News Article: Bateman walks on at Utah

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I wish him all the best at Utah and in life. He did everything that was asked of him, and stayed with the team when some others wouldn't have (and, in one case, didn't). It just didn't work out in Tuscaloosa. Godspeed, Cooper Bateman.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Bateman is another guy who transferred the right way. I bash guys who do it the wrong way, but only have respect for guys that stick it out until it becomes clear there is no real path to playing time. I wish him well.

Last edited:

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I can't believe Bateman didn't get a better offer. He could probably start at several big five conference schools next year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Bateman is another guy who transferred the right way. I bash guys who it the wrong way, but only have respect for guys that stick it out until it becomes clear there is no real path to playing time. I wish him well.
I absolutely agree as did Cornwell and Morris and I wish all of them much success. A question; is their departure due to none of them really being talented enough at the outset or coaching failure to develop them. I ask this because when a team has 5 scholarship QBs on its roster and loses 4 to transfer where is the disconnect. I understand the change in offensive ideology, but it seems that the initial judgement of their abilities was in error. Also does the fact that Sims and Coker were ahead of them exacerbate the poor judgement in their recruitment? Not intended to start who favored who thread just another offseason what happened. :conf2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I absolutely agree as did Cornwell and Morris and I wish all of them much success. A question; is their departure due to none of them really being talented enough at the outset or coaching failure to develop them. I ask this because when a team has 5 scholarship QBs on its roster and loses 4 to transfer where is the disconnect. I understand the change in offensive ideology, but it seems that the initial judgement of their abilities was in error. Also does the fact that Sims and Coker were ahead of them exacerbate the poor judgement in their recruitment? Not intended to start who favored who thread just another offseason what happened. :conf2:
It might be a case of "the guy who played the best won the job" combined with "strength and conditioning....and a good offensive line....keep quarterbacks healthy enough to play."

Who is the last QB we had miss a start because of INJURY? Brodie?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
It might be a case of "the guy who played the best won the job" combined with "strength and conditioning....and a good offensive line....keep quarterbacks healthy enough to play."

If you can't remember, it must have been long long ago

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Great respect for Bateman. I suspect his talent level may have been what kept him from getting more on-field time at Bama. There's certainly no shame in that. I hope he gets to play and has a great time at Utah.

I suspect that his time spent at Bama will serve him well in his future.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If he is going to compete at WR this fall, I hate it that he didn't stick around and do that here. I know we've brought in a lot of talented WR recruits over the years, yet we played like 3 guys last year.

Either way, I wish him all the best.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
If he is going to compete at WR this fall, I hate it that he didn't stick around and do that here. I know we've brought in a lot of talented WR recruits over the years, yet we played like 3 guys last year.

Either way, I wish him all the best.
I seem to recall we gave him some reps out at WR last year due to how athletic he is and we were trying to find ways to get him out there on the field. Likely just to much total talent on the team for him to crack the rotation.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Great respect for Bateman. I suspect his talent level may have been what kept him from getting more on-field time at Bama. There's certainly no shame in that. I hope he gets to play and has a great time at Utah.

I suspect that his time spent at Bama will serve him well in his future.
This. A degree...reference from Saban...Proven team player He'll be a success in life.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Yes, it was Brodie. JPW did not miss a start in 2006, and as we all are aware, no QB has missed a start under CNS due to injury.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.