Poll: Is civility declining?

I believe civility has declined in my lifetime...

• Total voters

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'm not sure. I think we all know civility doesn't get ratings, so the news will sensationalize whatever it can. And people from either extreme take it how they want to support their cause/argument.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I honestly don't think so.

Consider how whites (particularly rich ones) once treated every non-white BY LAW (protected by) and every female BY LAW....I think we can truly say things are BETTER.

We certainly don't have whites murdering blacks with the complicity of police on a widespread scale (comparatively speaking) like we did just fifty years ago.

Most folks get along. Even most folks whose language is not the most civil are actually pretty decent folks.

Now....I think we DO have some people engaging in emotional blackmail and adopting the posture that they're offended by something that is absolutely ridiculous for them to make the claim they're genuinely offended. We DO have a small group of loud perpetually offended dopes who minimize true tragedies (like racism and sexism) by calling EVERYTHING racism or sexism.

But I think most folks are civil most of the time, too.

Except for that jack ash 92....he's a real......

(For those who don't know - I'm only saying that because I noted a little while back that while we disagree on everything I'm sure 92 is one helluva fun guy to watch a Tide game with).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In my lifetime, absolutely.
I was born the day after Kennedy got shot. (In the 1960 presidential debates, Nixon and Kennedy contemplated a joint campaign tour, at which they would both appear at campaign events, debating policies. Would this be conceivable now? Any Democrat who considered such a plan would be threatened with "being blown up" by Madonna.)
Since then, leftists have continued and accelerated their downward spiral.
Recently the right has started to punch back, after decades of being the civility punching bags.
Leftist take great umbrage at being treated the way they have treated their political opponents. "That's not the way the game it supposed to be played. We're supposed to be complete jerks, lying, fabricating, employing innuendo, and employing a completely different standards to leftist a-holes, and you're supposed to just take it."
Trump is the result of that.
Get used to it, leftists. You created him. Enjoy.

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I think we would have more agreeable discourse if we were still writing letters. It gives me time to see how foolish I'm being. I speak for myself, not trying to say it is true for others

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
You left off "on the roads or highways" as an option.:)

I don't think civility has declined as much as some extreme horse's behind-ness may be coming out more often than it used to. I don't know if these are mutually exclusive or not? I mean in public at least, I still see just as many people holding doors open, saying hi, being polite, etc. but I think I see more folks acting like they are being treated unfairly and acting on that (e.g. road rage).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.