Neil Grouch nominated (now confirmed) for SCOTUS

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Neil Gorsuch nominated for SC

And the Left - predictably - in meltdown mode.

Hey, the people spoke and you lost. Elections have consequences blah blah.

And you can't say people didn't know the SCOTUS was on the ballot but they voted in an all-GOP government.

The left needs to let this fight pass since barring some unknown catastrophe this guy wins. Gear up for the next one.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

And you can't say people didn't know the SCOTUS was on the ballot but they voted in an all-GOP government.

The left needs to let this fight pass since barring some unknown catastrophe this guy wins. Gear up for the next one.
If Trump nominated HRC, the left would still have gone into full meltdown mode.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

It would be interesting to see a reasoned analysis of his legal opinions, his educational background, his overall legal experience, and generally what's happened since the Senate originally approved him unanimously for the federal bench instead of the babbling I've heard thus far. The only coherent arguments I've heard are purely political: (1) revenge for Merrick and (2) a desire for outcome-based rulings instead of law-based rulings.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Actually the people spoke for Clinton (and Obama before that) and the states spoke for Trump.
Yes, the next one will be chosen by Bannon

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

If the nuclear option is implemented the you'll have ultra conservatives like Pryor, Cruz, and etc for the next one. So Schrumer needs to have his cronies pass this one or hope Ginsburg isn't the next one out.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Actually the people spoke for Clinton (and Obama before that) and the states spoke for Trump.
The states are made up of people. The people spoke. Two or three cities gave Clinton her margin. This is and always will be such an overrated gripe.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

She was not disbarred.

Bill was, but she wasn't.
Thanks for the correction, I guess I just didn't fact check enough. She is however not qualified to practice law due to not being licensed. She intentionally gave it up after beginning her political career. My apologies.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Also, I believe it's also worth pointing out the gains by Republicans in the House and Senate over the past 6 years, as well as the many state Houses/Senates and governorships. The people have spoken, indeed.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

A couple of points:

1. A lot of the consternation on the left is borne of the Republicans jackass move with Garland. No matter what they said, no matter how they dressed it up, they simply refused to do their job. The democrats are wrestling with the impulse to be just as intransigent. It's not a good idea, not just because they don't have the numbers to mount an effective resistance, but because they need to demonstrate that they can be the adults in the room. At the same time, during the confirmation process they should remind people of Garland.

2. The Democrats need to pick and choose their fights very carefully. They can (rightfully) attack McConnell's refusal to allow additional time to investigate various eleventh hour irregularities that have emerged with various candidates, and they should certainly oppose those candidates with, shall we say, marginal qualifications for the position.

3. Gorsuch is a good candidate. He's cut from the same originalist cloth as Scalia, so it's not going to screw up the balance of the court.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

A couple of points:

1. A lot of the consternation on the left is borne of the Republicans jackass move with Garland. No matter what they said, no matter how they dressed it up, they simply refused to do their job. The democrats are wrestling with the impulse to be just as intransigent. It's not a good idea, not just because they don't have the numbers to mount an effective resistance, but because they need to demonstrate that they can be the adults in the room. At the same time, during the confirmation process they should remind people of Garland.

2. The Democrats need to pick and choose their fights very carefully. They can (rightfully) attack McConnell's refusal to allow additional time to investigate various eleventh hour irregularities that have emerged with various candidates, and they should certainly oppose those candidates with, shall we say, marginal qualifications for the position.

3. Gorsuch is a good candidate. He's cut from the same originalist cloth as Scalia, so it's not going to screw up the balance of the court.
I agree with everything you just said, especially #2. I hope the democrats continue to fight some of Trump's appointments because some of them are questionable and best and a few are just horrible. I wish they would keep fighting against Sessions, I can't stand the guy and think he'll be one of the worst AG ever (and it has nothing to do with the racism claims, I just think he is as crooked and scummy as they come).

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

I agree with everything you just said, especially #2. I hope the democrats continue to fight some of Trump's appointments because some of them are questionable and best and a few are just horrible. I wish they would keep fighting against Sessions, I can't stand the guy and think he'll be one of the worst AG ever (and it has nothing to do with the racism claims, I just think he is as crooked and scummy as they come).
he is already through committee.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.