Re: DE/LB Jarez Parks commits to Bama as a greyshirt***

Ur he could be a "walk on" per se

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Dang, kid is impressive. Top 100 recruit AND a 4.0!!! Congrats to him and his parents.

Coach Saban rules. :cool2:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

People really like to overstate the disadvantages of a greyshirt. There are big advantages. One of those would be the preservation of eligibility while becoming an EE. If he can go on academic scholarship until his eligibility clock starts, that would be great. It would give him a nice head start.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017

Can't he decommit and go as student only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If this young man has the academic chops a grey shirt could be very advantageous to him. It lets him get some classes under his belt before clock starts ticking on his athletic eligibility. If pro ball is not there in three or four years, he could get much of his masters degree paid for as well.
The Lord works in mysterious ways sometimes. For all the reasons above, could be the best thing that ever happens to him. Really glad it looks like it`ll work out, both from a football and academic personal perspective and very happy he`s with us.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

eligibility starts as soon as you enroll, whether or not you are on a team. A person who never joins any team is burning eligibility. However, you get 5 to play 4, so he may not care if he burns one year on a grey shirt instead of a red shirt

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

The Lord works in mysterious ways sometimes. For all the reasons above, could be the best thing that ever happens to him. Really glad it looks like it`ll work out, both from a football and academic personal perspective and very happy he`s with us.

Happy he rolled with the good guys too. Welcome to the Capstone Mr. Parks!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

eligibility starts as soon as you enroll, whether or not you are on a team. A person who never joins any team is burning eligibility. However, you get 5 to play 4, so he may not care if he burns one year on a grey shirt instead of a red shirt
not true....he will have 5 to play four from August of 2018. he could use his scholarship from Jan. 2018 through December of 2022.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

not true....he will have 5 to play four from August of 2018. he could use his scholarship from Jan. 2018 through December of 2022.
If he does not enroll in school, the clock does not start. If he does enroll in school on an academic scholarship, which was the premise from earlier in the thread, then his eligibility also starts. Unless they changed this rule in the last year, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Note: he could enroll part time and the clock wouldn't start, but i've never heard of a part rime academic scholarship.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Note: he could enroll part time and the clock wouldn't start, but i've never heard of a part rime academic scholarship.
That's what grayshirts typically do of course, but I'm not aware of there even being an requirement they enroll at all. Anyway, I said if, because I'm not even going to try to unravel the types of academic scholarships available, and how those interact with NCAA requirements. If he can go on academic scholarship right away, great, but if that starts his clock I would think he'd consider other options.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

Because he was actively recruited and took an official visit, I don't think he can take an academic scholarship this year and not count against the 25/year limit.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

My hat is off to Parks who I believe will be a special player at Bama in the future. RTR Jarez and welcome to the Capstone!!!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

If he does not enroll in school, the clock does not start. If he does enroll in school on an academic scholarship, which was the premise from earlier in the thread, then his eligibility also starts. Unless they changed this rule in the last year, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
all of them enroll part time at Bama or Shelton State on their own dime

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

That's what grayshirts typically do of course, but I'm not aware of there even being an requirement they enroll at all. Anyway, I said if, because I'm not even going to try to unravel the types of academic scholarships available, and how those interact with NCAA requirements. If he can go on academic scholarship right away, great, but if that starts his clock I would think he'd consider other options.
I am not aware of any previous grayshirt enrolling at Bama before the winter semester when their scholly begins.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

all of them enroll part time at Bama or Shelton State on their own dime
"On their own dime" is the key. No scholly, no clock. Any scholly (including academic) = clock starts. I believe that's the way it works anyway.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

"On their own dime" is the key. No scholly, no clock. Any scholly (including academic) = clock starts. I believe that's the way it works anyway.
So if I were to go to college for three years paying my own way and not playing football, I could then join the football team and play up to 5 years?

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

So if I were to go to college for three years paying my own way and not playing football, I could then join the football team and play up to 5 years?
Nope, as I said in an earlier post, the clock starts the moment a student enrolls full time. It has nothing to do with whether a guy has a scholarship or pays his own way.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Nope, as I said in an earlier post, the clock starts the moment a student enrolls full time. It has nothing to do with whether a guy has a scholarship or pays his own way.
This is how I have always interpreted it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.