Neil Grouch nominated (now confirmed) for SCOTUS

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Re: Neil Gorsuch nominated for SC

America is still a mostly white country and the white people will rule until they become a minority
What on earth are you talking about, and what does it have to do with anything in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

What on earth are you talking about, and what does it have to do with anything in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am talking about a segment of the population that did not vote in 2008 or 2012 that came out in 2014 and 2016 ...

The two articles below offer a better explanation ...

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/american-society/balkanized-america-identity-politics/

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/race-funhouse-mirror/

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The tit-for-tat does go back to Robert Bork's unfathomable torpedoing.

After that, both parties did stupid stuff. The penultimate was when Dems did the nuclear option on non-SCOTUS appointments. Then the Repubs did the same for SCOTUS.

Because a judge that was confirmed 95-0 to a lower court, was suddenly wholly unfit to serve on SCOTUS.

It's a sorry state, and I'm glad I'm too old to see the true ending.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

And we wonder why congress is so screwed up:rolleye2:
Congress was screwed up long before now.

Indeed, that's actually the beauty of our system and why it has worked for as long as it has. The entire system is setup to prevent the 'tyranny of the majority,' from the Electoral College to the filibuster (which has changed through the years) to the ever popular cliche 'how a bill becomes a law.'

One of my concerns is where this CAN end up - but as I noted yesterday, this was coming anyway. If HRC had won and the Democrats had won the Senate, this exact same result would have happened. Tim Kaine said it just days before the election. Harry Reid promised it.

Seriously - not one Democrat in that Senate can LEGITIMATELY complain about this since they were going to do it anyway.

And here's one for you: in the long run, the filibuster ONLY hurt the GOP anyway in regards to SCOTUS nominations. Republicans don't tend to - pardon the pun - go nuclear over SCOTUS nominations. This thing with Garland was the closest, and it entailed risk, too since HRC was under NO obligation to nominate Garland.

Let's be honest with each other - if Hillary had won and the Democrats had won the Senate, I suspect Garland, who is considered a moderate sort of liberal and not an extremist, would have been tossed and replaced with a left-wing nut.

And it would have been totally within the rules...but the same is now true of Gorusch as well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The tit-for-tat does go back to Robert Bork's unfathomable torpedoing.
Pretty much. It's not that politics didn't enter the situation before so much as it was that everyone kind of figured it all evened out at the time.

After that, both parties did stupid stuff.
And punched themselves in the fist with their noses, too.

After Bush beat Dukakis, the Dems decided they were going to destroy one of the Cabinet nominees and blast John Tower, a feat of wisdom that got them SECDEF Richard Cheney, future VP of the USA.

Then they went after Souter. In fact - to show you how things have changed - there were rumors at the time that the press had about Souter allegedly being gay that they never confirmed and never ran.

Then they went after Thomas.

Then the Republicans retaliated by destroying Zoe Baird (Clinton's first AG nominee) over hiring an illegal nanny. Then Clinton himself destroyed Kimba Wood, who had done the Zoe Baird thing but unlike Baird had actually paid taxes on the nanny and tried to help her attain citizenship. Indeed, the comedy in the Wood case was the following insanity:

"White House officials said they were angry at Judge Wood because she had not told Mr. Clinton and other officials about her baby sitter, even when she had been directly asked."

Yes, the Clintons for some reason thought you're supposed to tell everything honestly and truthful...except, of course, when your name is Clinton and you're under oath.

Then the Republicans destroyed Les Aspin and his chosen replacement, Bobby Ray Inman. Aspin's stupidity in Somalia gave them the ammo but Inman was brutally ripped and quit. The GOP went after Commerce Secretary nominee Ron Brown in the hearings.

And on and on it went. Wen Ho Lee, John Bolton, Bernard Kerik, on and on.

The penultimate was when Dems did the nuclear option on non-SCOTUS appointments. Then the Repubs did the same for SCOTUS.
This whole deal literally reminds me of my ex. Before we got married we sat down and kinda lined out all what we wanted and how to proceed.

Years went by. And what became clear that was we had agreed to were "rules husband has to live by but NOT me." Fair enough. I'm done.

Because a judge that was confirmed 95-0 to a lower court, was suddenly wholly unfit to serve on SCOTUS.
In defense of the Democrats, I don't think THIS is a particularly persuasive argument in and of itself. It depends upon the context. A Senate might support a nominee at the lower level and then feel that the judge had demonstrated he (or she) didn't have the proper temperament, stability, something. While I think it's obvious they would never support ANYONE Trump put up there (just as the GOP wasn't even going to hold hearings), I'm just not persuaded by the argument "but he was approved 95-0 forever ago."

However - at the same time - any person who supported him for the lower appointment who is still in the Senate but now opposed ought to have to formulate a coherent response. If you're going to say he has "shown insensitivity to (name of identity group)," the press ought to be saying, "Which specific cases can you cite where this has occurred" and then pointing out, "Senator Schumer never answered the question." THAT is what press is actually supposed to do.

It's a sorry state, and I'm glad I'm too old to see the true ending.
Interesting take and good read. Thanks.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Libearal bodies from the gas chamber will taste better?
Somehow saying liberals will go to the gas chamber under Trump? Reference was made to delicious tears. I'm trying to make pcfixup look a little less whacko.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I am talking about a segment of the population that did not vote in 2008 or 2012 that came out in 2014 and 2016 ...

The two articles below offer a better explanation ...
Well, there's some flawed analysis for ya. I always love these analyses when they fail to take into account:
a) over the course of eight years, you have people who couldn't vote in 08 or 12 who vote now (most likely Dems)
b) you have those who couldn't vote in 08 but did vote in 12 (also most likely Dems who might be Reps now)
c) everyone who has died since they voted in 08 (up to a certain age they lean GOP and then go back Dem when
they're on Soc Security and Medicare)

Keep in mind you have these two groups moving at all times. The electorate is QUICKLY changing. You cannot even make much of a comparison in eight years. The electorate that cruised Reagan to a colossal landslide wasn't the same one that Clinton carried once and then a second time (e.g. eight and then 12 years later).

This whole "X is stirring up racial politics" is a red herring that will apparently never die. I guess it makes the losers feel good to pretend they lost because of something other than a lousy candidate (the GOP still hasn't accepted Bush's loss to Clinton had nothing to do with Perot, and that was 25 years ago).

The Democrats' problem going forward is the same one they've always had - as people get older and start to get wiser to things and make more money a SUBSTANTIAL number who voted Democrat at 18 are voting Republican at 30. For some reason, this lesson is lost on these alleged superior intellectuals. They go forward from year to
year assuming that the last electorate was almost theirs and another generation of young 18-21 year olds believing in the nanny state will bail them out. This is a problem they should have figured out forty years ago.

Of course, the GOP isn't any better. This is a party that will be in long-term trouble with non-whites. The one thing bailing them out at the Presidential level right now is the fact that while non-white voters vote against the GOP, they're heavily concentrated in large cities in states on the coasts that the GOP doesn't have to win.

If you're saying that in general white voters vote at a higher proportion most of the time, that is true. But I don't think it served the argument to make the comment, either.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Gorsuch writing for the unanimous majority in Henson v. Santander:

But, on petitioners’ account, Congress never had the chance to consider what should be done about those in the business of purchasing defaulted debt. That's because, petitioners tell us, the “advent” of the market for defaulted debt represents “‘one of the most significant changes’” to the debt market generally since the Act’s passage in 1977. Brief for Petitioners 8 (quoting Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act: CFPB Annual Report 2014, p. 7 (2014)). Had Congress known this new industry would blossom, they say, it surely would have judged defaulted debt purchasers more like (and in need of the same special rules as) independent debt collectors. Indeed, petitioners contend that no other result would be consistent with the overarching congressional goal of deterring untoward debt collection practices.

All this seems to us quite a lot of speculation. And while
it is of course our job to apply faithfully the law Congress has written, it is never our job to rewrite a constitutionally valid statutory text under the banner of speculation about what Congress might have done had it faced a question that, on everyone’s account, it never faced. See Magwoodv. Patterson, 561 U. S. 320, 334 (2010) (“We cannot replace the actual text with speculation as to Congress’ intent”).
Hopefully this line of thinking will be used more consistently by the Supreme Court going forward. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.