Thoughts after a productive NSD

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
OUR CLASS

Is this Nick Saban’s best class since he has been at Alabama? Per the 'experts,' it is.

I think the proof comes much later down the road. However, this class will prove that Alabama will be in playoff contention for at least four more years.

We always talk about meeting needs. Did this class meet those needs? I will answer that with a resounding, YES!

Everyone mentioned defensive line as an area of significant need. Losing Allen, Tomlinson, and Williams will be impossible to replace. The hardest thing to replace is experience. The talent is on campus…..and is continuing to arrive. While many wanted more, this DL class filled exactly what we needed. An instant contributor in Buggs. A true DT in Mathis who reminds me of Tomlinson. Another Johnathan Allen type in Ray. Ray was the true gem on the DL in this entire recruiting class, IMO, not Solomon. People will be pleasantly surprised by the DL next season-- heck, most missed how many snaps the 2s played in the Clemson game….did you notice a drop off? (they shouldve played more). Not to mention how well Davis looked after missing 4 weeks of any team related activity and the praise heaped on Quinnen Williams, who redshirted. Next year should be a deeper, more talented DL class and we will add probably 4 more.

The fact that the staff turned down DBs in Harris and Henderson should tell you how they feel about what is on campus, in addition to what we have in McDonald-- who to me is the most underrated kid in the class. McKinney and Wright are Star/Safety position guys.

LBs, LBs, LBs. With Wilson, Hamilton, Davis, Evans, Holcombe, etc on campus, we might not see our new signees on the field at the Mike or Will. However, I could see a guy like Moses or Allen or Benton or Cowan rush the passer and definitely play on special teams. The fact that the staff got a guy like Parks to agree to greyshirt is incredible...which may play to his advantage with the Jacks on campus and another year in between them.

I love this OL class. Like, love love it. Wills will be a terror at guard or RT, IMO. Bulldozer. Leatherwood looks like he should be a college starter already. Baker will instantly be in the two deep and maybe our next RT if we slide Williams over to LT. Randolph adds needed depth to the interior. While it looks like Brannon may come on scholarship later, I guarantee he will start at center sometime down the line.

Recall Trent Richardson’s recruitment. Mouth watering size. Hard to tackle. Nimble for someone that big. That’s Najee Harris in a taller frame. Special. And oh yeah, there’s another back from the hometown that in any other year would be celebrated as a huge get in Robinson. Reminds me of 2016 version of Nick Chubb.

WRs. Holy cow. Speed speed speed in Ruggs, Smith and Jeudy. Size in Shavers, who is extremely overlooked and underrated. I expect huge things from him. Ruggs has an unlimited ceiling because of his relatively low football experience. Let’s put it this way: For all the hype Nico Collins got in Alabama. We had four guys rated higher on our board, and signed all four.

The TE position. After Forristall’s surprise year, we added James and Tennison (who automatically gets on the All-Name team). I like to see this because it should mean a continued usage (I hesitate to say focus) on the position.

QB. Tua. Mac. Love that both will be able to go through spring because you are looking at the backups for 2017. Mac gets overlooked be he has a great touch, but needs to get in the weight room. Tua has received all sorts of praise because he is athletic, but also shows promise with his arm. I will reserve calling him able to compete with Hurts day one, but some people think he has the stuff.

Special Teams. We signed Mazza’s replacement and Fletcher has big shoes to fill. Tinker and Mazza maybe had one poor snap….EVER? Bulovas, whenever he officially joins the team, will be in line for kicks, though I believe Papa will cover short kicks and JK Scott long ones in 2017.

OTHER CLASSES

The distance between Bama, and let's say, Awbun at 9th is staggering. It's not close.

UGA did well. I like the look of the class, depth up the middle and picked up some nice skill on the outside. Kirby did learn a thing or two.

LSU had a nice class. Added some depth to the interior OL and some more solid DBs. But, is the QB worth a hoot? It looks like a microcosm of their current roster.

If you take away Stidham and the 5 star OT, Awbun's class isn't that great. Though I do like that in-state LB whose name escapes me.

Clemson signed 14 players. 14. 14? They have only signed 78 over the last four years. I know, I know they just beat us with a great team....but, that is poor roster management, IMHO.

Ole Miss. bahahahaha

UF had a great day to go from upper 20s to 10 during the day. However, UF should be top 5 every year. FSU had a nice class, coming in at 6th.

UT is sandwiched in between Clemson and Maryland......yes, Maryland. If the end has four stages, Butch is in stage 3.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
LMAO @ Ole Miss fans. The one I love to laugh at at is on NSBB. He' throwing the typical OM garbage. The butthurt has been satisfying.
As for the class, I run out of words to express my happiness but nonetheless ._.....Job well done.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
More questions than thoughts.

Townsend - ATH . . . Offense or defense? . . . Position? Is he a Ardarius Stewart type who was a HS QB and will be a wideout project? Does he start learning to play CB for the future?

Lots of chatter about Wills moving to def line . . . Guess we'll find out when spring drills begin.

Wonder if we see some departures before fall and Parks getting a vacated scholarship.

Most years we would be very happy with Robinson at RB . . . Harris must be special.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
More questions than thoughts.

Townsend - ATH . . . Offense or defense? . . . Position? Is he a Ardarius Stewart type who was a HS QB and will be a wideout project? Does he start learning to play CB for the future?

Lots of chatter about Wills moving to def line . . . Guess we'll find out when spring drills begin.

Wonder if we see some departures before fall and Parks getting a vacated scholarship.

Most years we would be very happy with Robinson at RB . . . Harris must be special.
Townnsend- offense, though i think he'd be a great DB.

Wills traded as high as they've ever graded an OL.

Parks could totally still get in now. Academics could claim someone.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Townnsend- offense, though i think he'd be a great DB.

Wills traded as high as they've ever graded an OL.

Parks could totally still get in now. Academics could claim someone.

A'shawn was rated as a 5 star OT, and we slid him right into an instant contributor role on the DL.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It's like Coach is recruiting on the Freshman setting, where you get who you want, always.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Clemson signed 14 players. 14. 14? They have only signed 78 over the last four years. I know, I know they just beat us with a great team....but, that is poor roster management, IMHO.

Clemson's Class Rankings 2011-2017:

2011- 8
2012- 14
2013- 14
2014- 13
2015- 4
2016- 6
2017- #22

Average Class Ranking is 10 from 2011-2016. Then comes 2017. LOL!

Yeah, something doesn't seem right about that. They go from averaging a top ten recruiting class to a 22nd rank class with only 14 players.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I never get tired of winning the recruiting war, This offensive line class.... Seriously if we can develop these guys I could see a 2018 season where we could literally run on anyone we play and unlike this year with a lock to have an experienced QB by then. They won't be able to use the "Clemson 11 in the box" defense.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Clemson's Class Rankings 2011-2017:

2011- 8
2012- 14
2013- 14
2014- 13
2015- 4
2016- 6
2017- #22

Average Class Ranking is 10 from 2011-2016. Then comes 2017. LOL!

Yeah, something doesn't seem right about that. They go from averaging a top ten recruiting class to a 22nd rank class with only 14 players.
how do you win a national title and only get 14 guys?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
It sets up for a big next year and after. It is strange, though. Maybe FSU outworked them for some of the guys they wanted? I don't know the minutiae of their roster management.

RBTider

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 15, 2009
Oxford Alabama
I remember losing badly to Louisville in a bowl one year. The reason given was the coaches spent all their time recruiting and let the game slide. Then they won a national championship. Dabo Swiney was on that team. He may have worried more about winning a championship than recruiting players this past year. Doesn't matter as long as we have a coach who can do both! Roll Tide Coach Saban is the best and second is not even close!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.