Budweiser Super Bowl immigration ad controversy - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Re: Budweiser Super Bowl immigration ad controversy

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Them buying up craft breweries is going to be a trend in the future too. They bought Goose Island recently. Luckily the quality of the beer hasn't suffered. SABMiller bought Terrapin and luckily their lineup didn't suffer either. Of course, AB InBev owns Miller now, and therefore Terrapin, too.
    The scary thing is, the craft breweries represent a ridiculously small percentage of domestic sales.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    The scary thing is, the craft breweries represent a ridiculously small percentage of domestic sales.
    Sam Adams founder Jim Koch once claimed that "the big guys spill more than we make" - likely hyperbole but the scale is ridiculous. While Sam Adams (the largest craft brewer in the US) brews around 6 million barrels of beer per year, Anheuser-Busch produces 125 million barrels of beer per year...
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Good ad, not a great beer.

Germans did not face the same xenophobia that Irishmen of the same period did, unless those Germans were openly Catholic, then they received the echoes of the Reformation/Counter-reformation controversy which tore Europe up so badly, because most Americans at the time were Protestant and Anti-Papist, frequently militantly so.
    The American, or "Know-Nothing" party (do not ever let your opposition name your party) was generally anti-immigrant and they mostly drifted into the Republican party after 1854.
    Large numbers of '48ers (proponents of a united Germany that lost in the revolutions of 1848-9 and were expelled from or invited to leave Germany) settled in the Missouri River valley of Missouri, between St. Louis and Jefferson City, the Missouri Rhineland. These formed the core of the Hegelian "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" types that supported the Union in 1861-1865, and made the war in Missouri a particularly nasty affair.
    Ironically, the reputation of Germans in the Late Unpleasantness was that of unmotivated cowards who did not know how to fight. The Union XI Corps under General Oliver Otis Howard contained high numbers of German-Americans. They folded like a tent at Chancellorsville, and folded again at Gettysburg. They earned the nickname "Howard's Cowards" and "the Flying Dutchmen," and the Corps was broken up after the latter fight.
    Ugh - Hegel. What a bastard. But thank George Williamson for teaching him like a champ.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Them buying up craft breweries is going to be a trend in the future too. They bought Goose Island recently. Luckily the quality of the beer hasn't suffered. SABMiller bought Terrapin and luckily their lineup didn't suffer either. Of course, AB InBev owns Miller now, and therefore Terrapin, too.
    I don't think they fully bought out Terrapin - I heard it was something like a 15-20% share. Of course this was controversial on the level of an indie band signing with DGC in the early 90s.

I understand when Ballast Point sold out to that Mexican beer company it was in the neighborhood of $1 billion. As good as that brewery is - and it is *very* good - that is serious money.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Broad brush you got there.

It's really amazing what rustles peoples jimmies now days.
    I'm not the one running out in traffic because my candidate lost, wearing a snatch on my head, rioting at Cal, or viewing the Super Bowl through a black and white sociological prism either.

And I said it was a tad over the top but it's getting more difficult by the day with each hair pulling meltdown to take the opposition to Trump any more seriously than I take him, which is not at all.

People are finding ridiculous meanings in things that don't exist while calling the head Cheeto a conspiracy nut.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Especially when you consider Budweiser is not an American-owned company.
    Didn't know this but not surprised.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Also - if any of you are fans of Sixpoint Brewery - their Five Beans Porter is A+.

Wife and I killed off mass amounts of wine on Saturday so I was teetotaling last night. That said - there's a glass of the Glenlivet 10 waiting for me when the children are in bed tonight.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    you have a truly bizarre picture of the life of a modern immigrant. I have a buddy that teaches at one of the refugee schools in Clarkston GA, let me know if you'd like to get a view that is centered on reality and I will see if I can get him to oblige

and it is also not the point. The contention on that Ad is that it showed an immigrant that no one wanted here becoming a success despite the opposition (And I know the germans had it relatively easy and this was a BS Story). The point is that this ad was Pro Immigrant at a very anti-immigrant time in American Culture
    Anti Immigration? Really? That's propaganda right there. Cool story though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Ugh - Hegel. What a bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegel
    "The state is the march of God through the world."
    How could this lead to unfortunate consequences?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Ugh - Hegel. What a bastard. But thank George Williamson for teaching him like a champ.
    Also - fun side note on the whole "Ein Volk" thing - Pat Buchanan - who I kind of like - once used an anti-Semitic inversion of that phrase in accusing DA JEWS of running US foreign policy. It was quoted in the now infamous "Unpatriotic Conservatives" cover story that David Frum did for National Review.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    How could this lead to unfortunate consequences?
    That quote is in many ways that lynchpin to Jonah Goldberg's liberal fascism thesis - one which I heartily endorse.

I don't think they fully bought out Terrapin - I heard it was something like a 15-20% share. Of course this was controversial on the level of an indie band signing with DGC in the early 90s.

I understand when Ballast Point sold out to that Mexican beer company it was in the neighborhood of $1 billion. As good as that brewery is - and it is *very* good - that is serious money.
    I had it wrong. It wasn't SABMiller, it was MillerCoors. As of last August, they own a majority interest. So they did dodge the AB InBev merger.

Ditto on Ballast Point. Love me some Sculpin.

Word to the wise, blend the habanero Sculpin 50/50 with the grapefruit, pineapple or standard Sculpin. Burn your nose hairs out on its own. The blended taste is, IMO, what they should have been trying to capture.
    Last edited by AUDub; February 6th, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Just a barner.

Oh, you think the scandals are your ally? You merely adopted the scandal. I was born in it, molded by it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I had it wrong. It wasn't SABMiller, it was MillerCoors. As of last August, they own a majority interest. So they did dodge the AB InBev merger.
    I try not to be too much of a purist but I do find the buyouts a little disappointing.