*** 2017 K Joseph Bulovas Commits to Bama ***

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Re: kicker Joseph Bulovas just decommited from GaTech

Welcome aboard Joseph, I love your watches. Now, maybe if the criticism of kickers on here will quieten down a little, maybe we can get him on campus.
HAHA..We're Crimson Tide Fans my friend & that means the criticism never stops..I thought about putting that in blue, but, it's the truth I'm afraid..(G)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

One concern I have is his stats on 24/7 sports and HUDL. In 2015 he was 7/14 on FG with a long of 38. In 2016 he was 11/25 with a long of 50. Not to be negative but those stats are worse than Griffith. He was 89% on PAT''s last year which also isn't great. Looks like he has a strong leg but, like Griffith, accuracy may not be his strong suit.
I agree that those are very concerning. I don't like looking at high school stats because they seem to vary and it's hard to get context, but his none of his punting or place kicking numbers really jump out to me (in a good way at least). He seems to have a big leg, but by contrast Shelley was automatic within his range and did not have a big leg.

The interesting thing though is that there seems to be a lot of potential there. He can punt as well, so he becomes a backup plan at that position I suppose. It does seem to me that he'll have to improve his accuracy to become the primary place kicker. It does seem possible that he end up in a Cade Foster like position, where he does kickoffs and long field goals. It also seems possible that like AG, he end up being a backup at first. Neither of these are ideal of course, Alabama fans are hoping for an immediate impact. It's hard to imagine though that in the very least there isn't a battle at the PK position between he and Andy.

The Andy is 14/15 on PATs at the college level. Both his missed PAT and missed field goal came in his first season at Ole Miss. I saw where Andy was 15/21 on field goals at one point in his senior year, not stellar but that puts him in line with AG on a decent year. This sentence was important: "He has not yet messed [sic] an extra point kick.". Andy kicked a lot of field goals in high school, he set the state record. So, it does seem to me that if Joseph is erratic in the very least Andy could do the short stuff.

Oh yeah, Joseph can play quarterback to, that part is interesting. It seems like it would have more value if he was a punter, but at this point all in all Joseph feels like a clear plan b and kind of a backup plan vs. a guy we can anticipate coming in right away and taking over all the PK duties. One thing Alabama fans have to be careful about, is getting excited because Alabama gets a fairly highly ranked kicker. Alabama has had highly ranked kickers, the problem is a few of them didn't perform at an elite level in college.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I don't care what he did in HS, as long he can develop in college and I'm happy. I don't expect him to start right away kicking on all field goals. They might start him on shorter field goals and work his way back to build his confidence. We do have other kicker on the staff and will probably spilt duties between those two. He will be fine. Whatever you did in HS, that's a moot point because once you get to college, you get to start over.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Great pickup indeed! I know you don't ever want your kicker making a tackle but with his size you don't cringe nearly as much as you would have if Ruiz had tried to make one at 168. Also another Louisiana guy in the fold.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I don't care what he did in HS, as long he can develop in college and I'm happy.
We'd all agree with that, but we've seen this cycle of overhyping a kicker, then when he doesn't live up to the hype bashing said kicker. I mean I'm not sure people remember this, but there was some talk of whether or not AG as an EE could play in the championship against Notre Dame... there was a scholarship kicker that never even started at Alabama. Heck at one point Alabama had 3 kickers on scholarship. So the hype can and sometimes does get out well ahead of reality. I think in this case realistic expectations are very important.
Looks like we upgraded
Perhaps Bulovas has a better upside, but by all appearances Bulovas is a plan B. That doesn't mean he can't turn out to be better though, but if Maxpreps is correct Ruiz was really accurate as a senior. 85% field goal percentage with a long of 58. He was also 66/67 on PATs. I can see why Saban wanted him.

Anyway I did find out that the Maxprep numbers on Boluvas did seem to be way off for some reason. Here's what Bulovas did his junior year apparently: Bulovas hit 13-of-18 field goals last year, with a long of 52 yards. He also averaged 45 yards per punt. Here's what Maxpreps said he did: 7/14, long of 38, 38.7 average. The Maxprep numbers were really messed up, those other numbers aren't bad and that punting average sounds promising.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

Since he was a QB in HS as well, should make for fun opportunities for fake FGs if he can throw the ball.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Great pickup indeed! I know you don't ever want your kicker making a tackle but with his size you don't cringe nearly as much as you would have if Ruiz had tried to make one at 168. Also another Louisiana guy in the fold.
Yeah, plus the "face" of the family heraldry reads:
"Takes a licking and keeps on kicking." Wait a minute - on seconds thought...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
You can't always go by h.s. stats as them being the true stats of his leg because of the simple fact it's h.s. Not every h.s. has a great snapper, a good holder, a decent line, etc. Many of those could have been blocked, a terrible hold or fumbled hold, or simply trying to kick through 5 guys that got through the line. So sorry I'm not on the "oh he sucks before he even gets here" train.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You can't always go by h.s. stats as them being the true stats of his leg because of the simple fact it's h.s. Not every h.s. has a great snapper, a good holder, a decent line, etc. Many of those could have been blocked, a terrible hold or fumbled hold, or simply trying to kick through 5 guys that got through the line. So sorry I'm not on the "oh he sucks before he even gets here" train.
Me either. The #1 kicker per Rivals and #3 kicker per 247 is not going to suck.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Me either. The #1 kicker per Rivals and #3 kicker per 247 is not going to suck.
I'm not saying AG sucked, not saying that at all... but a lot of people have questioned why Alabama didn't get Carlson, or what's wrong, or why someone isn't coaching place kickers, etc... So they seem to be unhappy with the results.

AG was the #1 rated kicker according to 247. Corey Smith was actually the #3 rated punter, but he supposedly had a great leg as a place kicker (I remember seeing something about a 60 yard field goal). He never was anything beyond a backup placekicker, and he was on scholarship mind you. So, like I said, I'm just trying to temper expectations. Because to some extent we've been there before, and the past 3 scholarships Alabama used at the position resulted in only 4 full time years as placekicker (and those years were rather average). I hope this guy turns out great, obviously, JK Scott has been everything we could have hoped, Cole Mazza was someone you didn't really hear much about, which is great for a long snapper. So yeah, this kid could turn out great...

But, he might not, and that's just how development at positions like this work sometimes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.