Report: Sark to be Named Falcons OC

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Bingo.

Assuming the SBN article is accurate, the reason to keep Sark until after NSD would be his relationships with Tua and Najee from his time at USC. He recruited both while there, and Tua voiced his pleasure with Sark getting the job.
You think this will give Tua second thoughts? Tua seems like someone who would honor his commitment and stay (he's found a church he likes and seems happy with the move so far); but in today's world, who knows.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'll take an unpopular stance - if someone leaves a job almost immediately, mistakes were likely made in the hiring process. Why give Sark the job if differences existed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Welcome to the offseason, it is what it is. Glad that whomever the new OC is..he will have time to adjust before the new season.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think the timing is actually great. After signing day but well before spring training. I wouldn't have wanted this to pop up again around the SEC Championship game again. Whoever we get will have some of the best players to work with so he will look great. People from other teams will be having the same discussions as we are having on tidefans about Brady and Belichik being good or mediocre without each other. I want someone who WANTS to be here and will listen to their boss.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Sadly I agree. We have to go get a bigtime hire or we lose 2-3 games next year. We lost a lot on defense and the offense I thought would need to carry us next year. Not being sure if Jalen will get better and now losing a seamless transition at OC is a really bad blow and throws a huge ratchet into things.
Tusks, a "big-time" hire isn't going to win or lose us games. The next OC should be a good fit. That's what is important, IMO.

And if Jalen does improve, and there is no reason to think he won't, we will be steady on offense almost regardless.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
George Godsey has only been an OC for two seasons and Houston was 25th in points and 30th in yards in 2015 and then 29th in both points and yards this past year.....so??
Godsey I'm not sure about either because he hasn't really done it on his own yet. He played under Bill O'Brien and then has been coaching under him in the NFL with the Patriots and Texans. I think he is more of O'Brien's right hand man than an OC with his own offensive philosophy.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'll take an unpopular stance - if someone leaves a job almost immediately, mistakes were likely made in the hiring process. Why give Sark the job if differences existed ?

People present themselves one way in an interview but you don't really know what you have until you hire them and watch them work. Though Saban publicly defended Sark after the NC game. It is very plausible after looking at the tape and discussing it with Sark, that the differences came out. Saban asking "Why did you do this when presented with that look?" etc. Or the guy could have fell off the wagon, dove back into the bottle and was running the night clubs. Or the plan could have been all along to keep Sark as OC to keep some of the top recruits through signing then once the ink dried cut bait. Who knows?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Tusks, a "big-time" hire isn't going to win or lose us games. The next OC should be a good fit. That's what is important, IMO.

And if Jalen does improve, and there is no reason to think he won't, we will be steady on offense almost regardless.
Well yes that's what I mean. Get a guy who is a household name at running the style of offense we run now who can also develop QB's. Of the names listed so far.....Kelly is a grandslam and Helfrich might be a homerun. If we could get anyone I'd want Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
With Coach Saban's statement of "we will go find the best available", if taken literally, Locksley will not slide into the OC position.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
One thing that stands out to me is that both kiffin and sarkisian must not have ran a very tight ship as head coaches. I say that due to the fact they both seem to think obviously you can have differences with your boss. I am the sales manager for my company and there is no doubt who the owner is either. We can voice opinions, but at the end of the day it's his way or the highway. I would assume that folks know that about CNS don't you?

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
I honestly think Sark was hired as an 'insurance policy', in the event Kiffin's problems came to light and a mid-season move was necessary. Sark would have had similar terminology and familiarity with the offense that Kiffin ran, and would've been able to step in reasonably well.

Methinks CNS had 3-4 months with Sark, decided it was more of the same, and decided to cut ties after signing day. Will be interesting to see how this plays out and how quickly a move is made on someone else. I would love to see a bona-fide QB coach hired, but I'm sure CNS is all over this and will make the best possible hire.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What about Lincoln Riley as a potential candidate?
Don't think Lincoln is a real possibility. Would love the hire, though.

With Coach Saban's statement of "we will go find the best available", if taken literally, Locksley will not slide into the OC position.
Lock might end up getting the job, but him being named Co-OC has seemed to be solely done in order to get him to stay instead of going elsewhere.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Well yes that's what I mean. Get a guy who is a household name at running the style of offense we run now who can also develop QB's. Of the names listed so far.....Kelly is a grandslam and Helfrich might be a homerun. If we could get anyone I'd want Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma.
I'm all for a young, up and coming offensive coordinator like Riley. I would like to see more of the running game re-assert itself.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia

because Sark and Kiffen ran a similar offense. you don't change from a west coast spread to the wishbone for the championship game. similar offense, similar verbage for the play. it was kind of the easiest thing to do given the situation and the timing.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I actually see no problem with the timing of the switch. There are tons of OC/DC and assistant changes nation wide between signing day and spring practice. As long as he is in place in a few weeks to prepare for spring practice. Spring is really key. That's why it was so devestating when Price was fired after spring. Shula had no chace that following fall.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm all for a young, up and coming offensive coordinator like Riley. I would like to see more of the running game re-assert itself.
Surprisingly we averaged 245 yrds per game rushing which was 12th. Oklahoma was a few spots lower at 18th with 237 yrds per game rushing. But I think I get what you mean.....you want to see dominant power running that sets the table for playaction passes. I do too.....and we have two power runners in Bo and Josh. Three I guess if you count Hurts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.