Discussion on Cornerback

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
So the word after signing day was us not getting the corners we hoped, which I believe Saban said he wanted two. He said he got one. We didn't get one listed as a corner but I'm assuming he was talking about Kyriq McDonald. So what I know is this:

Anthony Averett: Known quantity, solid corner, hopefully continues to improve.

Tony Brown: has played corner some with in my opinion mixed results.

Shyheim Carter: top recruit that generated buzz last year and was expected to see the field but apparently got hurt and never had an impact

Aaron Robinson ?
Nigel Knott ?
Jared Mayden ? is he a corner or safety?

My questions are Is Kyriq fast enough to play corner?
Is any of the other DB's capable of playing corner?
Does anyone have input on Robinson/Knott/Mayden

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kyriq is a CB. I've been told Saban personally picked him out as a guy he wanted.

Knott is a CB. Mayden can play CB and S IIRC. Robinson got some reps at CB this year.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I was wondering about this. Maybe the staff has an idea of converting a receiver. I think Cyrus Jones was a converted receiver and that worked out pretty good!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Cyrus was not a converted WR. He was a four star athlete who was projected for either side of the ball. If I recall, his projection as a pure CB was 3* - possibly 4*. I know he started as a WR but he was good to play on either side. The idea that he was a WR recruit who WR converted out of desperation is erroneous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Cyrus was not a converted WR. He was a four star athlete who was projected for either side of the ball. If I recall, his projection as a pure CB was 3* - possibly 4*. I know he started as a WR but he was good to play on either side. The idea that he was a WR recruit who WR converted out of desperation is erroneous.

What ever! He practiced with the receivers when he arrived, and he converted later because he was asked to. Who care that he was recruited as an athlete.

Here's a quote from Cyrus: "Coach Saban, you know, we were losing a couple of defensive backs after my freshman year and coach knew that I could play DB and he asked me, would I be willing to try it out for the spring time," Jones said. "I bought in and I just wanted to help the team in any way possible and it worked out for me and the team."

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What ever! He practiced with the receivers when he arrived, and he converted later because he was asked to. Who care that he was recruited as an athlete.

Here's a quote from Cyrus: "Coach Saban, you know, we were losing a couple of defensive backs after my freshman year and coach knew that I could play DB and he asked me, would I be willing to try it out for the spring time," Jones said. "I bought in and I just wanted to help the team in any way possible and it worked out for me and the team."
Prof's point is the idea Cyrus was a pure WR moved to CB is false. He could have played either depending on which school he attended because he was really good at both positions in high school. It's not like Amari coming to Bama as a pure WR and moving to CB before his sophomore year.

For years, we heard this negative idea about Bama's secondary relying on a converted WR. And that wasn't an accurate statement.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

RTR91 already corrected you on this, but Cyrus was only a "converted WR" to the extent that he had practiced with that side of the ball and ran some plays at that spot in early 2012. WR was never his exclusive position, nor did he have to learn how to play in the secondary. Calling any player a "converted" whatever suggests that they had to learn something new that went against their natural training. That wasn't the case with Cyrus, nor was it the case with A'Shawn Robinson, a "converted OL".

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Trayvon Diggs is a guy who could play either position. I sort of wonder if Foster is another player who earlier in his career could played CB as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I expect few of the young players to compete at opening spot at CB, Star, Money and Safety. I wouldn't be shocked to see Minkah moving back to CB ( unlikely)... I think we'll see Saban moving players around to see who's the best fit.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I expect few of the young players to compete at opening spot at CB, Star, Money and Safety. I wouldn't be shocked to see Minkah moving back to CB ( unlikely)... I think we'll see Saban moving players around to see who's the best fit.
I'd love to see Minkah at cb since that would mean we have someone else step up to be an awesome safety. Would be great for hootie to make the step and then have brown at star.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
RTR91 already corrected you on this, but Cyrus was only a "converted WR" to the extent that he had practiced with that side of the ball and ran some plays at that spot in early 2012. WR was never his exclusive position, nor did he have to learn how to play in the secondary. Calling any player a "converted" whatever suggests that they had to learn something new that went against their natural training. That wasn't the case with Cyrus, nor was it the case with A'Shawn Robinson, a "converted OL".
This is an extremely odd little to-may-to vs to-mah-to quibble to double down on, given the post you were responding to. It doesn't necessarily imply so much, and his post didn't suggest that he thought Cyrus was a more natural WR or a complete newcomer to DB or anything like that. In fact, a more charitable - but also completely normal and maybe more natural - reading would of understood the post to be acknowledging that there are players with the natural ability to play many positions, and that those players' current positions may not necessarily limit where we could use them.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
So the word after signing day was us not getting the corners we hoped, which I believe Saban said he wanted two. He said he got one. We didn't get one listed as a corner but I'm assuming he was talking about Kyriq McDonald. So what I know is this:

Anthony Averett: Known quantity, solid corner, hopefully continues to improve.

Tony Brown: has played corner some with in my opinion mixed results.

Shyheim Carter: top recruit that generated buzz last year and was expected to see the field but apparently got hurt and never had an impact

Aaron Robinson ?
Nigel Knott ?
Jared Mayden ? is he a corner or safety?

My questions are Is Kyriq fast enough to play corner?
Is any of the other DB's capable of playing corner?
Does anyone have input on Robinson/Knott/Mayden
Yes Kyriq is fast enough to play corner. I was one his HS football coaches. I don't really want to talk about things on the open forum, you can PM me if you would like. but I promise he is fast enough. He was actually a RB when he first came to us.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I'm guessing that corner was not a huge concern to us this year. Sounded like there were only two prospects, basically in the nation, that we would have taken. I infer that this year's crop was weak and next year is strong. We'll be fine!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Yes Kyriq is fast enough to play corner. I was one his HS football coaches. I don't really want to talk about things on the open forum, you can PM me if you would like. but I promise he is fast enough. He was actually a RB when he first came to us.

thanks, I'll take your word that he is fast enough.

Can we get back to the subject, Cyrus played DB in the high school all star games so I was surprised they put him at WR initially.

I had forgotten that Diggs played DB last year as well, but was he not playing safety? I expected Diggs to start at WR next year but they definately have more depth there and from an NFL perspective if you want money DB is the way to go, simple supply vs demand.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.