Milo Yiannopoulos event cancelled at UC Berkley due to protests

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm bothered the College Republicans keep giving him invites. He's already shown us that he'll single out and harass individual students in his tirades. That really goes beyond the pale.
So what? Is this some sort of excuse for rioting / destructive behavior? If not, I'm not sure why you posted it as it's not a factor.

Either people believe in free speech or they don't, it's really that simple.

I don't really care about this story either way as it has zero affect on me - unless these 'tolerant' people decide to get violent around me.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
So what? Is this some sort of excuse for rioting / destructive behavior? If not, I'm not sure why you posted it as it's not a factor.

Either people believe in free speech or they don't, it's really that simple.

I don't really care about this story either way as it has zero affect on me - unless these 'tolerant' people decide to get violent around me.
No. It's like Aperture said. The rioters aren't doing themselves any favors and he should be allowed to speak (provided he isn't harassing anyone, he should be so it can debated and shown how worthless, hollow and pathetic his ideals are) but the goal is simply to get a rise out of people.

I also find it ironic that Yiannopoulos is banging the free speech drum when he champions folks like Geert Wilders.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No. It's like Aperture said. The rioters aren't doing themselves any favors and he should be allowed to speak (provided he isn't harassing anyone, he should be so it can debated and shown how worthless, hollow and pathetic his ideals are) but the goal is simply to get a rise out of people.
I guess my point is that the motivation regarding bringing him in is meaningless - we don't really know (we can only guess).

That said, even if it is to get the idiots riled up, so what? If they cannot control themselves, the police can do it for them. If these clowns are that intolerant of free speech they don't like, I'm happy there are other idiots that get them riled up. They deserve each other.

ETA: ultimately, it doesn't matter why he was there - the rioters are the ones who were out of line - it's as simple as that.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I guess my point is that the motivation regarding bringing him in is meaningless - we don't really know (we can only guess).
It's because he's provocative.

That said, even if it is to get the idiots riled up, so what? If they cannot control themselves, the police can do it for them. If these clowns are that intolerant of free speech they don't like, I'm happy there are other idiots that get them riled up. They deserve each other.

ETA: ultimately, it doesn't matter why he was there - the rioters are the ones who were out of line - it's as simple as that.
Look, we're on the same page here. The president of the next college he speaks at needs to tell anyone planning any sort of violence to put a sock in it. Protest peacefully or don't protest at all.

Might not help, though. This looks more like an AstroTurfed demonstration by professional anarchists than a student demonstration. Managing may be beyond the ability of the university.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's because he's provocative.

Look, we're on the same page here. The president of the next college he speaks at needs to tell anyone planning any sort of violence to put a sock in it. Protest peacefully or don't protest at all.

Might not help, though. This looks more like an AstroTurfed demonstration by professional anarchists than a student demonstration. Managing may be beyond the ability of the university.
these guys/gals tend to show up at west coast protests quite a bit. i remember some of them started/caused a lot of trouble at the seattle wto protests in 99

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
It must be frustrating to have people who don't even belong on campus come uninvited and engage in violence and destruction. Maybe a more robust (campus) border security would help. Or maybe even a wall.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
So now the narrative is that professional anarchists started the riot instead of the students who were being peaceful?

I won't link the letter here due to language (although I linked a portal to it in the other thread) but google "open letter milo yiannopoulos neil lawrence" and judge for oneself. Neil Lawrence is a female to male transgender student at UC Berkeley and writes for The Daily Californian.

With Milo being the lightning rod that he is, would it be beyond the realm of reason that it could have been both anarchists and students or...'gasp'(spoiler alert)...the students were the anarchists?

Last edited:

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Black Bloc, ANTIFA, peaceful students, whoever/whatever and who cares at this point...end result was free speech was suppressed and a mess with no arrests.

Students cleaning up the mess left by rioters

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Why haven't the authorities made any arrest in the riot. There was a white guy wearing a RUN DMC black t-shirt and a covering over his face, he was later seen on TV removing his mask so there is a clear shot of his face. The rioters/students burned a generator and lighting system, several ATM machines were damaged and windows broken. Is it a felony to toss a Molotov Cocktail into a crowed area? Its a gasoline bomb and no one is calling for arrests to be made.

I could care less if your right or left wing, gay or straight or trans. I wonder what Bank of America has to say about there damaged ATM's. Looks like you can riot and destroy property and UC Berkeley and not be punished.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Why haven't the authorities made any arrest in the riot. There was a white guy wearing a RUN DMC black t-shirt and a covering over his face, he was later seen on TV removing his mask so there is a clear shot of his face. The rioters/students burned a generator and lighting system, several ATM machines were damaged and windows broken. Is it a felony to toss a Molotov Cocktail into a crowed area? Its a gasoline bomb and no one is calling for arrests to be made.

I could care less if your right or left wing, gay or straight or trans. I wonder what Bank of America has to say about there damaged ATM's. Looks like left wingers can riot and destroy property and UC Berkeley and not be punished.
Fixed

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

.I could care less if your right or left wing, gay or straight or trans. I wonder what Bank of America has to say about there damaged ATM's. Looks like you can riot and destroy property and UC Berkeley and not be punished.
Takes a while to ID the miscreants.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I could care less if your right or left wing, gay or straight or trans. I wonder what Bank of America has to say about there damaged ATM's. Looks like you can riot and destroy property and UC Berkeley and not be punished.
White privilege

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.