News Article: Trump Signs Order To Continue Keystone, Dakota Pipelines

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
1. Expected.
2. Like the requirement for using US steel.
3. Hope that "expedited environmental review" doesn't turn out to be a euphemism for "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead".
I believe a number of environmental assessments have already been performed, so expedited federal review or even skipping a review altogether seems to be warranted.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Benefits to the United States. Win win for the US and Canada, our good neighbor. Cooperation has its rewards.

20,000 well-paying jobs during manufacturing and construction. Increase personal income for all America workers by $6.5 billion during the lifetime of the project. Generate an estimated $138.4 million in annual property tax revenue for state governments and local entities where the pipeline is located. Create $585 million in new taxes for communities among the pipeline route. Create more than $5.2 billion in property taxes during the lifetime of the pipeline.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Benefits to the United States. Win win for the US and Canada, our good neighbor. Cooperation has its rewards.

[FONT=&]20,000 well-paying jobs during manufacturing and construction. [/FONT][FONT=&]Increase personal income for all America workers by $6.5 billion during the lifetime of the project. [/FONT][FONT=&]Generate an estimated $138.4 million in annual property tax revenue for state governments and local entities where the pipeline is located. [/FONT][FONT=&]Create $585 million in new taxes for communities among the pipeline route. [/FONT][FONT=&]Create more than $5.2 billion in property taxes during the lifetime of the pipeline. More trees in the region will be hugged by sympathetic hippies and thus get some much needed human interaction.

[/FONT]
ETA extra fact.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Regarding the steel, the customer should get the best deal possible, so I don't see the justification for the domestic requirement.
Normally I'd agree, but China has been dumping cheap steel in the US for some time, so it doesn't bother me overmuch.

At the same time, it's interesting that President Trump would impose such a restriction given that the bulk of his Trump-branded merchandise is made overseas.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Normally I'd agree, but China has been dumping cheap steel in the US for some time, so it doesn't bother me overmuch.

At the same time, it's interesting that President Trump would impose such a restriction given that the bulk of his Trump-branded merchandise is made overseas.
This is not an issue that's high on my list either. But, I've seen conflicting studies about dumping and whether or not the country in question is really doing something nefarious, or if this is an alternative way for the US to impose protectionism. The devil is always in the details and the government's interpretation of the rules.

It reminds me of when I was a corporate lawyer doing antitrust work. There was plenty of wiggle room for interpretation. How connected the companies in question were or how disliked an industry was by the current administration seemed to be at least as much of a factor as any economic analysis.

Price gouging is another concept that is more political than economic.

In any event, China cheats at everything, so I refuse to get upset on their behalf.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...il&utm_term=0_5beb38b61e-0119a64269-122421549

If the city of Seattle really wants to break up with Wells Fargo Bank, it’s free to do so, the bank says. Now.

Calling for a bank that reflects the city’s values, the Seattle City Council
voted 9-0 last month to eventually cut banking ties with Wells Fargo because of its role as a lender to the Dakota Access Pipeline project.

The bill asks Mayor Ed Murray to inform Wells Fargo the city will not be renewing its financial-services contract when it expires at the end of 2018 and refrain from new cash investments in Wells Fargo securities for at least three years.

But if the city really wants out, the bank will sever its contract with the city immediately, with no penalty, and will help the city find a replacement, Phillip Smith, head of government and institutional banking for Wells Fargo, stated in a letter delivered to Murray and council members Tuesday.

In an interview, Smith said he was surprised to hear the city decided to terminate the relationship. The city sourced Wells Fargo through a competitive bid. Finding a replacement bank will therefore cost taxpayers more, he noted. It may also be difficult to do.

Of the other banks big enough to provide financial services for the city, most also are lenders to the
Dakota Access Pipeline, or its operator, Energy Transfer Partners, of Dallas, or for that matter, other pipelines and fossil-fuel energy projects, Smith noted.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota

A total of 210,000 gallons of oil leaked Thursday from the Keystone Pipeline in Marshall County, South Dakota, the pipeline's operator, TransCanada, said.

Crews shut down the pipeline Thursday morning and officials are investigating the cause of the leak. This is the largest Keystone oil spill to date in South Dakota, said Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the state's Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

In April 2016, there was a 400-barrel release -- or 16,800 gallons -- with the majority of the oil cleanup completed in two months, Walsh said.About 5,000 barrels of oil spilled Thursday.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The Atlantic Coast Pipeline is being considered near my palatial estate in Hooterville.
I'd be okay with it, as long as the gas company, in the event of something going bad, has to post a bond for the next century to cover the costs of any cleanup, plus damages (to the state) to the tune of say, 4 times the cost of restoring any property damaged in a mishap.

Why we continue to let energy companies to screw up, say, "Oops!" without hammering them like a tentpeg is beyond me. I wish a government would say, "You say it can be done safely and cleanly, fine. Do it, but if you screw up and spill oil, you are going to pay through the nose for the cleanup so do yourself a favor and don't screw up."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The Atlantic Coast Pipeline is being considered near my palatial estate in Hooterville.
I'd be okay with it, as long as the gas company, in the event of something going bad, has to post a bond for the next century to cover the costs of any cleanup, plus damages (to the state) to the tune of say, 4 times the cost of restoring any property damaged in a mishap.

Why we continue to let energy companies to screw up, say, "Oops!" without hammering them like a tentpeg is beyond me. I wish a government would say, "You say it can be done safely and cleanly, fine. Do it, but if you screw up and spill oil, you are going to pay through the nose for the cleanup so do yourself a favor and don't screw up."
this isn't done in large part because these types of things are considered "job-killing regulations"

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
this isn't done in large part because these types of things are considered "job-killing regulations"
In largest part, it’s not done because energy is critical to national survival. The “job-killing regulation” perspective doesn’t even register on the scale in comparison.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
In largest part, it’s not done because energy is critical to national survival. The “job-killing regulation” perspective doesn’t even register on the scale in comparison.
So you feel the federal position should be that Exxon is too big to fail? Noted.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
making energy companies financially responsible for their screw ups doesn't prevent them from providing energy

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.