Trump questions lawmakers' efforts to curb civil forfeitures by police
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Trump questions lawmakers' efforts to curb civil forfeitures by police

We'll part ways on this one. There's no way we should continue to condone said forfeitures. It's just bad policy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us..._medium=Social

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Re: Trump questions lawmakers' efforts to curb civil forfeitures by police

I saw the video of Trump talking to a sheriff at the meeting. The sheriff couldn't believe that anybody could be against forfeiture.

There need to be protections for citizens. Sheriff likes all that money his department gets I reckon.

Later, Sheriff Harold Eavenson of Rockwall County, Texas, told Trump of his response to a state lawmaker who had introduced legislation requiring suspects first be convicted before assets could be seized.
    "I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed," Eavenson said.
    "Isn't it strange that princes and kings, and clowns that caper in sawdust rings, and common folk like you and me are builders for all eternity? Each is given a bag of tools, a shapeless mass, a book of rules, and each must make - ere life has flown- a stumbling block or a stepping stone." ---- Sharpe/Davidson

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    There need to be protections for citizens.
    Agreed
    The Concord Blue Devils, 17-Time World Champions: 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

If they ever get their hands on your property, good luck. It's almost impossible to regain possession, whether there was good evidence for the seizure or not...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

This may have been posted in another thread along the way, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it here because it is informative (and somewhat depressing):

http://ij.org/report/policing-for-pr...rfeiture-laws/

Nearly every state, the District of Columbia and the federal government have civil forfeiture laws, but they differ in their financial incentives and their procedures. This report grades state and federal civil forfeiture laws based on the incentives they create for law enforcement agencies to police for profit and the protections they afford to property owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    We'll part ways on this one. There's no way we should continue to condone said forfeitures. It's just bad policy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us..._medium=Social
    he has absolutely no respect for or understanding of personal freedom

Glad to see you are coming around
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    he has absolutely no respect for or understanding of personal freedom

Glad to see you are coming around
    Most conservatives on this board do not toe the party line and do not blindly follow the direction of any individual. We are independent thinkers contrary to what you might otherwise believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Most conservatives on this board do not toe the party line and do not blindly follow the direction of any individual. We are independent thinkers contrary to what you might otherwise believe.
    LOL, I don't see much evidence that bears that out, in fact I don't see the evidence that many of you are "thinkers" at all. Some of you sure, but certainly not most
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation Hall of Fame NationalTitles16's Avatar

Sad that we need protection FROM the police.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    If they ever get their hands on your property, good luck. It's almost impossible to regain possession, whether there was good evidence for the seizure or not...
    Unfortunately, that's where I'd probably do something stupid and get myself killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    LOL, I don't see much evidence that bears that out, in fact I don't see the evidence that many of you are "thinkers" at all. Some of you sure, but certainly not most
    Pot meet kettle.

I would really like a mugger to define his actions as a Citizen's arrest before a court.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Unfortunately, that's where I'd probably do something stupid and get myself killed.
    Those who've obtained their property have had to fight for years in court. Most just give up...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis