Brent Musburger retiring

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
1984–1989: NCAA Football on CBS play-by-play (lead play-by-play, 1984–1988)

I always thought it curious that he claimed to be "hanging around with the Bear" while doing Alabama games although his NCAA career started the year after CPB passed. Never have liked Moosebooger, glad he is retiring. I would rather listen to Verne and Gary than he and Jesse Motormouth Palmer. Maybe GMAC will move up!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I guess I'm weird but I liked him and Verne too. Musburger had a great line in the BCSCG against ND. "Folks this is a mugging!"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The only thing that makes me feel "bad" is that this is yet another reminder of my own struggle with Father Time. Brent is only three years younger than Mary Tyler Moore, who passed away yesterday, and he's actually 14 months older than Uncle Verne.

As far as next on the chopping block - how about Skip Clueless?

On the flip side, when I first saw him at eight years old, I saw a complete and utter nerd. TOTALLY, and I didn't even know what that word meant then. I always thought Brent's greatest gift was the fact that he got canned at CBS the week before their MLB coverage began - forcing them to hire the incredible Jack Buck to call the games along with (Someone Strangle) Tim McCarver. As a Braves fan, I am SOOO glad that we have Buck's voice calling that memorable series. Can you imagine Musberger even trying to come up with, "And we'll see ya - tomorrow night!" when Kirby Puckett tied the series at three apiece?

But he got the best of that, too - he was on postgame coverage for Super Bowl XXV. I didn't 'have' to listen to him, and he got an up close seat to a great game.

In 1981, Jimmy the Greek punched him, I believe in a bar (details hazy to me, I was 11). After Greek got his walking papers following his anthropology lesson in 1988, somebody observed, "Jimmy the Greek wasn't all bad - after all, he punched Brent Musberger and made Phyllis George cry."

"You are LOOK-ing LIVE at the end of Brent's career."

RTR

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Goodbye Brent. Thanks for the memories. Keith Jackson was the GOAT. Herbstreit and Musburger together makes a man want to harm himself.

I liked Blackledge and Nessler.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Like him or not, you gotta admire the man's career and accomplishments in his field. For me, I thought he always did a great job until he got too far out on his skis trying to be an everyday man (aka stories about he and Coach Bryant that seemed fantasy; going too far with Kathryn Webb, etc.).

I had forgotten about that story with he and Jimmy the Greek. "Fortunately for my jaw," Musburger said yesterday from Los Angeles, "the Greek's punch is as accurate as his handicapping has been lately . . . wide to the left" . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...64f-beba-d123062c75e2/?utm_term=.2f3ab2d05a7a

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.