Link: Georgia Tech HC Paul Johnson complaining about ACC Scheduling

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with him, but prefer that head coaches stay out of this stuff. But maybe he is trying to challenge his team - get them started on an "us vs. the world" theme. But the reality is that this is GATech. This is not what will stop them from winning their conference this season.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Is the reason he still runs the triple option due to he is at a school who cannot compete in talent with the others in the ACC? Or would he run the triple option regardless of where he coached?
He would run the triple option if he was coaching basketball. That's all he knows.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You mean the Paul Johnson who just less than a month ago was crowing about his success last year against the SEC?

I guess there could be a different guy with that common name (there were actually two governors of MS, for example - a father and son - with that very common name) who also coaches in the ACC, but I doubt it.

Good ole dabaxter!!!!

DA was either his lawyer friend in Atlanta posting here or - perhaps - it stood for "Da Agent."

(If you were here in 2006 during the Saban hunt, you know what I'm talking about).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Is the reason he still runs the triple option due to he is at a school who cannot compete in talent with the others in the ACC? Or would he run the triple option regardless of where he coached?
62 is correct. It's ll he knows, much like Francione. (Fran once said while he was at Bama that he would run even more option, if it weren't for the fans.) When PJ was at Army, he was limited on talent. Now, it's just because he's limited. Also, it's probably good for a game or so a year, when he slips up on somebody. It's difficult to defend once a season...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
62 is correct. It's ll he knows, much like Francione. (Fran once said while he was at Bama that he would run even more option, if it weren't for the fans.) When PJ was at Army, he was limited on talent. Now, it's just because he's limited. Also, it's probably good for a game or so a year, when he slips up on somebody. It's difficult to defend once a season...
it's also difficult to defend if you are uga

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Saban made that point when he noted the incredible talent on the 2011 team and the fact his team LITERALLY "could not stop them."

Btw - not to pick nits but Johnson was at Navy - though Army has long run wishbone, too, so the mis-type is understandable.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Saban made that point when he noted the incredible talent on the 2011 team and the fact his team LITERALLY "could not stop them."

Btw - not to pick nits but Johnson was at Navy - though Army has long run wishbone, too, so the mis-type is understandable.
Yes, it was Navy. The coach there now was on his staff at Navy and stayed on when Johnson left for Georgia Tech (and has taken Navy to far greater heights). About the offense, I agree, Johnson would be triple option anywhere he goes. I remember around the time in question, before Coach Saban was hired, that it was mentioned that he would adjust his offense if he could coach at a program that could pull in better talent*. Now, I get it that Georgia Tech isn't going to recruit at the level Alabama does, but it's still a far cry from Navy. Yet his offense has changed little over the years.

*It was probably dabaxter that said this

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Sorry. I left the "a" out of "all" also. I've only had time to glance at the boards this AM...

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
You mean the Paul Johnson who just less than a month ago was crowing about his success last year against the SEC?

I guess there could be a different guy with that common name (there were actually two governors of MS, for example - a father and son - with that very common name) who also coaches in the ACC, but I doubt it.

Good ole dabaxter!!!!

DA was either his lawyer friend in Atlanta posting here or - perhaps - it stood for "Da Agent."

(If you were here in 2006 during the Saban hunt, you know what I'm talking about).
That's the one! I was racking my brain trying to remember the handle of the guy constantly promoting him. I remember reading his constant endorsements of PJ. It reminded me a bit too much of the guy that Fran had doing his public relations work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's the one! I was racking my brain trying to remember the handle of the guy constantly promoting him. I remember reading his constant endorsements of PJ. It reminded me a bit too much of the guy that Fran had doing his public relations work.

Yep - he said this:

Assuming he's allowed to keep his triple-option offense, Johnson will win a national championship within 5 years. He'll go on to dominate after that, if not sooner. I'm just glad he didn't end up in the SEC. I was a little nervous Tubby would go to Auburn and they'd get Johnson.

I guess all of the egg heads who say the triple option won't work will get to see first hand.

Uh, we're now TEN years into this dominant era of Paul Johnson, with his 70-48 record at Tech.

Saban, by contrast, has only lost 61 games TOTAL in TWENTY-ONE years as a college coach. Johnson's lost 48 in nine.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yep - he said this:

Uh, we're now TEN years into this dominant era of Paul Johnson, with his 70-48 record at Tech.

Saban, by contrast, has only lost 61 games TOTAL in TWENTY-ONE years as a college coach. Johnson's lost 48 in nine.
I work with a few Georgia Tech grads and some are football fans. Dabaxter should call them up and ask them what they think about Pau Johnson and the triple option.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yep - he said this:

That comment by dabaxter was almost as ludicrous as Cowherd's comment that Gussy would dominate Saban/Bama.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A record of 70-48 at Georgia Tech isn't all that bad. It is much better than a certain Tech coach who went 31-43-1.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
For as much as he runs his mouth you'd think it would be much better. I'm just glad he's at GA Tech being "not that bad" rather than at Bama being "not that bad". :biggrin:
I am glad we didn't hire him, I was just saying he is fine by their standards. I know we will all be pulling for him in his next game.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.