Link: What are the Differences in the Different Color Shirts in College Football?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are the Differences in the Different Color Shirts in College Football?

This will be useful as we see what recruits are "greyshirted" and which are "blueshirted."

Link
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Re: What are the Differences in the Different Color Shirts in College Football?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This will be useful as we see what recruits are "greyshirted" and which are "blueshirted."

Link
    Here is another: http://informedathlete.com/old-shirt...rt-blue-shirt/
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Since we look to be backcounting 3 players right now (Parks, Brannon and Bulovas), I decided to check the numbers for next season. If I correctly assumed all the players on scholarship, I counted 86 including Robert Foster (plenty of speculation he's gone, though). I counted 12 seniors (excluding Foster), 20 juniors and 8 RS Sophomores. Obviously, not all 40 of those players will leave after next season.

I suspect there are at least four juniors gone after the 2017 season - Harrison, Minkah, Ridley, and Payne. Bo and Damian could join them as well.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Since we look to be backcounting 3 players right now (Parks, Brannon and Bulovas), I decided to check the numbers for next season. If I correctly assumed all the players on scholarship, I counted 86 including Robert Foster (plenty of speculation he's gone, though). I counted 12 seniors (excluding Foster), 20 juniors and 8 RS Sophomores. Obviously, not all 40 of those players will leave after next season.

I suspect there are at least four juniors gone after the 2017 season - Harrison, Minkah, Ridley, and Payne. Bo and Damian could join them as well.
    Do you mean Bulovas won't be part of the 2017 team? Sorry but had not heard this before.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Do you mean Bulovas won't be part of the 2017 team? Sorry but had not heard this before.
    He's not apart of the 2017 recruiting class at this time. Click
    -- Coach Bryant

He's not apart of the 2017 recruiting class at this time. Click
    Thanks. I guess the walk-on transfer from OM and JK will handle the XP, FG and KO duties next year.

BamaNation First Team

Blue shirts still confuse me. The articles, including AL.com, all say different things. I understand that the "student" will enroll in Aug with his or her class and can practice. One of the articles says the scholarship starts in Aug, the other says Spring. One says they can practice but no play, the other says play. The more I read, the worse I get.

From his NSD presser, Saban has made these comments:

Saban on kicker: I can't comment on anyone who did not sign a NLI today. I think we have someone that has expressed interest in coming here
    Saban on kicking pos.: "I think we have someone (Bulovas)... that has expressed interest in coming to Alabama." Team will address it in Fall
    Makes me believe Bulovas will be available, but I'm not positive.
    -- Coach Bryant

From his NSD presser, Saban has made these comments:

Makes me believe Bulovas will be available, but I'm not positive.
    I heard his presser about the kicker and it sounds like maybe if the guys that are already on campus can do the job then it's all good but if they feel it is not good they will bring on Bulovas.

BamaNation Second Team

So can any shirt play or what. This cleared some up but not a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar

A quick note on blueshirts, and how they work (as I think I've gathered all the info).

A blueshirt is basically a delayed redshirt to an extent.

First, the player can not have been on an official visit to the school (this means they weren't formally recruited). Second, the can't sign a LOI on signing day.

They enroll for Fall semester, are treated as a preferred walk-on, can practice in all team activities but can't play. They can then but put on scholarship, after arriving on campus (as early as freshman practice starting).

It's basically a loophole to be able to posthumously give a scholarship to a freshman who came to your school without one as long as they meet the criteria (not formally recruited).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

To be clear, blue shirts can play immediately. This kid will be your kicker in 2017 if he wins the job.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

They all get crimson shirts. That's good by me.