Report: Sark to be Named Falcons OC

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Chip Kelly still unemployed? [emoji848]
I'm not sure I see Chip Kelly taking an OC job after being an NFL head coach (I know Kiffin did but he resume is way different)... having said that, he has met with Alabama and Saban before. If he does want somewhere to go for a short while, I'm sure Saban would gladly extend the offer to him.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm going to try and not panic about this.....at least until we know who the replacement will be. But this is very bad unless we bring in a proven guy at OC that has had established success running our current style of offense and developing young QB's. Because that person is not currently on staff.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Am I the only one that sees this as a strange hire for the Falcons? Sark has only one year in the NFL (as a player or coach) and that was 2004 as QB coach for the Raiders. Kerry Collins was never that good but he didn't exactly tear it up that year either. Alabama was taking a risk on an alcoholic, but the Falcons are taking a bigger risk. This is an alcoholic whose only called game in years was a loss, and someone who has virtually no NFL experience. While I can see why he'd take the job, it seems like quite a reach for the Falcons.

Alabama, this is one reason why they have the co tag at the position. They're now set to make more hires on the staff, but Saban does a lot to preserve continuity. This situation really doesn't upset me that much simply because if this is who Sark is, then I'm not so sure Alabama needed him.
Actually, this late in the game the Sark hire is about as good as they could have hoped for. That is the biggest disadvantage of playing in the SB. All of the best coaches are gone. I am not saying that he will be great in ATL - just that they could have been forced to settle for a lot worse.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Locksley is already Co-OC. Is Craig still available? Bring him as WR coach and give Locksley the full OC job.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Strange move for the Falcons.

I assume Locksley gets a shot. Is he a good QB coach? Do we look for a position coach for QB's? What do you folks think?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Actually, this late in the game the Sark hire is about as good as they could have hoped for.
I understand the "late in the game" comments, but if they can go and hire a guy who really just got hired for it, then that part isn't relevant eh? Or are we operating under the assumption that most coordinators wouldn't ditch their new team that easily?
Do we look for a position coach for QB's? What do you folks think?
Alabama already had that extra coaching position coming up, this leaves another one open. There's no doubt now that Saban brings in another offensive guy, that's for sure.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
No need to panic...get rid of all the Kiffin related influences and keep going forward. Coach will make the right moves and hire. I am available and will come cheaper if Coach is interested. :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Actually, this late in the game the Sark hire is about as good as they could have hoped for. That is the biggest disadvantage of playing in the SB. All of the best coaches are gone. I am not saying that he will be great in ATL - just that they could have been forced to settle for a lot worse.
Well the Falcons' QB coach was a candidate, and now he's reportedly heading to LA to be the Rams OC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I understand the "late in the game" comments, but if they can go and hire a guy who really just got hired for it, then that part isn't relevant eh? Or are we operating under the assumption that most coordinators wouldn't ditch their new team that easily?

Alabama already had that extra coaching position coming up, this leaves another one open. There's no doubt now that Saban brings in another offensive guy, that's for sure.
NFL guys would not - it would be career suicide. ATL was limited to out of work guys or guys from college. Sark is about as good as they were likely to get.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Shanahan to the 49ers has been known for weeks now, they just couldn't formally announce it due to NFL rules. Therefore, I don't think Sarkisian is someone the Falcons identified in the last 36 hours. Knowing how that front office works, and how meticulous Blank is in the vetting process, this has been in the works for some time.

Someone asked earlier if it's surprising that the Falcons picked Sarkisian, and the answer is a big YES given his past transgressions. They pursued Quinn over Rex Ryan, thank goodness, because of some of his antics.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.