by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
February 2nd, 2017 04:45 AM

1. Alabama
Key signings
: DT Isaiah Buggs, DT Phidarian Mathis, QB Tua Tagovailoa
Underrated: TE Kedrick James, RB Brian Robinson
Total talent level (Ex, Vg, Av, Fr, Pr): Ex
Needs filled: Vg Analysis: For maybe the first time ever, the conference leader didn’t get “excellent” ratings in […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
And in case anyone was wondering, here's how we rated the SEC classes overall:

1. Alabama
5. LSU
7. Georgia
12. Florida
14. Auburn
17. Texas A&M
21. South Carolina
22. Tennessee
24. Mississippi State
28. Arkansas
29. Kentucky
33. Ole Miss
40. Missouri
55. Vanderbilt

Takeaway from this is that the SEC kind of took a pounding this year. We're accustomed to seeing five SEC teams in the nation's top 10 and it didn't work out that way. Part of it is Nick Saban's recruit vacuum cleaner sucking everything toward Tuscaloosa, but we're beginning to see more parity than in recent years.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
And in case anyone was wondering, here's how we rated the SEC classes overall:

1. Alabama
5. LSU
7. Georgia
12. Florida
14. Auburn
17. Texas A&M
21. South Carolina
22. Tennessee
24. Mississippi State
28. Arkansas
29. Kentucky
33. Ole Miss
40. Missouri
55. Vanderbilt

Takeaway from this is that the SEC kind of took a pounding this year. We're accustomed to seeing five SEC teams in the nation's top 10 and it didn't work out that way. Part of it is Nick Saban's recruit vacuum cleaner sucking everything toward Tuscaloosa, but we're beginning to see more parity than in recent years.

interesting read and assessement. is there a calculation to your rankings, or is it intuitive? I can't speak to the cmparison of years past but 11 out of the top 30 hardly seems terrible as a conference.

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Look forward to this every year, thanks. I'm guessing this was before we added Chevin Calloway on NSD?

There isn't much size but I like that we got some speed, which we really needed. Would have also liked to add more DL but we signed 6 last year and the move to the 3-4 may be the reason we don't need as many. With us losing Sprinkle and so many WRs I feel like getting Martin and Patton filled big needs.

Last edited:

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
interesting read and assessement. is there a calculation to your rankings, or is it intuitive? I can't speak to the cmparison of years past but 11 out of the top 30 hardly seems terrible as a conference.
It's our rankings. We're not as in-depth as some of the outlets that focus on recruiting first (our corner of the market is the analysis side of the current teams and games) but we have been doing this 20 years now.

The SEC didn't finish terribly, but the norm lately has been domination and this didn't qualify as such, in my opinion. Texas A&M and Tennessee expect to be top-10 programs year in and year out; you don't get there with class rankings of 17th and 22nd. Florida under Jim McElwain has struggled to bring in the best players. Ole Miss obviously went backwards for reasons we talked about in the piece, etc. I think the only schools that exceeded expectations were South Carolina and Mississippi State.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Look forward to this every year, thanks. I'm guessing this was before we added Chevin Calloway on NSD?

There isn't much size but I like that we got some speed, which we really needed. Would have also liked to add more DL but we signed 6 last year and the move to the 3-4 may be the reason we don't need as many. With us losing Sprinkle and so many WRs I feel like getting Martin and Patton filled big needs.

It includes Calloway (I probably should have mentioned him as a contributor in the first sentence, to be honest) and while there is indeed a lot of speed in that class, I didn't like the offensive backfield talent pool as much, and the offensive line class is a bit out of Arkansas character to me. Now, this could be a signal of a strategy shift (especially taking the DL also into consideration) much like Alabama did a couple of years ago when they decided to get off the bulk train, but I think it's more a function of taking who they could get to come there. The biggest issue of all is where the Razorbacks rank compared to their SEC brethren. If you want to win the division you can't keep hanging around the 9-10-11 range.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.