Thoughts after a productive NSD

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It sets up for a big next year and after. It is strange, though. Maybe FSU outworked them for some of the guys they wanted? I don't know the minutiae of their roster management.
Dabo said that they probably will sign 10-12 people next year. IF you go back and look at the class 2015 class, it was around 26 people. I don't know why they did that... Part of the reason is that they have lot of players that doesn't go to NFL, offering scholarships to walk-on and seems like if ACC is averaging 24-26 each year, and Clemson isn't doing that... it'll catch up with them faster than they think.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just looked at the numbers of Clemson's recruiting classes going back to 2013. They signed 105 players in the five classes in the time frame. They've lost 21 players from the 2013, 2014, and 2015 classes from what I can tell (transfers, quitting, dismissal, and NFL). They also had six players listed on their roster as "rsSR and rGr." I don't include those six guys since they wouldn't be on the 2017 roster.

Assuming my math is right, they have 84 scholarship players. They've redshirted 24 guys from the 2014 and 2015 classes. Don't we all expect that Hunter Renfrow kid to be on scholarship by now? That would make 85 guys.

Regarding the 2018 class, I only see 9 guys entering their senior year. Dabo better hope he has some young guys blossom to the point of declaring for the draft early.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
how do you win a national title and only get 14 guys?
I've heard that you really tend to get the recruiting bump the following year. The championship game and signing day are so close that I think it doesn't necessarily help you in recruiting. When you get into the roster management aspects of the situation, the championship game can actually hurt. That's a lot of distraction and not everyone manages it well. Saban is fantastic at managing it but you'll still hear him grumbling from time to time about the extra stuff he has to do. Having said that, it's hard to completely explain what just happened there. In order to sustain success you really want to keep new talent coming in. It's odd...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Dabo said that they probably will sign 10-12 people next year. IF you go back and look at the class 2015 class, it was around 26 people. I don't know why they did that... Part of the reason is that they have lot of players that doesn't go to NFL, offering scholarships to walk-on and seems like if ACC is averaging 24-26 each year, and Clemson isn't doing that... it'll catch up with them faster than they think.
If that's the case, to sign 14 then 10-12, I don't know. It will catch up, though, as you said. Injuries, transfers, the natural attrition of big time college football will expose some depth issues. All of that can be overcome should you stay healthy and have a superstar like D. Watson. But he's gone, so what'll Dabo do now?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.