Link: Joey Freshwater strikes again... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Believe it or not I'd actually agree with that. Earle tried to tell me but I held on that, "Give him a chance" mentality. He blew it, and I apologize for any anger issues I created. STILL, strictly as an OC, he did a great job until the Washington game. But he stunk up that game and created a real problem by leaving when he did, even if he was fired, which he was.
I mis-judged this situation badly, but I still think people should give Kiffin credit for the overall job he did in developing Blake, Coker, and Jalen as Quarterbacks. That can't be denied.
To me, his calling would be as an NFL Quarterback coach. He could make a bunch of bucks, hang out all night, and still be successful.
sip
I suspect he will get the chance to experience that calling again in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
CNS teaches that after a play is over you have to move on to the next play. That you can't dwell on the past mistakes or you can't/won't get any better. Losing the NCG hurt but I have moved on and am looking forward to the 2017 season. Hope everyone else can do the same. RTR

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As long as he is not sleeping with students at FAU, I don't really care. But you can't cross that line. I don't know the man or his ex-wife, so I won't even try to guess what led to their failed marriage. I don't have a problem with his drinking, and I have not seen evidence of a drinking problem. Most coaches drink - a lot - and most do so in public places - a lot. Some need help like Sark, but most manage to do all of that drinking while still doing a stellar job with their job responsibilities.

I have no idea what happened at the end of Kiffin's time at Alabama, but I assume that it was really bad for Saban to make that change when he did. Thankfully you have a guy like Sark to take over, and the #1 ranked recruiting class to restock the shelves. Life is good. The chase for #17 continues.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Believe it or not I'd actually agree with that. Earle tried to tell me but I held on that, "Give him a chance" mentality. He blew it, and I apologize for any anger issues I created. STILL, strictly as an OC, he did a great job until the Washington game. But he stunk up that game and created a real problem by leaving when he did, even if he was fired, which he was.
I mis-judged this situation badly, but I still think people should give Kiffin credit for the overall job he did in developing Blake, Coker, and Jalen as Quarterbacks. That can't be denied.
To me, his calling would be as an NFL Quarterback coach. He could make a bunch of bucks, hang out all night, and still be successful.
sip
Eventually he would have to act like a grown up professional or this type of behavior will destroy him regardless of what job title he has. I'm shocked that in the multimedia world we live in that he was able to survive three years with CNS in Tuscaloosa. It is an really small city and it is hard not to hear about things.

I have said that even if it costs us another title it was worth changing OCs. It should have happened earlier and contrary to many peoples belief Lane was given at least two last chances. It was like baseball with strikes 1, 2, and 3 you're out. I'm convinced there may have been a foul tip in there as well. Anyway, like you said, he's someone else's headache now and I for one am RELIEVED!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
He was a d- bag before he came to Bama, and most here agreed. He was a d-bag while he was at Bama, yet most here loved him. He will probably be a d-bag for a long time because there have been no consequences that would force him to change. "Hey, I screwed up again and I now have my own program and bring in big bucks still." Why would he change if he keeps getting rewarded with lots of money, which in our society seems to make people believe they are right and smarter than others. I don't have a problem with drinking and chasing girls. I liked doing that a lot myself in my younger days, but I do hope the man doesn't become a threat to himself and/or others.
For the record, though, I hear his name has now been changed to Joey Saltwater due to his proximity to the coast. Hahaha, I must admit that I laughed when I heard that one.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
For the record, I was never a fan of his style of play calling and am more than happy he is out. Good riddance.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Amazing how people were calling him a genius a year ago when we won the national title, but, now that he's left and we didn't, oh, he's suddenly a scumbag, even though this news about his night life has been out for quite awhile going back to last year at least.
The judgement, and double standard, is ridiculous. I'm not trying to argue, but my goodness...
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
I'm sure nobody here has ever drank a drop, had extra-marital activities, missed a Sunday service, or gotten a divorce because they screwed up with their wife.
The man is not a coach at UA any more, but, like it or not, he did a phenomenal job as OC while he was here.
Let it go for goodness sakes, and let's move on.
What is ridiculous is your inability to see the forest for the tree's.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Hope we are not talking about Sark like this 2 years from now. I know, there will be all kind of reasoning as to why we won't, but we just don't know at this point.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm a little surprised Coach Saban hasn't drawn some scrutiny over the decision to keep him after the FAU hire. Seems like that would have been a great time to jettison him.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
As long as he is not sleeping with students at FAU, I don't really care. But you can't cross that line. I don't know the man or his ex-wife, so I won't even try to guess what led to their failed marriage. I don't have a problem with his drinking, and I have not seen evidence of a drinking problem. Most coaches drink - a lot - and most do so in public places - a lot. Some need help like Sark, but most manage to do all of that drinking while still doing a stellar job with their job responsibilities.

I have no idea what happened at the end of Kiffin's time at Alabama, but I assume that it was really bad for Saban to make that change when he did. Thankfully you have a guy like Sark to take over, and the #1 ranked recruiting class to restock the shelves. Life is good. The chase for #17 continues.
Lot of evidence of a drinking problem. Just not all public.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
So, are the co-eds free game the minute they get their diplomas? The problem really isn't that they are students, it is that they are students and he is an employee of the school. I don't care about the age difference as long as the parties are all consenting adults. The problem is that he is the head coach for the football team and the co-eds should be off limits until they graduate. I can't believe, at his age, he can't see the problem with this! The liability is tremendous and opens all sorts of potential issues for lawsuits. He needs to be prohibited, under contract, from fraternizing with students since he seems incapable of doing this on his own. I think it is sad especially since he has such young children. They will be old enough to understand this behavior one day and it will be detrimental to them.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
So, are the co-eds free game the minute they get their diplomas? The problem really isn't that they are students, it is that they are students and he is an employee of the school. I don't care about the age difference as long as the parties are all consenting adults. The problem is that he is the head coach for the football team and the co-eds should be off limits until they graduate. I can't believe, at his age, he can't see the problem with this! The liability is tremendous and opens all sorts of potential issues for lawsuits. He needs to be prohibited, under contract, from fraternizing with students since he seems incapable of doing this on his own. I think it is sad especially since he has such young children. They will be old enough to understand this behavior one day and it will be detrimental to them.
His problems are numerous. He is a walking PR and lawsuit nightmare for any institution of higher learning. He will cross the line at some point - mess with the wrong girl and it will be over for him. In the wake of PSU and Baylor I don't really understand how coaches can conduct the personal or professional behavior with such ambivalence.

It's too convenient to take the position that I am going to respect him only for the job done on the field because I didn't live close enough to Tuscaloosa to have an idea of what was really going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Amazing how people were calling him a genius a year ago when we won the national title, but, now that he's left and we didn't, oh, he's suddenly a scumbag, even though this news about his night life has been out for quite awhile going back to last year at least.
The judgement, and double standard, is ridiculous. I'm not trying to argue, but my goodness...
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
I'm sure nobody here has ever drank a drop, had extra-marital activities, missed a Sunday service, or gotten a divorce because they screwed up with their wife.
The man is not a coach at UA any more, but, like it or not, he did a phenomenal job as OC while he was here.
Let it go for goodness sakes, and let's move on.
I don't even know where to begin with this nonsense.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
One last thought: Kiffin's departure in no way walls off UA from embarrassment and potential damage. If the real story ever gets out in print, Nick Saban and school officials will have to explain why this was allowed to go on for three years.

sip

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a bit unclear on the reasoning here. If it's not their age, then what is the problem exactly with him working at the school? Presumably you are saying there is a power imbalance, and a potential abuse of power. However, they aren't his students. He isn't on faculty. He can't give them a good or bad grade or influence them in that way. They do not work together. He has no authority over them whatsoever. If they are too young to make responsible decisions, that would be a reason I could understand intervening, but since you said it's not age, then at some point the women involved are simply responsible for themselves and it is not the role of the institution to get involved. I think there is something distasteful but not illegal about what JoeyF is doing. I agree the personal consequences on his family and probably himself are harmful and even morally reprehensible. But I don't see how these women being students at the institution is a part of the issue.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
At this point, I almost have to imagine there was an exchange like this during Kiffin's interviews for his new job...

"Coach Kiffin, we understand you enjoy the night life...?"

Kiffin: "Yes, to be blunt, I like to have a good time, and that includes enjoying young ladies. The more the better. It's part of what I bring to the table, take it or leave it. You can't hire just the part about me you like, I'm a package deal."

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
At this point, I almost have to imagine there was an exchange like this during Kiffin's interviews for his new job...

"Coach Kiffin, we understand you enjoy the night life...?"

Kiffin: "Yes, to be blunt, I like to have a good time, and that includes enjoying young ladies. The more the better. It's part of what I bring to the table, take it or leave it. You can't hire just the part about me you like. It's my "package" deal."
I enhanced it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.