You heard it here first -Tide will use dual QB System in 2017 (Opinion)

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
You heard it here first, Bama will use Tua, along with Jalen in every game next year. The reason I think this is because Saban will want to get Tua up to speed asap in case of injury, or if Hurts continues to struggle with the pass. What do you think?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: You heard it here first -Tide will use dual QB System in 2017

I love how Saban never plays a true freshman ever before and now it's automatic to some that'll he do it again. In fact, he'll have the true frosh play over a kid that was SEC offensive POY and broke scores of Bama records AND went to title game.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Not to be Captain Obvious, but I'm sure CNS will have an open competition. If JH wins out, it'll be because he keeps his poise-like qualities, "takes the bull by the horns", and improves his passing skills to CNS' satisfaction. If TT wins out, then to me, JH didn't improve his passing regardless of his accomplishments from this past season. Like TBone, I'm good with whatever CNS decides.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

Not so fast my friend. IMO! CNS will play the best QB period. I do think the number 2 will see some action to get game reps and accustomed to the speed of the game.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I just watched the national championship game again, and Hurts needs to come a long way in his reads, timing, and accuracy, or other teams will focus on stopping the run, and make it even tougher for Hurts. Tua looks like he has a lot of confidence, but can he have the incredible poise that Hurts showed. I think Hurts, like many Bama QB's was instructed to avoid mistakes at any cost, let the defense win game. So he clammed up a bit down the stretch. This strategy worked wonderfully, until Clemson hit a few nice pass plays in the second quarter, which opened up the Bama defense, and bingo, they got some momentum.

Don't rule out the other QB recruit this year, Mac Jones, he could turn out to be a great drop back passer. I see a little Matt Ryan in him, from his high school tape.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
He'll use both I'm sure. But a 2 QB system? Nope. Don't see it.

The best player will get the majority rep's. Not necessarily the best athlete but the best player. That's how it's always been. That's how it'll always be.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only way Tua plays is if they get that RS rule changed as proposed by the coaches or Jalen gets injured.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I read some where that QB's develop the deep ball during that red-shirt freshman year. They said Jalen may have been hurt by playing as a freshman. Tua if he redshirts could work on a lot of stuff.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Tua is a 185 pound Quarterback who faced Hawaii High School Football competition.
How good he can be truly remains to be seen, but he's got to prove it.
Jalen is now a year older and wiser and did a fantastic job for us last year.
I'm sure there's a lot of effort being put in by the coaches to help him improve not just his passing, but in all phases of the game.
Jalen did indeed miss some key throws at the end of the season but a lot of the problem was, that for some reason, neither Ridley nor Stewart were very good at getting separation from the DB's in the latter part of the schedule. Probably because the competition and the DB's simply got way better.
Regardless, with the offense we now run, if that continues, a two QB system might possibly work, but I don't think Coach Saban would allow it to happen. He likes that one guy who the team buys into, and when he finds that guy, that's it. That being said, he's gotten way more flexible in past couple of years so who knows?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I hope all 3 Quarterbacks stay healthy and that none of them transfer. They are all so young, so I am not sure if they will all stay 3-4 years. I just want some stability with one or two who have been in the system for a few years and could come in at any time to contribute. Hopefully, Jalen will keep the job next year, but if not, then that means Tua needs to step up.

We need to utilize our receivers and tight end much more next year. I still can't believe OJ was not thrown to more over the past few years.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
One thing you are forgetting is that Jalen is a right handed thrower, Tua is a lefty. Systematically everything has to be reversed if your second qb has a different dominant hand. That's not to say that adjustments can't be made, but it's a lot for the skill players and linemen to remember if we are consistently using a 2QB approach.

That's not to say it can't happen. Tebow was a lefty, Leak a righty. However their styles of play were completely different. You had a playbook to fit each qb. Watching film, Tua and Hurts seem to have a lot of similarities in playing style. If they do, there'd probably be a lot of reversed overlap in the play calling for each. That adds on opportunities for error.

Lastly, you never know what you are going to get between the time a kid steps off the field for the last time in high school and his first time in college. Remember in the offseason last year when many were commenting that Hurts had a stronger arm than any other qb on the roster? Remember when some thought labeling him as a running qb was a gross injustice to his talent level? Watching his HS tape made it seem like he had an NFL caliber arm as well. And that was against a lot better competition than Tua has seen.

To the OP, you may be right, and I'll be the first to admit it if you are. However, I personally think there's a better chance that Joe Namath confesses that he's the zodiac killer than there is that the coaches won't be 100% behind Jalen at the start of next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
I think playing in Hawaii is a bigger deal than most people are thinking.Hurts played in Texas and I believe we will see that he will be considerably more advanced than Tua at this stage.Yes his passing needs to improve and it will.I really want Tua to redshirt,gain weight and master the playbook.Who plays in mop up is up in the air to me.I wouldn't count out Mac Jones either.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I think it would be a monumental upset if JH does not start next year and play most of the time, but spring and fall camp will be very important for him and the other QB's. Will JH improve his reads and passing? Can Tua show he's the real deal? Will MJ be in the picture? Lots of questions to answer before you can determine if we have a dual QB rotation. I think it will depend on what Jalen does as far as improvements. Just a thought, if Tua were to win the position, Williams would probably stay at RT to protect his blind side.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.