Saban's 2017 NSD Presser

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban: "We're obviously very excited about the 14 players that signed with us today to join the 12 players who were already enrolled."
Saban: This day is an accumulation of a lot of hard work from a lot of people
Saban: Our coaching staff did a phenomenal job in evaluation and developing relationships.
Saban on class: "I think this is a class that we're very pleased with, proud of. ... Our coaching staff did phenomenal job."
Saban: We try to evaluate needs and we hit every spot but one (cornerback).
Saban: "You never have a bad recruiting class and you never have a bad spring practice."
Saban on DL: We always want more players, but there were number issues
Saban: It's difficult to manage number. We don't determine when players make decisions. We're pleased with three DL we got.
Saban on kicker: I cannot comment on anyone who didn't sign NLI today.
Saban said the team did a lot of investigating on VanDarius Cowan before allowing him on the team
Saban on Najee Harris: Great size, great speed, smooth and fluid athletically. Great route runner. Special production as a player.
Saban: Both Devonta Smith and Henry Ruggs III are explosive guys. Mentions versatility as kick and punt returners.
Saban on recruiting rankings: I don't know anything about that. I don't look at the rankings or the stars they have or anything like that
Saban: Spent a lot of time on the phone today offering guys for next year.
Saban on OL class: I really like guys we got. We got 2 JC guys which give you older, more mature guy and Leatherwood has a lot of potential.
Saban: Jedrick Willis is one of the best players at his position, at least by our evaluation.
Saban: We have a academic circumstance that allows us to bring guys in (referring to the players enrolling in spring interim in February).
Saban on getting 2 scholarship QBs in for spring: "I think it's critical for us, and really good for us, ... that we got 2 young guys in."
Saban: "We would like to get as many Alabama players as we can. We've had some great players from the state of Alabama."
Saban on recruiting Louisiana: There are players in Louisiana. We've been fortunate to get some guys who've had success here.
Saban with a humble brag/recruiting pitch: It made me feel good flipping to the Pro Bowl and seeing Landon Collins and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.
Saban: It's harder to find defensive players because of the way the game is played now. There are lots of receivers.
Saban: "This is a tough one for me in this Super Bowl." Cites players on both teams & his relationships w/ Pats' Belichick & Falcons' Quinn.
Saban on Belichick: I probably learned more in my four years with him than I did in my career

Last edited:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Saban has always said there is nothing left to do with the present class on NSD other than stare at the fax machine. You know he is always on to the next challenge.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Saban has always said there is nothing left to do with the present class on NSD other than stare at the fax machine. You know he is always on to the next challenge.
He is so right too...way too much to do in the little time to do it in.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What is the "academic circumstance" he was talking about that is allowing Mac Jones and apparently others to participate in spring practice?
They are taking advantage of mini-mester classes. They are twice as long (class time in one day) as regular classes because they are the same number of credit hours for half the semester instead of the entire semester. Mac, for instance, was ready to enroll early, but his high school wouldn't let him. They've cleared him to graduate early now, so he can start.

McKinney and Wright both had a little work to do to graduate early. They've done what was need. I believe Brian Robinson was in the same boat. Can't remember for sure.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
It is amazing to me how the cadence of every NSD is different. Some years, the "hay is in the barn" early with a lot of hard commits, some years you get more soft commits that you sweat through signing day, more or less coin-flip guys where you honestly don't know, and once in a while you get a few of those huge surprises that can turn the fate of a number of teams in a big way.

Other than some intrigue with Soloman and the Parks confusion, this year seemed to go fairly predictably and on script.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Interesting comment on CB`s. We were all pretty much focused on the D line ( I personally always will be ). Did we miss on somebody at corner or was it a numbers crunch?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Halfway through the year, folks were already writing on the increasing likelihood that we would not sign a true corner. Part of that may have been the level of talent available. But a clear factor is how many good DBs we had in the 2016 class.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Saban: Spent a lot of time on the phone today offering guys for next year.

He just kills me
OK. Yesterday was great, but it`s now exactly that....Yesterday ! Time to move on to `18 ! Any thoughts on main targets/areas of emphasis for next year? Obviously, CNS has moved on !

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
OK. Yesterday was great, but it`s now exactly that....Yesterday ! Time to move on to `18 ! Any thoughts on main targets/areas of emphasis for next year? Obviously, CNS has moved on !
You, sir, have been processed. :biggrin:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Easy... He can move on because he gets paid to do so. We have the luxury of taking a day or two of rest.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Coach Saban and his staff work extremely hard to get these type results. His tenacity and commitment to excellence in all details is really just amazing. Not everyone can work for someone like Coach Saban.

He appeared to take the championship loss hard, and I was hoping it would result in an even greater focus and desire to win all things (recruiting, spring practice, 4th Q drills, last drives of championship games, etc...). But then it hit me. As much as Coach loves the wins he isn't about the results but always, always the process. If anyone has any doubts of him coaching much longer you need only look at yesterday.

We are so extremely blessed to have Coach Saban! I'm going to try my best to sit back and enjoy and support it in all its many phases. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.