42 Years between NCG losses

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
[FONT=&quot]Prior to this past season, Bama last lost a NCG game in 1974. #2 ranked at 11-0, lost to ND in the Orange Bowl and would have, at 12-0 with a win over ND, unquestionably finished ahead of 11-0 Oklahoma which was on Bowl Probation. Won SEVEN straight after that in the '78, '79, '92, '09, '11, '12, and '15 seasons.
[/FONT]

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Ugh, my father has been telling me about how Ara Parseghian used to get the best of Bear Bryant and how Alabama always came back a few years later stronger than ever. I know he's just trying to help, but this is the first national championship game loss of my lifetime, and it is still painful.:mad: I'm just trying to take my old man's advice, and look to the future. Roll Tide!!!!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Ugh, my father has been telling me about how Ara Parseghian used to get the best of Bear Bryant and how Alabama always came back a few years later stronger than ever. I know he's just trying to help, but this is the first national championship game loss of my lifetime, and it is still painful.:mad: I'm just trying to take my old man's advice, and look to the future. Roll Tide!!!!
Have faith, young grasshopper!

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
CrimsonPassion, I wish I could tell you the pain goes away, but it doesn't. For those of us that have been around awhile, we still feel the pain from 1961 Ga Tech loss, 1966 National Championship that wasn't awarded, 1971 Neb loss, 1972 Aub loss, 1973 ND loss, 1974 ND loss, and the 1977 National Championship that wasn't awarded to a team that destroyed Woody Hayes in the Sugar Bowl. National Championships are hard to win, and that was true even in Bear's days and it was true a few weeks ago. However, I am thankful every day that I am a Bama fan and for all the great times. So many great moments that I've lost count. And so many great moments that I have to look forward to. Roll Tide!!!

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
CrimsonPassion, I wish I could tell you the pain goes away, but it doesn't. For those of us that have been around awhile, we still feel the pain from 1961 Ga Tech loss, 1966 National Championship that wasn't awarded, 1971 Neb loss, 1972 Aub loss, 1973 ND loss, 1974 ND loss, and the 1977 National Championship that wasn't awarded to a team that destroyed Woody Hayes in the Sugar Bowl. National Championships are hard to win, and that was true even in Bear's days and it was true a few weeks ago. However, I am thankful every day that I am a Bama fan and for all the great times. So many great moments that I've lost count. And so many great moments that I have to look forward to. Roll Tide!!!
Amen, from one OF to another OF.:)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yes.

Although one could split hairs, and technically say the NU loss was in '72. '71 season, but it was on New Year's Day.

The only game that I can recall where we were beat. Thoroughly. We have lost games, but that is the only one where we were beat. Badly. The difference between losing, and getting beat is one leaves you mad as all get-out, and the other..................well, let's not go there. Too depressing!

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Yes.

Although one could split hairs, and technically say the NU loss was in '72. '71 season, but it was on New Year's Day.

The only game that I can recall where we were beat. Thoroughly. We have lost games, but that is the only one where we were beat. Badly. The difference between losing, and getting beat is one leaves you mad as all get-out, and the other..................well, let's not go there. Too depressing!
Leading up to the Orange and Sugar bowl games there was a lot of discussion (in newspapers, ha) about whether Alabama and Auburn were as good as Nebraska and Oklahoma. They weren't. Oklahoma killed Auburn in the Sugar the same day of the Alabama/Nebraska debacle. Final poll was Nebraska # 1 and Oklahoma # 2.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
In 2016, I went to Youtube and watched 1972 Orange Bowl against Nebraska. After watching a few minutes it was obvious why they won. They were much bigger, stronger, and had much better athletes that year. That Nebraska team could be one of the best ever. That being said, that 1971 Alabama team was special to me. Coming off of two bad years, they defeat USC on a Friday night, unveil the wishbone, roll over everyone on their schedule, and beat an undefeated Auburn in what still is one of my favorite wins. It was the beginning of another decade of dominance.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
That Neb. team was perhaps the greatrest all around squad I've seen. We were lucky they didn't hang about 50 on us! Johnny Rodgers,Jerry Tagge,Rich Glover......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The 1990 sugar bowl would've been a championship loss if auburn didn't beat us a few weeks earlier
Yep.

And the two fumbles we recovered from Miami that were not called fumbles would REALLY be a sore spot with the Bama Nation then.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
As good as that Nebraska team was--and they were very good--Ive always thought that the Sooners were the real best team in 1971. Nebraska got away with a very obvious clip on the famous Johnny Rodgers Punt return for a td in the game of the century and they only beat OU by four points in that game. If not for that, OU would have faced us in the orange bowl that year instead of playing auburn in the sugar bowl.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I was at the 1973 24-23 loss to Notre Dame.....it was maybe the hardest loss ever. First game between the two great programs.....1966 wasn't a too distant memory. That game is why the 2012 championship game blowout was so special.

John8054

Aug 13, 2003
Prattville, AL USA
Leading up to the Orange and Sugar bowl games there was a lot of discussion (in newspapers, ha) about whether Alabama and Auburn were as good as Nebraska and Oklahoma. They weren't. Oklahoma killed Auburn in the Sugar the same day of the Alabama/Nebraska debacle. Final poll was Nebraska # 1 and Oklahoma # 2.
Don't post here often, but this one struck a nerve.
We pummeled Auburn that year 31-7, but after the bowl game my Aubie neighbor informed me that Auburn was a better team that year than Alabama.
"How do you figure that?" I asked.

<wait for it>

"Because," he replied quite earnestly, "we lost by fewer points in our bowl game."
I didn't speak to him again for over forty years ...
Moral: you can't fix stupid.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.