Bama @ South Carolina (5:30 tip)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Another encouraging thing is the game Ar'Mond Davis had. Was 50% from the field and hit 3 of 7 3's. I know it's just one game but fingers crossed its a sign he is catching up to playing at this level and we can expect better play and contributions going forward.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Another encouraging thing is the game Ar'Mond Davis had. Was 50% from the field and hit 3 of 7 3's. I know it's just one game but fingers crossed its a sign he is catching up to playing at this level and we can expect better play and contributions going forward.
Very true, but I would have preferred him make that pull up jumper at the end of the first OT. :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm a big CAJ fan and hope everyone gives him tons of room, but that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious. AJ Jr., Davis and Collins all had chances to drive for a last shot/put back and no one tried it. Moot point now though, WE WON!

We would probably have had similar results under Grant that we're having right the last two years. We played more competitive ball than Grant will ever be remembered for, but we just couldn't finish a close game to save our lives. However, everyone is banking on Avery's ceiling being higher. Case in point, next year's class we could've never previously gotten.
Disagree completely. Would have never won all of the SEC road games or ND or Witchita State. Grant, nor few other college coaches for that matter, would have identified a career 6 pt player and made him the focal point of an otherwise offensively destitute team. Last year was a 10-12 win team under Grant and most college coaches. This team plays D, as did Grant's, rebounds like mad and usually plays with great heart and has the poise to win SEC road games, something Bama hasn't done since Newton. This with 1 1/2 SEC caliber players - Key and Ingram. Also, several good role players.

As you noted, CAJ is bringing in players. They can penetrate, score and shoot, something that should totally change the offense once they get settled.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Disagree completely. Would have never won all of the SEC road games or ND or Witchita State. Grant, nor few other college coaches for that matter, would have identified a career 6 pt player and made him the focal point of an otherwise offensively destitute team. Last year was a 10-12 win team under Grant and most college coaches. This team plays D, as did Grant's, rebounds like mad and usually plays with great heart and has the poise to win SEC road games, something Bama hasn't done since Newton. This with 1 1/2 SEC caliber players - Key and Ingram. Also, several good role players.

As you noted, CAJ is bringing in players. They can penetrate, score and shoot, something that should totally change the offense once they get settled.
Somewhat agree. Making rebounding such a focus and bringing Pelphrey on to work with the bigs has made a big difference. The close wins you referenced supports my point of the hump Grant could never get over, but a lot of other statistics are actually very comparable to the Grant days outside of rebounding still, and he coached many good 35 minutes games (at WSU, at Rupp, pre-conference tourneys against ranked teams, etc.) in his time here. All moot at this point though, and I'm breaking my own rule with bringing up Grant comparisons. Onward and upward!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Real gutsy win. It's a shame that Alabama can't handle Auburn for what ever reason, with wins over Auburn this season would look quite different.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm a big CAJ fan and hope everyone gives him tons of room, but that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious. AJ Jr., Davis and Collins all had chances to drive for a last shot/put back and no one tried it. Moot point now though, WE WON!

We would probably have had similar results under Grant that we're having right the last two years. We played more competitive ball than Grant will ever be remembered for, but we just couldn't finish a close game to save our lives. However, everyone is banking on Avery's ceiling being higher. Case in point, next year's class we could've never previously gotten.
Are you kidding me? Avery got 4 top 25 wins last year. Grant had 3 his entire career at Bama.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Very true, but I would have preferred him make that pull up jumper at the end of the first OT. :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That shot attempt by Davis was a very good look (finally); right on line. Davis has the smoothest stroke and release. He has also done a better job at handling the ball and not giving up the dribble once he starts pushing the ball.

Very exciting game. Last 6 minutes of regulation was frustrating on offense and USC seemed to get all the calls and no-calls during this time period. The team played with confidence throughout all OT's!

RTR

Last edited:

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
Incredible win last night. On the road against the top team in the conference is one thing, but to battle through all the foul trouble and 4 OT's is amazing. It is also very difficult to win a game when the other team makes more more free throws than you attempt. Thornwell ALONE made more free throws than we did as a team.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Our RPI is up to 67 after the win. Ken Pom has us at 61. If we beat Kentucky Saturday, we might be in the conversation as a tournament team. Looking back at our schedule, the Texas loss is the one that's killing us. That's the only one that looks like a truly bad loss. All of our other losses, including Valparaiso, are to teams with RPI of 69 or better.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
CAJ has done some really good things in his first two years here. The problem has been consistency, which isn't all on him due to the roster he was left. I do hope he can develop our program back to a level of consistency where we can expect solid performances each night. This was another very solid road win, though.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I wanted Ingram and Key to drive on their defenders when USC players were hugging them out so far from the basket. They drew fouls several times when they did this. USC did a fairly good job leaving a big guy in the middle to help out which is still okay if the players learn to pull up and shoot a short jump shot. Most players will not do this; its either spot up for the three or drive completely to the basket. I know there are arguments against the 2-point jump shot but when it is the big weak spot in a defense, the offense needs to take advantage of it.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
This was a crazy game (and a half). Glad we managed to win it.

Our RPI is up to 67 after the win. Ken Pom has us at 61. If we beat Kentucky Saturday, we might be in the conversation as a tournament team. Looking back at our schedule, the Texas loss is the one that's killing us. That's the only one that looks like a truly bad loss. All of our other losses, including Valparaiso, are to teams with RPI of 69 or better.
Warrennolan.com has Bama at 63 in RPI poll today. It has Auburn is at 57, but they were still bad losses.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/rpi-live

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.