Saban's 2017 NSD Presser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saban's 2017 NSD Presser

About to start...
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement

Re: Saban's 2017 NSD Presser

Saban: "We're obviously very excited about the 14 players that signed with us today to join the 12 players who were already enrolled."
    Saban: This day is an accumulation of a lot of hard work from a lot of people
    Saban: Our coaching staff did a phenomenal job in evaluation and developing relationships.
    Saban on class: "I think this is a class that we're very pleased with, proud of. ... Our coaching staff did phenomenal job."
    Saban: We try to evaluate needs and we hit every spot but one (cornerback).
    Saban: "You never have a bad recruiting class and you never have a bad spring practice."
    Saban on DL: We always want more players, but there were number issues
    Saban: It's difficult to manage number. We don't determine when players make decisions. We're pleased with three DL we got.
    Saban on kicker: I cannot comment on anyone who didn't sign NLI today.
    Saban said the team did a lot of investigating on VanDarius Cowan before allowing him on the team
    Saban on Najee Harris: Great size, great speed, smooth and fluid athletically. Great route runner. Special production as a player.
    Saban: Both Devonta Smith and Henry Ruggs III are explosive guys. Mentions versatility as kick and punt returners.
    Saban on recruiting rankings: I don't know anything about that. I don't look at the rankings or the stars they have or anything like that
    Saban: Spent a lot of time on the phone today offering guys for next year.
    Saban on OL class: I really like guys we got. We got 2 JC guys which give you older, more mature guy and Leatherwood has a lot of potential.
    Saban: Jedrick Willis is one of the best players at his position, at least by our evaluation.
    Saban: We have a academic circumstance that allows us to bring guys in (referring to the players enrolling in spring interim in February).
    Saban on getting 2 scholarship QBs in for spring: "I think it's critical for us, and really good for us, ... that we got 2 young guys in."
    Saban: "We would like to get as many Alabama players as we can. We've had some great players from the state of Alabama."
    Saban on recruiting Louisiana: There are players in Louisiana. We've been fortunate to get some guys who've had success here.
    Saban with a humble brag/recruiting pitch: It made me feel good flipping to the Pro Bowl and seeing Landon Collins and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.
    Saban: It's harder to find defensive players because of the way the game is played now. There are lots of receivers.
    Saban: "This is a tough one for me in this Super Bowl." Cites players on both teams & his relationships w/ Pats' Belichick & Falcons' Quinn.
    Saban on Belichick: I probably learned more in my four years with him than I did in my career
    Last edited by RTR91; February 1st, 2017 at 04:20 PM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation All-American mikeua69's Avatar

speaking of corners, only McDonald is listed as a CB. Is Townsend considered a corner or WR?
    RTR

Quote Originally Posted by mikeua69 View Post
    speaking of corners, only McDonald is listed as a CB. Is Townsend considered a corner or WR?
    Townsend is expected to be on the offensive side. He's told reporters the staff likes him in a Drake-type role.
    -- Coach Bryant

He just kills me

Saban has always said there is nothing left to do with the present class on NSD other than stare at the fax machine. You know he is always on to the next challenge.

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tide96 View Post
    Saban has always said there is nothing left to do with the present class on NSD other than stare at the fax machine. You know he is always on to the next challenge.
    He is so right too...way too much to do in the little time to do it in.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

What is the "academic circumstance" he was talking about that is allowing Mac Jones and apparently others to participate in spring practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    What is the "academic circumstance" he was talking about that is allowing Mac Jones and apparently others to participate in spring practice?
    They are taking advantage of mini-mester classes. They are twice as long (class time in one day) as regular classes because they are the same number of credit hours for half the semester instead of the entire semester. Mac, for instance, was ready to enroll early, but his high school wouldn't let him. They've cleared him to graduate early now, so he can start.

McKinney and Wright both had a little work to do to graduate early. They've done what was need. I believe Brian Robinson was in the same boat. Can't remember for sure.
    -- Coach Bryant

It is amazing to me how the cadence of every NSD is different. Some years, the "hay is in the barn" early with a lot of hard commits, some years you get more soft commits that you sweat through signing day, more or less coin-flip guys where you honestly don't know, and once in a while you get a few of those huge surprises that can turn the fate of a number of teams in a big way.

Other than some intrigue with Soloman and the Parks confusion, this year seemed to go fairly predictably and on script.
    Defense STILL wins championships. RTR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OakMtn4Bama View Post

He just kills me
    I caught that as well good stuff.

BamaNation All-American

Interesting comment on CB`s. We were all pretty much focused on the D line ( I personally always will be ). Did we miss on somebody at corner or was it a numbers crunch?

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OakMtn4Bama View Post

He just kills me
    He is relentless!