You heard it here first -Tide will use dual QB System in 2017 (Opinion)

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I think that offers more skills at the qb position than Jalen when he became toe qb. I expect tua will be the qb if Jalen does not improve his overall passing ability. he is confident in the short stuff, because he is looking at just one receiver to pass to. his problem is reading defenses in time to pick out a open man. always a big problem for qbs. a lot of work to be done with Jalen. tua has all the early talents, and a solid qb mariota has taken his off season from the titans, to help him. after all he did succeed mariota at st Louis hs, Hawaii, and broke all his records. it will be a interesting off season, and pre season scrimmages this year.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I think that offers more skills at the qb position than Jalen when he became toe qb. I expect tua will be the qb if Jalen does not improve his overall passing ability. he is confident in the short stuff, because he is looking at just one receiver to pass to. his problem is reading defenses in time to pick out a open man. always a big problem for qbs. a lot of work to be done with Jalen. tua has all the early talents, and a solid qb mariota has taken his off season from the titans, to help him. after all he did succeed mariota at st Louis hs, Hawaii, and broke all his records. it will be a interesting off season, and pre season scrimmages this year.
You'll get chastised for saying Jalen needs a lot of work.:)

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
For those of you saying Tua won't play at all - please enlighten us as to who plays backup and gets live reps in blowouts? At this point there are no scholarship players to utilize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
For those of you saying Tua won't play at all - please enlighten us as to who plays backup and gets live reps in blowouts? At this point there are no scholarship players to utilize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think anyone is saying Tua won't play, but the likelihood of his starting is low. I don't think he'll see meaningful playing time unless Jalen gets hurt. Saban simply doesn't believe in playing 2 QBs.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
one of these true freshmen QBs will play in 2017 because you need a 2nd string QB.
3 is not enough, 3 has never been enough. I said last year that 3 wasn't enough, Alabama had 4 and there was still talk of if a scenario played out a certain way, would Ardarius have to play QB? If Saban doesn't bring in a graduate transfer or a JUCO guy, or something, I'd be very alarmed. Not just surprised, but alarmed...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I forget the originator, but this quote sums up my feelings on a 2 QB system:

"If you have two QBs, you have no QB."

Don't know if he was the first to say it, but Lou Holtz would spit that out occasionally. :wink:

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wouldn't put it past the staff to have a walk-on be the "second string" QB as in the guy who comes on the field if Hurts has his helmet knocked off during a play and the ball handler for garbage time.

If the RS rules change, maybe Jones and Tua get snaps early in the season...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If Tua gets the job, he better take us the NC and win otherwise, I'm not sure that would be a good decision to replace Hurts with him.
Why? If he beats out JH fair and square, he should play. What happened this year, both good and bad, is irrelevant. If Hurts is clearly the better player, he should play. It is simple competition. Whichever guy gives us the best chance to succeed is the guy who should play. It's a lot to ask of a sophomore and two freshmen, but we should once again be competing for championships, so one of these guys will need to step up and get it done.

Last edited:

Cowtown Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2007
We have been very blessed that we haven't had to use a backup qb for extended time since 2004. AJ had to come in at the end of the 2010 Iron Bowl, but we have been able to keep our best guy out there more than most teams. I don't want to jinx things but we need to have someone ready if Hurts is going to carry the ball as much as he did this year.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The only way Tua plays is if they get that RS rule changed as proposed by the coaches or Jalen gets injured.
I'm with you on the Red Shirt. I don't see Coach Saban burning a possible Red Shirt if he can help it. I expect us to go into the Fall with 3 possible QBs. Tua may be #2, but like was done with AJ, it would take an injury to put him on the field. My take on Jalen is Kiffin had him playing not to loose, and not playing to win, near the end of the season. Folks we must remember that Jalen didn't loose the National Championship game, our Defense ran out of steam. IMO: Kiffin had already checked out in the playoff game, and there's not a heck of a lot Sark could do in a week to change things.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I just watched the national championship game again, and Hurts needs to come a long way in his reads, timing, and accuracy, or other teams will focus on stopping the run, and make it even tougher for Hurts. Tua looks like he has a lot of confidence, but can he have the incredible poise that Hurts showed. I think Hurts, like many Bama QB's was instructed to avoid mistakes at any cost, let the defense win game. So he clammed up a bit down the stretch. This strategy worked wonderfully, until Clemson hit a few nice pass plays in the second quarter, which opened up the Bama defense, and bingo, they got some momentum.

Don't rule out the other QB recruit this year, Mac Jones, he could turn out to be a great drop back passer. I see a little Matt Ryan in him, from his high school tape.
The only way any opponent will stop the run is to break the RB's leg.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It would be best for all if Tua redshirts.

If Jalen improves as he should, perhaps he goes pro after his junior year. Then Tua has three years left to play. (I know things rarely work out that cleanly though).

The QB coaching cratered last year. I would bet large sums of money that you will see an improved Jalen Hurts next season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.