Trump questions lawmakers' efforts to curb civil forfeitures by police

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I saw the video of Trump talking to a sheriff at the meeting. The sheriff couldn't believe that anybody could be against forfeiture.

There need to be protections for citizens. Sheriff likes all that money his department gets I reckon.

Later, Sheriff Harold Eavenson of Rockwall County, Texas, told Trump of his response to a state lawmaker who had introduced legislation requiring suspects first be convicted before assets could be seized.
"I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed," Eavenson said.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If they ever get their hands on your property, good luck. It's almost impossible to regain possession, whether there was good evidence for the seizure or not...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
This may have been posted in another thread along the way, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it here because it is informative (and somewhat depressing):

http://ij.org/report/policing-for-profit/grading-state-federal-civil-forfeiture-laws/

Nearly every state, the District of Columbia and the federal government have civil forfeiture laws, but they differ in their financial incentives and their procedures. This report grades state and federal civil forfeiture laws based on the incentives they create for law enforcement agencies to police for profit and the protections they afford to property owners.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
he has absolutely no respect for or understanding of personal freedom

Glad to see you are coming around
Most conservatives on this board do not toe the party line and do not blindly follow the direction of any individual. We are independent thinkers contrary to what you might otherwise believe.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Most conservatives on this board do not toe the party line and do not blindly follow the direction of any individual. We are independent thinkers contrary to what you might otherwise believe.
LOL, I don't see much evidence that bears that out, in fact I don't see the evidence that many of you are "thinkers" at all. Some of you sure, but certainly not most

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I would really like a mugger to define his actions as a Citizen's arrest before a court. :)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Those who've obtained their property have had to fight for years in court. Most just give up...
And since property can't represent itself...what a scam. The original intent has been bastardized to punish every ordinary citizen. Have a nice car? Plant a joint in your car, impound the car and any thing in it or on you...ridiculous

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.