Budweiser Super Bowl immigration ad controversy

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The scary thing is, the craft breweries represent a ridiculously small percentage of domestic sales.
Sam Adams founder Jim Koch once claimed that "the big guys spill more than we make" - likely hyperbole but the scale is ridiculous. While Sam Adams (the largest craft brewer in the US) brews around 6 million barrels of beer per year, Anheuser-Busch produces 125 million barrels of beer per year...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Good ad, not a great beer.

Germans did not face the same xenophobia that Irishmen of the same period did, unless those Germans were openly Catholic, then they received the echoes of the Reformation/Counter-reformation controversy which tore Europe up so badly, because most Americans at the time were Protestant and Anti-Papist, frequently militantly so.
The American, or "Know-Nothing" party (do not ever let your opposition name your party) was generally anti-immigrant and they mostly drifted into the Republican party after 1854.
Large numbers of '48ers (proponents of a united Germany that lost in the revolutions of 1848-9 and were expelled from or invited to leave Germany) settled in the Missouri River valley of Missouri, between St. Louis and Jefferson City, the Missouri Rhineland. These formed the core of the Hegelian "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" types that supported the Union in 1861-1865, and made the war in Missouri a particularly nasty affair.
Ironically, the reputation of Germans in the Late Unpleasantness was that of unmotivated cowards who did not know how to fight. The Union XI Corps under General Oliver Otis Howard contained high numbers of German-Americans. They folded like a tent at Chancellorsville, and folded again at Gettysburg. They earned the nickname "Howard's Cowards" and "the Flying Dutchmen," and the Corps was broken up after the latter fight.
Ugh - Hegel. What a bastard. But thank George Williamson for teaching him like a champ.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Them buying up craft breweries is going to be a trend in the future too. They bought Goose Island recently. Luckily the quality of the beer hasn't suffered. SABMiller bought Terrapin and luckily their lineup didn't suffer either. Of course, AB InBev owns Miller now, and therefore Terrapin, too.
I don't think they fully bought out Terrapin - I heard it was something like a 15-20% share. Of course this was controversial on the level of an indie band signing with DGC in the early 90s.

I understand when Ballast Point sold out to that Mexican beer company it was in the neighborhood of $1 billion. As good as that brewery is - and it is *very* good - that is serious money.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Broad brush you got there.

It's really amazing what rustles peoples jimmies now days.
I'm not the one running out in traffic because my candidate lost, wearing a snatch on my head, rioting at Cal, or viewing the Super Bowl through a black and white sociological prism either.

And I said it was a tad over the top but it's getting more difficult by the day with each hair pulling meltdown to take the opposition to Trump any more seriously than I take him, which is not at all.

People are finding ridiculous meanings in things that don't exist while calling the head Cheeto a conspiracy nut.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Also - if any of you are fans of Sixpoint Brewery - their Five Beans Porter is A+.

Wife and I killed off mass amounts of wine on Saturday so I was teetotaling last night. That said - there's a glass of the Glenlivet 10 waiting for me when the children are in bed tonight.

you have a truly bizarre picture of the life of a modern immigrant. I have a buddy that teaches at one of the refugee schools in Clarkston GA, let me know if you'd like to get a view that is centered on reality and I will see if I can get him to oblige

and it is also not the point. The contention on that Ad is that it showed an immigrant that no one wanted here becoming a success despite the opposition (And I know the germans had it relatively easy and this was a BS Story). The point is that this ad was Pro Immigrant at a very anti-immigrant time in American Culture
Anti Immigration? Really? That's propaganda right there. Cool story though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Ugh - Hegel. What a bastard. But thank George Williamson for teaching him like a champ.
Also - fun side note on the whole "Ein Volk" thing - Pat Buchanan - who I kind of like - once used an anti-Semitic inversion of that phrase in accusing DA JEWS of running US foreign policy. It was quoted in the now infamous "Unpatriotic Conservatives" cover story that David Frum did for National Review.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I don't think they fully bought out Terrapin - I heard it was something like a 15-20% share. Of course this was controversial on the level of an indie band signing with DGC in the early 90s.

I understand when Ballast Point sold out to that Mexican beer company it was in the neighborhood of $1 billion. As good as that brewery is - and it is *very* good - that is serious money.
I had it wrong. It wasn't SABMiller, it was MillerCoors. As of last August, they own a majority interest. So they did dodge the AB InBev merger.

Ditto on Ballast Point. Love me some Sculpin.

Word to the wise, blend the habanero Sculpin 50/50 with the grapefruit, pineapple or standard Sculpin. Burn your nose hairs out on its own. The blended taste is, IMO, what they should have been trying to capture.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Also - if any of you are fans of Sixpoint Brewery - their Five Beans Porter is A+.

Wife and I killed off mass amounts of wine on Saturday so I was teetotaling last night. That said - there's a glass of the Glenlivet 10 waiting for me when the children are in bed tonight.
Haven't had that one. On the list when I visit hop city. I dig Resin. Wasn't impressed with Jammer though, as Westbrook has spoiled me on the Gose style.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I had it wrong. It wasn't SABMiller, it was MillerCoors. As of last August, they own a majority interest. So they did dodge the AB InBev merger.

Ditto on Ballast Point. Love me some Sculpin.

Word to the wise, blend the habanero Sculpin 50/50 with the grapefruit, pineapple or standard Sculpin. Burn your nose hairs out on its own. The blended taste is, IMO, what they should have been trying to capture.
SAB Miller and AB InBev are planning a merger, if it hasn't already happened.
SABMiller, AB InBev Shareholders Approve $100 Billion-Plus Merger
Deal turns AB InBev into a brewing powerhouse with an estimated 46% of global beer profits
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sabmil...rs-approve-100-billion-plus-merger-1475059015

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Haven't had that one. On the list when I visit hop city. I dig Resin. Wasn't impressed with Jammer though, as Westbrook has spoiled me on the Gose style.
You know there's a killer draft list at the Raceway in Trussville, right? Not sure what all is on the list now but it's always been strong.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
You know there's a killer draft list at the Raceway in Trussville, right? Not sure what all is on the list now but it's always been strong.
Yeah, it was a nice stop to go get a growler filled with some quality beer. Not anymore. They had an issue from up the ladder. Apparently, Raceway came in and told them to get all of the craft out. Go fig. :rolleyes:

They're trying to bring it back, but compared to what it was it's relatively barren now.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yeah, it was a nice stop to go get a growler filled with some quality beer. Not anymore. They had an issue from up the ladder. Apparently, Raceway came in and told them to get all of the craft out. Go fig. :rolleyes:

They're trying to bring it back, but compared to what it was it's relatively barren now.
"What's wrong with the beer we got?"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.