is headed to Conrad - so why that move?

There was speculation among AUBURN people last spring and summer that Wiley was not very dedicated academically and might not have been eligible academically for Spain Park in 2016-17. If so, that could explain the move. There is a poster on this site with ties to Spain Park that is pretty adamant this was the case.But there are probably just a very few people that know for certain the facts of this matter.

Almost immediately, the same auburn types who had been questioning Wiley's eligibility for Spain Park, began murmuring about the possibility he could graduate before the end of 2016, and be at auburn practicing and perhaps play when January classes began...

The two opposites poles of this matter are...

1) Wiley was in academic straits, and needed help to stay eligible for auburn NEXT year
Or
2) He was ahead of the game academically, and transferred because he could become eligible at Conrad to play for Auburn THIS year

But unless he was pretty far ahead of a normal academic pace, how did he obtain enough credits at Conrad to graduate High School after only 3 months there? Because, in mid December, this was reported...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...olled-and-eligible-play-immediately/95518336/

So, Wiley transfers August 29th or so, and by December 16th the following all have occurred

1) Enrolls at Conrad
2) Graduates from Conrad
3) Applies at Auburn
4) Applies with SEC to be allowed to transfer to Auburn effective immediately
5) Applies with NCAA to do the same
6) Gets accepted at Auburn
7) Gets waiver from SEC
8) Gets waiver from NCAA
9) Is on campus and practicing by Dec. 16th

That is a fast track that you rarely see, especially where clearinghouse type things are involved.

I tried to remember the last time this happened, if ever, and my search revealed it was Jarnell Stokes in 2011. Stokes was able to graduate in December in Memphis, and was allowed to enroll at Tennessee for Cuonzo Martin when January classes began in Knoxville. Interesting, because Bruce Pearl was canned at UT March 22 of 2011, and was the primary recruiter and reason Stokes ended up on The Hill.

Coincidence? Methinks not.

Some notes on Conrad, and these "Prep Schools" or "Academies" popping up in many places.

They are apparently not ruled by normal Florida State High School guidelines. As such, many infuse religion into their curricula, perform the pledge of allegiance to The Flag, and the like. However, they also are not limited into how much time they devote to athletic and academic pursuits. Conrad itself is a k5 to 12th grade, with only about 250 or 300 students, per my research. Also, there are NO academic requirements regarding GPA or the like, which theoretically would make it possible for a top player with academic issues to transfer in and quickly see the ship righted. If you look at the basketball website below, "Scholarships Available" is prominently displayed, and players who board have nice apartments, plenty of amenities, all you can eat, etc.

www.conradhoops.com

The Academy Proper

www.conradacademy.org

In short, these type facilities appear to me to be a sort of AAU Program that is tied in to academics, thus being able to give credits and diplomas. As they are not under FHSAA directives, they can play and practice as they wish, and many play a national type schedule. It would also seem that the opportunities for nefarious activity and skullduggery would be plentiful.

Just a reminder that auburn is no stranger to credit mills based in Florida...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/dec/14/auburn-reprimands-assistant-players-in-basketball/

I plan on researching this situation more, but thought this much was interesting enough to post in its own thread, per a mod's directive last night.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Great post and thanks for following up on a subject that I initially brought up on game thread ( much to AUDUB's chagrin and disagreement). I think the combination of Bruce Pearl and the Auburn administration is the only answer to how this happened so quickly based on what I have heard.
Obviously it was you I referred to as having some ties to Spain Park

A burning question to me is if this process was so easy, why have the blue bloods not been using it for years? You are getting an extra NCAA Tourney out of elite talent...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
My kids are enrolled at a private school, and as a (sort of former) educator, I've spent a lot of time looking at private school websites - including those of Christian schools. Usually when a school has a website that nice, they have an awful lot to say about academics.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Have to say, I'm intrigued by this after looking at what is linked in the OP.

A few questions come to mind -

Any previous Conrad players in the NCAA right now?

Have any been denied by the Clearinghouse?

Since the Clearinghouse deemed him eligible, nothing can be done at this point.

Did a quick search on Conrad Academy on Google and found this website, which doesn't make the school look suspicious at all.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Before it is all over with Pearl is going to have the barn in trouble like he did with other places. It is a match made in heaven as far as I am concerned it will catch up to them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Graduating high school in December is not that difficult. As long as you have been keeping up as you go along, you should have plenty of credits going into your senior year. You would have to take both English composition and Literature at the same time instead of in different semesters and there may be something like Government and Economics that are one semester classes.

The big issue with a basketball player doing this is that he is leaving in the middle of the season. Football is over, but basketball is just getting started. If I were a coach and a guy said he wanted to graduate in December to go to college early I would wish him well and say he is no longer allowed to set foot in my gym or locker room.

I guess that is where the private schools come in. They just want your money and probably have a coach who knows the deal and is willing to have a guy on the team who already has his bags packed for college. I wouldn't be surprised to see some private high schools market to guys like Wiley. They bring in a bunch of guys to go there for just the fall semester. They play a schedule heavily laden with Thanksgiving and Christmas tournaments where they travel to places where they play top high school teams in the country to get them ready for ACC play.

I think the whole deal is kind of shady but I wouldn't be surprised to see us have one someday. I really think the NCAA should step in as this is not good for high school basketball if it becomes more common.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Graduating high school in December is not that difficult. As long as you have been keeping up as you go along, you should have plenty of credits going into your senior year. You would have to take both English composition and Literature at the same time instead of in different semesters and there may be something like Government and Economics that are one semester classes.

The big issue with a basketball player doing this is that he is leaving in the middle of the season. Football is over, but basketball is just getting started. If I were a coach and a guy said he wanted to graduate in December to go to college early I would wish him well and say he is no longer allowed to set foot in my gym or locker room.

I guess that is where the private schools come in. They just want your money and probably have a coach who knows the deal and is willing to have a guy on the team who already has his bags packed for college. I wouldn't be surprised to see some private high schools market to guys like Wiley. They bring in a bunch of guys to go there for just the fall semester. They play a schedule heavily laden with Thanksgiving and Christmas tournaments where they travel to places where they play top high school teams in the country to get them ready for ACC play.

I think the whole deal is kind of shady but I wouldn't be surprised to see us have one someday. I really think the NCAA should step in as this is not good for high school basketball if it becomes more common.
Careful, now - not all private schools fit your caricature. Birmingham has many fine private schools. If you'll note the above time line, Wiley left his public school for a private academy in Orlando so he could finish his credits early. He couldn't have done this had he stayed at Spain Park. The Clearinghouse did what they did so there's no going back, but it seems quite obvious that Conrad is a diploma mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Have to say, I'm intrigued by this after looking at what is linked in the OP.

A few questions come to mind -

Any previous Conrad players in the NCAA right now?

Have any been denied by the Clearinghouse?

Since the Clearinghouse deemed him eligible, nothing can be done at this point.

Did a quick search on Conrad Academy on Google and found this website, which doesn't make the school look suspicious at all.
Lol yes!

Notice they had the war eagle flying out of The Cross as well..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Careful, now - not all private schools fit your caricature. Birmingham has many fine private schools. If you'll note the above time line, Wiley left his public school for a private academy in Orlando so he could finish his credits early. He couldn't have done this had he stayed at Spain Park. The Clearinghouse did what they did so there's no going back, but it seems quite obvious that Conrad is a diploma mill.

I apologize if it seemed like I was saying all private schools are like this. I do believe the vast majority are good places.

But I do think a lot of sports focused schools are diploma mills. Those are ones that I think would target guys like Wiley.

Thanks to the person who started this thread. I think it is an interesting topic in general, not just because it involves a barn player.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
And this comes as a surprise to no one. Clearly this is a diploma mill and the rules were circumvented. Does anyone really think this kid graduated early and was capable of college level work? I am sure all his classes are directed reading classes.

This is why Pearl and Auburn are a match made in heaven. A coach who has proven he is willing to break the rules and a school who abets the coach or at best looks the other way.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I have noticed that AUDUB has disappeared from this discussion. Do not think he liked the lack of hospitality on this subject- his final word was "prove it". So typical it is laughable.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
His dad clearly did not like the SP coach from my view at a SP game last year. Wiley Sr. was sitting on the row in front of me.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The most curious thing to me is how both the SEC and NCAA not only approved the situation but approved it so quickly. In the past, it seemed the NCAA clearinghouse tried to act like they really cared about keeping the "integrity" of academics at the forefront of the college game, which is something I wish they actually would do. However, this type of example just seems to indicate that the term student-athlete is often a myth. I am always proud of the young men and women who take advantage of their physical skills but also use their intellect to get their degrees. I wish football and basketball would have minor leagues or semi-pro leagues where guys could go play for money if they liked. I suppose I could watch Ivy League sports, but they don't seem to get a lot of air time for some curious reason.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
The most curious thing to me is how both the SEC and NCAA not only approved the situation but approved it so quickly. In the past, it seemed the NCAA clearinghouse tried to act like they really cared about keeping the "integrity" of academics at the forefront of the college game, which is something I wish they actually would do. However, this type of example just seems to indicate that the term student-athlete is often a myth. I am always proud of the young men and women who take advantage of their physical skills but also use their intellect to get their degrees. I wish football and basketball would have minor leagues or semi-pro leagues where guys could go play for money if they liked. I suppose I could watch Ivy League sports, but they don't seem to get a lot of air time for some curious reason.
Yes, literally in like a 14 week span, Wiley went from potential academic trouble to graduating high school

That was followed up about being accepted to Auburn approved by the SEC, approved by the NCAA, being able to practice @ auburn by December 16th

Another question just hit me - he was allowed to practice with the team that he was not enrolled in classes yet?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, literally in like a 14 days span, Riley went from potential academic trouble to graduating high school

That was followed up about being accepted to Auburn approved by the SEC, approved by the NCAA, being able to practice @ auburn by December 16th

Another question just hit me - he was allowed to practice with the team that he was not enrolled in classes yet?
His participation prior to a new term starting stuck out to me, as well. Typically, players aren't allowed to play until January when the new term starts.

Anyone know when the spring term at Auburn began?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
His participation prior to a new term starting stuck out to me, as well. Typically, players aren't allowed to play until January when the new term starts.

Anyone know when the spring term at Auburn began?

Per the Auburn website, 2017 spring classes began January 11th

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.