Opinion-What was the single biggest play of the college football season?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I have it in my mind, and I really don't think it's disputable, but I'd love to know what everybody else thinks....
I'll reveal mine later, but probably everybody else will feel the same as me, so it won't be a major drama.
One qualification--It's not Watson to Renfroe in the title game.
What do you think?
sip

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you're taking out the illegal pick play, I'll say the bogus personal foul penalty on Payne to start the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
A missed FG by NC State.
Yep...if their kicker could have made a chip shot field goal....Clemson wouldn't even have been in the playoff, and we would have probably killed any other team that we would have played for the national title. At least, I can't imagine anybody else with the capability of beating us, other than Clemson.
As Coach Bryant used to say, "Well, first, we have to win the kicking game". How true.
Dang, I was hoping this thread would last longer :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you mean the most important play, I'll go with the one that won the national championship with 1 second to go. There were hundreds of plays that happened before that play to set the stage across too many games to count, but Clemson still had to complete that pass to win the game.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If you mean the most important play, I'll go with the one that won the national championship with 1 second to go. There were hundreds of plays that happened before that play to set the stage across too many games to count, but Clemson still had to complete that pass to win the game.
And they had to cheat to boot...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I agree with the NC state missed field goal.

Another highlight play was the Penn State blocked FG converted for a TD to win against Ohio State, but all that would have done is made OSU #2 and Clemson #3 heading into the playoffs...same end result.

Injuries. The play where we lost Eddie Jackson to a broken leg was very big. One can only speculate that perhaps with his experience the Clemson game may have been a different ball game. Losing Scarbrough in the second half of the NCG hurt a lot as well.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I have it in my mind, and I really don't think it's disputable, but I'd love to know what everybody else thinks....
I'll reveal mine later, but probably everybody else will feel the same as me, so it won't be a major drama.
What do you think?
sip
I believe the Biggest play of the season was one that should have had a yellow flag sending THAT game into OT!

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Obviously in a National Title Game decided with 5 seconds to go, the go ahead touchdown was the play of the season.

NC State missing the FG is massive, but on the flipside you don't know the potential butterfly affect a loss at that stage of the season would have had going forward -- i.e. a loss to NC State possibly refocuses/galvanizes the Clemson team and maybe they beat Pitt.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
On Bama's last drive, if Jalen gets tackled about the 15 yard line by Clemson and we have to run a few more plays to score a TD, Bama probably takes the clock down to inside of a minute to play and Clemson doesn't have time to drive the field. However, we might not have ended up scoring a TD if Jalen would have gotten tackled.

Lots of plays during season were big.

The NC State FG miss against Clemson was first one that I thought of though.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What do you think?
sip

That one qualification of your's was the final play that ultimately determined who the National Champion was to be. So, how could it not be the biggest play?

I disagreed with your statement. I actually think that's the only time that I've ever disagreed with anything you've ever said.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have something in mind but I really don't know how to put it.

I'll just say, whatever the play was that happened off the field that distracted our OC to the point his removal prior to the NC game was necessary.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
That one qualification of your's was the final play that ultimately determined who the National Champion was to be. So, how could it not be the biggest play?

I disagreed with your statement. I actually think that's the only time that I've ever disagreed with anything you've ever said.
Hahahaha really? I think Sip may be the most disagreed with poster on Tidefans. However, in this case I agree with him.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I agree with Sip. When I saw the question, I automatically went to the NC State kicker.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I can appreciate where you're coming from, and understand exactly what you're saying. But my point was, that without that botched kick, Clemson would have had no opportunity to run that last play. Therefore, at least to me, the missed kick had more influence on the national title than any other play all season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can appreciate where you're coming from, and understand exactly what you're saying. But my point was, that without that botched kick, Clemson would have had no opportunity to run that last play. Therefore, at least to me, the missed kick had more influence on the national title than any other play all season.

You are assuming that they still lose to Pitt after that loss. Pretty big assumption, IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.