You heard it here first -Tide will use dual QB System in 2017 (Opinion)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
At worst he starts his RS Junior year - assuming we try to redshirt him in favor walkon at QB as backup unless things go bad - if he can just maintain 2nd position throughout Hurts' tenure. Hurts would have to regress over the off-season to make going through many of the same growing pains on offense in 2016 again preferable to the alternative. Let us not forget that the 2017 defense is unlikely to be able to provide such magnificent support to an offense limited at QB.

Tua may transfer out but he could easily be a 2 or 3 year starter with a redshirt in 2017. He doesn't strike me as a me-first guy. Hurts will start and flourish in 2017. Get off the recruiting cycle drug high and return to football reality. :p
FIFY. Hurts is a 4 year player. The only way Tua starts before his RS Junior year is if Hurts leaves the team by transferring to another school or Tua flat beats him out for the spot. So worse case scenario is RS Junior year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Both Saban and Meyer have won championships with 2 QBs.
It is the exception and not the rule. I think you know football well enough to know a 2 QB system means you don't have a true starter in most cases and does not work the overwhelming majority of the time.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
FIFY. Hurts is a 4 year player. The only way Tua starts before his RS Junior year is if Hurts leaves the team by transferring to another school or Tua flat beats him out for the spot. So worse case scenario is RS Junior year.
Do you see in the future? I need to get with you on the stock market :).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is the exception and not the rule. I think you know football well enough to know a 2 QB system means you don't have a true starter in most cases and does not work the overwhelming majority of the time.
I agree that it is the exception, but my point is that coaches like Saban can absolutely make it work if it is advantageous to your team. For that reason I do not discount it out of hand.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A "two qb system" can be misleading. If we're talking about a two quarterback system like Spurrier tried to do when he was at Florida a few times. Then no, that rarely works. But a two quarterback system in which one is the primary quarterback but you've designated "X" amount of snaps/series for the other QB in every game, then yes. It can definitely work.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree, and IMO Tua transfers at the end of this upcoming season. As much as I hate what is happening in terms of transfers it is the new norm, especially at the QB position.
No. That will not happen. He's a year behind Hurts... If Hurts leave for Draft early, He would be Redshirt sophomore. He knows that. Patience is the key. He knows he's 1 snap away from securing the ball.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
It will be good for Tagovailoa or Jones to get a redshirt year to allow some distance between them and Hurts if one of them is to be the next QB. Having a goal of getting two years as a starter should help keep a guy around.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
As Bob Dole might say, let me say this about that. I find it hard to believe that both Tua and Jones will redshirt this year, unless we bring in a semi-competent grad transfer. I realize that would leave one of them as a junior assuming Hurts leaves after his junior year, but someone needs to go ahead and get live game reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
No. That will not happen. He's a year behind Hurts... If Hurts leave for Draft early, He would be Redshirt sophomore. He knows that. Patience is the key. He knows he's 1 snap away from securing the ball.
Most starting QBs do not not leave early for the NFL, other positions are the most likely to leave early. I agree with you if Tua is redshirted putting two years between him and Hurts. If he is not redshirted and Hurts stays for his full four years, then Tua is likely gone unless he somehow wins the QB job over Hurts which right now appears to be a long shot but it could happen.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
We're gonna have one starter at QB. Period

Why would we play 2 QBs with similar skill sets. It doesn't give the D anything different to prepare for.

This convo isnt going anywhere. But have fun!!!

RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Question - is it hard to adjust to catching a ball with the opposite spin, righty passer vs lefty passer? Anyone have any idea?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Question - is it hard to adjust to catching a ball with the opposite spin, righty passer vs lefty passer? Anyone have any idea?
Jerry Rice said he had a hard time transitioning from Joe Montana to Steve Young because Steve was left handed. He had to practice relentlessly to get comfortable with it.
Not sure if that is the case for all receivers but it shows that there could be a curve for some guys.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
We're going to run the ball. Won't matter who the QB is. Our talent, experience and depth at RB is too much right now. We will have a second year starter at QB who has yet to prove he can throw the football (not saying he won't; but he hasn't yet) and ZERO experience behind him. Two true freshmen behind him. The emphasis will be on keeping Hurts healthy and utilizing our returning strength - our running backs.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
We're going to run the ball. Won't matter who the QB is. Our talent, experience and depth at RB is too much right now. We will have a second year starter at QB who has yet to prove he can throw the football (not saying he won't; but he hasn't yet) and ZERO experience behind him. Two true freshmen behind him. The emphasis will be on keeping Hurts healthy and utilizing our returning strength - our running backs.
Plus, we don't have any good receivers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.