*** DE/LB Jarez Parks commits to Bama as a greyshirt***

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Re: DE/LB Jarez Parks commits to Bama as a greyshirt***

The unfortunate thing is that Parks did this really nice video and should have been able to release that earlier and have his moment without losing his place. He just went a little far, I have nothing against him though, he just has to greyshirt now because of the choice he made. I really, really respect him for doing it though. I mean the guys that want it that much are the ones you want. Bozeman was originally going to be a greyshirt.

On the flip side though, the idiots trying to bash Saban or making accusations just lack common sense.
I agree with you. It's likely that Parks could have given a silent commit and still had his moment in the spotlight on signing day. If he really didn't make up his mind until the last minute, then what did he expect?

I do wonder if our incredible depth at Jack/DE had something to do with Saban's reasoning (in other words, as good as Parks is, if there were one position we could afford to lose a player of Park's potential, it would probably be there)?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

The unfortunate thing is that Parks did this really nice video and should have been able to release that earlier and have his moment without losing his place. He just went a little far, I have nothing against him though, he just has to greyshirt now because of the choice he made. I really, really respect him for doing it though. I mean the guys that want it that much are the ones you want. Bozeman was originally going to be a greyshirt.

On the flip side though, the idiots trying to bash Saban or making accusations just lack common sense.
An alternative 😊 view might be that they don't give a rip about the truth, but are just using the eternal open season on Bama and Saban to again stomp, scream and mislead.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
DE/LB Jarez Parks commits to Bama as a greyshirt***

Read that Parks would have been the top recruit at over 90 (IIRC) schools...yet he chose to greyshirt at Bama. Pretty remarkable..

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

It's not like Coach doesn't warn players of this possibility. It's much like him telling recruits "if you shop we shop". This is just a risk you run if you want to wait until the last second. With such rigid numbers and so much parity and competition the elite schools can't be patient and passive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I still think there is a strong possibility that room will open up and Parks will be on the team this fall.

With the fluidity of school, athletics, the things that can happen, I`ll actually be surprised if he`s not.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Parks is an elite talent for sure. No one should be villified in this scenario. it's just we couldn't fit everyone in. most schools don't have this problem. they fill classes with marginal leftovers. we are all a listers. the situation will work out, depth wise, better for parks if he does greyshirt.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

With his size already with a year of maturing and working out I wouldn't be surprised to see him grow into a full time DE.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Parks is an elite talent for sure. No one should be villified in this scenario. it's just we couldn't fit everyone in. most schools don't have this problem. they fill classes with marginal leftovers. we are all a listers. the situation will work out, depth wise, better for parks if he does greyshirt.
I totally agree. He definitely needs to add size for the position he's going to undertake in the SEC.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007

He's already one of my favorite players!!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I had hopes that he would enroll this summer with rest of the guys, because I was expecting few people to transfer by now. I'm sure anything can change between now and August, but it looks like he'll enroll next Jan, if there is no more transfer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I had hopes that he would enroll this summer with rest of the guys, because I was expecting few people to transfer by now. I'm sure anything can change between now and August, but it looks like he'll enroll next Jan, if there is no more transfer.
With Saban already saying the upcoming recruiting class will only be 22 guys, I'm not sure there's a way Parks gets on the team before January. Plus, Brannon and Bulovas are already on campus. They would be more likely to get a scholarship before Parks.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

So what happens now with two more leaving? Brannon & Bulovas get the spots? You'd think that might bother Parks a bit...I'm sure that someone has been keeping him in the loop throughout, but that still has to sting a little, no?
With Saban already saying the upcoming recruiting class will only be 22 guys, I'm not sure there's a way Parks gets on the team before January. Plus, Brannon and Bulovas are already on campus. They would be more likely to get a scholarship before Parks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So what happens now with two more leaving? Brannon & Bulovas get the spots? You'd think that might bother Parks a bit...I'm sure that someone has been keeping him in the loop throughout, but that still has to sting a little, no?
It shouldn't bother him. They are blue shirts. He's a grey shirt. Part of the deal.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

It shouldn't bother him. They are blue shirts. He's a grey shirt. Part of the deal.

Blue Shirt is a relatively new classification.

Can you explain the difference between the two, please? :cool2:

Thanks in advance.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Blue Shirt is a relatively new classification.

Can you explain the difference between the two, please? :cool2:

Thanks in advance.
blueshirts represent the newest loophole for FBS programs to accumulate depth while not affecting their annual numbers. Like grayshirt recruits, blueshirts are counted toward the next season’s scholarship total.

There is one distinct difference, however. Unlike grayshirts, a blueshirt is able to enroll and participate in team events in the fall. This allows programs to get the best of both worlds: FBS schools can delay a scholarship for the following year, allowing them to over-sign beyond the 25-scholarship limit, and get the use of a prospect immediately rather than waiting until the following spring.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...hirt-greenshirt-grayshirt-blueshirt/79603750/

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999

With Emmons and the DB leaving the program does this not open up a spot for Parks to come on board right away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.