Report: Sark to be Named Falcons OC

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
@BruceFeldmanCFB Names I'm told could get consideration for #Alabama OC: Mark Helfrich, Chip Kelly & George Godsey who is tight with OL coach Brent Key.
Godsey would be an interesting pick - he has helped run just about every type of offense as exists, and is said to be great with QBs.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
This is curious. Understanding the clock management factors that contributed to both Alabama and Atlanta losing their respective championship games, Sark would be the last guy I would be hiring if I were the Falcons. But hey, they are the Falcons for a reason.
Can Saban hire Ken Dorsey? He is an up and coming coach and maybe taking him away from Carolina will needle sCam Newton a little in the process.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Steve Sarkisian leaving Bama for Falcons amid disagreements with Nick Saban

Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian has been named the Atlanta Falcons’ next coordinator, the team announced Tuesday. Previous OC Kyle Shanahan accepted the San Francisco 49ers head coaching job after Atlanta lost to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI, for which Shanahan takes a share of the blame.

Sarkisian was named Alabama’s full-time coordinator after the Tide’s victory over Washington in the Peach Bowl semifinal. He took over for Lane Kiffin, who had accepted the head coaching job at FAU. Sark, who joined Alabama’s staff as a consultant at the start of the 2016 season, coached the Tide during their loss to Clemson in the National Championship.

Multiple sources have confirmed to SB Nation that after meetings with Alabama head coach Nick Saban following the Championship, the relationship between Saban and Sarkisian deteriorated amid disagreements in “system philosophy,” per one source. Both parties planned to move on following Signing Day last Wednesday, and Saban was aware of Sarkisian’s contact with the Falcons.

One source described the problems between Sarkisian and Saban as “too similar” to the relationship between Saban and former coordinator Kiffin.

“There was an effort on Saban’s part not to repeat the same problem. This wasn’t going to work out,” a source close to Sarkisian told SB Nation

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
@BruceFeldmanCFB Names I'm told could get consideration for #Alabama OC: Mark Helfrich, Chip Kelly & George Godsey who is tight with OL coach Brent Key.
I'm never been a big fan of the hurry up, but that's basically what Alabama has been running anyway. I'm not sure Alabama could come up with a better guy in all of college football to run it than Chip Kelly. The guy was 46-7 in college and it is easy to argue that during the time period, he had the best offense in college football while Saban had the best defense. While his NFL stint didn't go perfectly well (neither did Saban's, Spurrier's, etc...), his college resume is fantastic and I always felt like he he'd have success returning to college. I just have trouble believing such a successful college coach could end up as offensive coordinator though...

Helfrich is an interesting plan B. The problem is he's clearly the Kirby Smart in this scenario. Chip Kelly even called the plays on offense when Helfrich was the coordinator. Having said that, if Alabama wants the Oregon offense and they can't get Kelly, he's the guy. But the question I'd ask is if the Oregon offense is really anything special without Kelly?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm never been a big fan of the hurry up, but that's basically what Alabama has been running anyway. I'm not sure Alabama could come up with a better guy in all of college football to run it than Chip Kelly. The guy was 46-7 in college and it is easy to argue that during the time period, he had the best offense in college football while Saban had the best defense. While his NFL stint didn't go perfectly well (neither did Saban's, Spurrier's, etc...), his college resume is fantastic and I always felt like he he'd have success returning to college. I just have trouble believing such a successful college coach could end up as offensive coordinator though...

Helfrich is an interesting plan B. The problem is he's clearly the Kirby Smart in this scenario. Chip Kelly even called the plays on offense when Helfrich was the coordinator. Having said that, if Alabama wants the Oregon offense and they can't get Kelly, he's the guy. But the question I'd ask is if the Oregon offense is really anything special without Kelly?
Either would be a homerun for the offense that we have, and we won't have to hear Run the Ball much. I like Helfrich more because I think Kelly's ego could get in the way.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I have no idea who will be the new OC and I don't need a Xanax. I'll just take a "wait 'n see" approach here. CNS always has a short list established and with CLK (a.k.a. Joey Freshwater) and Sark in the fold with their issues I'm sure that list is being activated as we speak.

We'll be fine.

RTR!!!

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Hate to lose Sark, but that is a great gig for him and I cant blame Atlanta or Sark for leaving. Is what it is!

Im not a Chip Kelly fan but given the situation and time, if he wants to come in for a year or two and help us get back while we search for a replacement and he searches for his, Im prolly in!
If chip Kelly is our long term answer, Im not!

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Pretty interesting considering Tua was tight with him. Those Oregon names might be getting a little hotter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
St. Nick doesn't play. So basically in discussing philosophies St. Nick picked up on some things in Sark's system that he wasn't going to let go of that existed in Kiffin's system that he didn't like. So he cuts bait. I'm good with that. Let's move on. Smart move in my opinion.
You would think any philosophical disagreements would have been hashed out/ uncovered in the initial vetting/interviewing process when he hired on here. IF true, I'm a little surprised at this development. Then again, better to part ways now than later if this is the case.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
St. Nick doesn't play. So basically in discussing philosophies St. Nick picked up on some things in Sark's system that he wasn't going to let go of that existed in Kiffin's system that he didn't like. So he cuts bait. I'm good with that. Let's move on. Smart move in my opinion.
If this story is accurate, Saban already has someone lined up.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.