You heard it here first -Tide will use dual QB System in 2017 (Opinion)

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Plus, we don't have any good receivers.
If you can't get them the ball, how talented they are becomes moot. Jet sweeps anyone???

I think, especially at the beginning of the season, we will be run heavy for sure. Hurts started as a freshman; but also had an experienced backup in Bateman as a fall back. There are two true freshmen behind him now.

Just my opinion . . .

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We're going to run the ball. Won't matter who the QB is. Our talent, experience and depth at RB is too much right now. We will have a second year starter at QB who has yet to prove he can throw the football (not saying he won't; but he hasn't yet) and ZERO experience behind him. Two true freshmen behind him. The emphasis will be on keeping Hurts healthy and utilizing our returning strength - our running backs.
This is just not true. Jalen has thrown the ball. He had an OC with a very preocuppied mind thanks to some off the field things.

It's been discussed several times in this thread and on the board. Jalen's overall development this year wasn't what we expected thanks to one person.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Concur Trenda. I favor our old offense. Run, play action w/playmakers at RB and Receiver and a mauling O line. No reason we can't do that w/Hurts or any of the other QBs on the roster.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
This is just not true. Jalen has thrown the ball. He had an OC with a very preocuppied mind thanks to some off the field things.

It's been discussed several times in this thread and on the board. Jalen's overall development this year wasn't what we expected thanks to one person.
I don't disagree with that. However, the reality remains that he struggled with accuracy in the passing game; and, until he can start completing those throws it will be a knock on him. I'm not saying he's never going to throw a pass.

We will have a new LT and no experience behind Hurts if he were to get injured. We will be returning three experienced RBs who have proven they can run the ball and run it well, not to mention two stud freshmen coming in.

To me, that adds up to us running the ball more than we have the past couple of seasons. Especially at the beginning of the season. I see this scenario as more probable than running a dual QB system.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Defenses will continue to load up to force Hurts, Tagovailoa, or Jones to show they can pass. I hope Bama is run heavy but some teams are good enough to stop the run if they are fully committed no matter how good Bama's offensive line and running backs are.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Defenses will continue to load up to force Hurts, Tagovailoa, or Jones to show they can pass. I hope Bama is run heavy but some teams are good enough to stop the run if they are fully committed no matter how good Bama's offensive line and running backs are.
I 'd really like to see us build the run game around Jacobs who is eerily Ingram-like. I really think we could consistently get into 2nd and 5 or better situations feeding him the ball.

Bo should have a big role too.....the homerun guy ala Trent/Henry. Then use Harris as another change of pace with his vision and slashing style. We could have a really really hard rushing offense to stop with those 3 guys being healthy and getting reps.

Plus Hurts can be a threat there too when he actually makes the quick decision to take off.....when he's indecisive however he gets tackled really fast. His speed and power is more down hill....he's not very elusive.

But we HAVE to be able to start establishing a running game to set up the pass.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't disagree with that. However, the reality remains that he struggled with accuracy in the passing game; and, until he can start completing those throws it will be a knock on him. I'm not saying he's never going to throw a pass.

We will have a new LT and no experience behind Hurts if he were to get injured. We will be returning three experienced RBs who have proven they can run the ball and run it well, not to mention two stud freshmen coming in.

To me, that adds up to us running the ball more than we have the past couple of seasons. Especially at the beginning of the season. I see this scenario as more probable than running a dual QB system.
Completely agree that we will most likely use the run game more based on what we replace.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would love for us to take a few pages out of the NE Patriots offense with regard to their short passing game. It is a thing of beauty how they are able to pick teams apart with a passing game that seemingly rarely goes beyond 20 yards. They are masters of scheming WR's open. I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than just turning on film and saying "Okay, lets do that play". It is probably something that has to be done through an entire offensive system. But it sure would be nice to counter with this type of passing when teams load the box and force our QB to beat them.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I agree with you, and we will learn what we are all about when free shoes u puts 8 or 9 in the box.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.