Latest Bama News 1/30/2017 Thru 2/5/2017

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
NCAA recommends ending two-a-day football practices and reducing tackling - CBSSports.com/rbr
College football two-a-day practices appear to be ending. For safety reasons, the NCAA Sport Science Institute has recommended eliminating the popular two-a-day preseason practices and reducing contact at all practices, including limiting full contact to once a week during the season.
The recommendations, which are endorsed by 16 medical organizations and five football organizations, would put college football more in line with NFL rules adopted several years ago.
This is such a difficult line for coaches to walk, and even Alabama has pared back its notoriously physical practices. You want to save wear and tear (and collisions) on the body of young men, but, at the same time, you want to make sure the players have endurance and are in game-shape, which also prevents injury. I really don’t know the answer here, but I do think one day of contact is probably not enough. Now, as for eliminating two-a-days? I’m game. Anyone that grew up in the bad ole’ days (pre-1990s) remembers those brutal three-a-days in high school. I don’t recall anyone ever particularly benefiting from even its less cruel cousin, the two-a-day.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member

Why blue chip quarterback recruits are transferring at an alarming rate | FOX Sports/rbr

Today’s blue-chip quarterback recruit — many of whom compete in the prestigious Elite 11 summer circuit and/or work with private QB tutors — enter college with an optimistically lofty vision.
“Every kid that gets a scholarship to play at a Power 5 school thinks they’re going to play in the NFL one day,” said Brian Stumpf, president of football events for Student Sports, which runs the Elite 11. “The Matt Cassels of the world — the guys who stick with the program and be backups and still get a chance to play in the NFL — are outliers. These guys know they have to get on the field and some games on tape.”
Exactly 50% of all blue-chip QBs have transferred the past five years. Alabama has seen more than its share of QB transfers (and will undoubtedly see more in the next year or two.) Now, very few have been blue chippers, but as we saw with Blake Barnett, high expectations, impatience, and a comparatively slim shot at a professional career push players at this position for reps early and often. And I don’t think that’s ever going to change as long as there can only be one starter out of the 11 positions and as long as expectations are not managed for hot quarterback prospects.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.