Politics - why I left in the past, why I'm leaving again...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'd much rather spend time re-reading The Screwtape Letters than spend another second thinking about politics.

ETA: this is not an actual quote from the book, but it resonated with me...

Attachments

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
That mean you're leaving this forum for a while? If so I hate that, you are one of the more rational posters.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That mean you're leaving this forum for a while? If so I hate that, you are one of the more rational posters.
Thank you, and nope, I'm just dropping the political discussions. I've long felt that politics were simply a man-made game that people use to divide others, and that's never been more apparent in my lifetime then it is now. I once again refuse to take part in the game anymore.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The older I get the less and less I care about politics. To be sure, I'm a libertarian and strongly believe such philosophy and policy is by far the best for the country. But, if my fellow citizens want to hook their wagon to Bush/Obama/Hillary/Trump, then that's their privilege to be so clueless. That their decisions deprive me of some freedom and treasure is certainly irritating, but I've accepted that there's a cost for being around other people. I'm concerned with the personal and financial well being of my family and myself.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
While I can appreciate your position, as extra angst and stress is no good for anyone, I just couldn't ever bring myself to do it. I believe it is why we had people like Clinton and Trump even be in a position as our only choices. People with real jobs and responsibilities, not based upon greasing the wheels of the political machine, have given up on the process because it is either too painful, troublesome, or stressful. This leaves those who profit off of a lack of involvement by decent hard working people to control the show.

This isn't directed at you, but I have attempted in my personal life to get people more willing to debate ideas. Whether they share my views or not, their views are valid and I have worked hard to try and ensure that when we have discussions, I try to recognize that disagreement is vital for a healthy democracy. One thing I have done lately is begin prefacing any discussions I have with people on some underlying facts and whether they see them as facts or whether they see some "alternative fact" as being the ultimate truth. Debating with someone based upon fundamental differences is the surest way to devolve a discussion into an argument, and if we can't come to some basis of common ground there is no point to even starting. I find myself saying "I think we will just have to agree to disagree" an awful lot lately.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
C.S. Lewis always gets it right. I'd much rather spend time re-reading The Screwtape Letters than spend another second thinking about politics.

ETA: this is not an actual quote from the book, but it resonated with me...

I'm do for a re-read of that. Thanks for the reminder. It's excellent, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I certainly understand.

I made a comment in another thread about how my Facebook feed is filled with anti-Trump posts. Well, it is just as clogged with the pro-Trump stuff. It is just tiresome.

I have also gotten to where I really don't care. When I went to vote in November, I had the following things on my ballot:

President-Trump is carrying Alabama, why bother? I voted for Johnson as a protest vote (and to possibly help the party get ballot access) but I knew he had no shot and is a bigger moron than Trump.

Senate-I abstained because I'm tired of Shelby but again it didn't matter.

Congressman-I voted but who cares? no real choice here either.

A bunch of local offices-All Republican running unopposed. Didn't even bother looking at them.

If not for the amendments I probably wouldn't even have bothered voting and I wasn't really passionate about any of those issues, but wanted my voice to be heard.

In 2018 we have an open race for governor and possibly a special Senate election. Those will draw interest, but will be decided in the Republican primary.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Use all your newfound spare time setting up Google alerts for weird Florida news stories to share with everyone.

Thankfully this is one of the only places that I really indulge in any kind of politics. I ignore it all on Facebook although I'm stuck seeing a lot on Twitter because of business stuff but I don't engage in anything on there. With that said even with it being just here there are times when I have to just slip away for a bit and ignore it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thank you, and nope, I'm just dropping the political discussions. I've long felt that politics were simply a man-made game that people use to divide others, and that's never been more apparent in my lifetime then it is now. I once again refuse to take part in the game anymore.

Good for you - I admire your stance. Be happy to take over for you and keep the liberals in line. :D

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
This is one of the only places I engage in anymore either, even as rare as it is. Facebook has become a cesspool. Both sides seem to hate everyone who doesn't think like them. I've got Rabid Trump supporters & women's marcher friends. And unfortunately I can't have a decent discussion with any of them. (I could but none can see any view but their own)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I feel you, brother. It is the same people saying the same things over and over. I enjoy it in spells, but it gets old really quickly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.