Fukushima nuclear reactor radiation at highest level since 2011 meltdown

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), said atmospheric readings as high as 530 sieverts an hour had been recorded inside the containment vessel of reactor No 2, one of three reactors that experienced a meltdown when the plant was crippled by a huge tsunami that struck the north-east coast of Japan in March 2011.

A single dose of one sievert is enough to cause radiation sickness and nausea; 5 sieverts would kill half those exposed to it within a month, and a single dose of 10 sieverts would prove fatal within weeks.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-radiation-levels-highest-since-2011-meltdown

• Wow
Reactions: TexasBama

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So how would they get the melted material out of there, and what would they do with it? How would they insulate and store it?
I wish there was an easy answer, but I don't know that there is - anything hot enough to melt concrete is going to be very difficult to retrieve and store.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Yeah, that'll end well...

Brian Johnson was a great effects artist. Did some awesome work...

Johnson's work on Space: 1999 influenced the effects of the Star Wars films of the 1970s and 1980s. Impressed by his work, George Lucas visited Johnson during the production of the TV series to offer him the role of effects supervisor for the 1977 film. Having already been commissioned for the second series of Space: 1999, Johnson was unable to accept at the time. He did, however, work on the sequel: The Empire Strikes Back (1980), whose special effects were recognised in the form of a 1981 Special Achievement Academy Award (which Johnson shared with Richard Edlund, Dennis Muren and Bruce Nicholson).

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I wish there was an easy answer, but I don't know that there is - anything hot enough to melt concrete is going to be very difficult to retrieve and store.
Shouldn't be that hot anymore. Corium cools and solidifies pretty quickly. Main goal at this point is to keep it undisturbed, contained, cool and to prevent it from leaching into the surrounding environment until it's safe enough to remove.

Man, 500 Sieverts. That will render you incapacitated and dead very quickly depending on the type of radiation.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Man, 500 Sieverts. That will render you incapacitated and dead very quickly depending on the type of radiation.
Just to give y'all and idea of how dangerous it is in there, twenty-three seconds is enough to hit the LD50/60. That's half of those exposed dead within sixty days. You'll feel queasy pretty quickly and will vomit and have uncontrollable diarrhea assuming you get out at that time. Even if you make it to those 60 days, you're still very likely to die within half a year.

You'll vomit uncontrollably within about thirty seconds. You may survive a week or two after that, assuming you get out immediately, and may even feel OK for a few days, but you will die a very painful death somewhere in that span.

One minute of exposure amounts to about nine-hundred Rems. That would kill you within the hour. You'll be unconscious in about that span. Left there a few minutes, you will die (mercifully) quickly.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Just to give y'all and idea of how dangerous it is in there, twenty-three seconds is enough to hit the LD50/60. That's half of those exposed dead within sixty days. You'll feel queasy pretty quickly and will vomit and have uncontrollable diarrhea assuming you get out at that time. Even if you make it to those 60 days, you're still very likely to die within half a year.

You'll vomit uncontrollably within about thirty seconds. You may survive a week or two after that, assuming you get out immediately, and may even feel OK for a few days, but you will die a very painful death somewhere in that span.

One minute of exposure amounts to about nine-hundred Rems. That would kill you within the hour. You'll be unconscious in about that span. Left there a few minutes, you will die (mercifully) quickly.

That is terrifying!! Also - love the Mandlebrot set avatar!

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
300 tons of waste water are still dumping into the Pacific as well. What is that doing to the Ocean and marine life?

Revelations 8: 8-10

…8Then the second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned to blood, 9a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed. 10Then the third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star burning like a torch fell from heaven and landed on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water.…

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.