Offensive coordinator discussion/odds...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Tom Clements certainly has surprised Bama before.
Yeah, only this time it could be to Bama's betterment (traditional pro-set tenor some have given this conversation) rather than the original surprise that occurred, what?, maybe a whole first down :mad: (10 yards) away from me in Tulane Stadium...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I would welcome it but in hopes that we didn't go full pendulum swing the other way. We're built to run power football AND go over the top with our WR's. But that doesn't mean we have to be cookie cutter about it. I'd like to see an invite by Saban to Josh McDaniels and Belichick to come down to TTown and give some pointers on how to mix the two (spread concepts and pro style) effectively.
I'm pretty sure Tom Brady's eligibility has expired. :wink:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I am not a member of Tider Insider so I am not sure who it is, but they have a article on their board saying a new name has emerged for OC anyone with access?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Who ever we get. I just want someone who can hear me at home holler... RUN THE DANG BALL, when we are 2nd and goal inside the 5 yard line. With our RBs we could do with a little better blocking by the line, and run the ball down their throat when we need a First Down or TD. ;)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
They mentioned a name that I've never heard of. Brian Daboll
I had to google him, too. Found some interesting stuff. Some positive, some not so much.

He was a grad assistant at Michigan State in Saban's last two years there.

Then several stops, leading to OC under Eric Mangini at the Browns. There, his offenses were 32nd and 29th in total O.

On to the Dolphins as OC, where he improved the O from 30th to 20th. Then to the Chiefs for 2012....an abysmal season offensively and all around.

On to the Pats for 2013. Been there since. Now TE coach.

Saban / Bellichick coaching tree. Most of his experience in the NFL, including a bunch of years as an OC, especially given his relatively young age.

On-field results mixed, but a lot of it was at some mediocre to bad Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs teams. Not much to work with there.

I could see a decision either way here. Have to trust in Saban.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
not overall great OC numbers but he ran the ball in Miami and KC well
Agreed. I think with the candidates that have interviewed and with the ones that are surfacing with NFL experience it appears we are looking to go back to our previous offensive style. I prefer the pro style over the spread but believe we will need to keep some of the spread aspects with the QB's on our roster.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
I hope we do go back to a pro style offence. The read option is great for a change of pace. The qb just has to be so talented to win against better defences. Qb's should be passers first and have the ability to escape when necessary.

Really hoping Jalen improves as a passer because he is so cool , but we have to have the ability to hit the deep ball for the sake of making space for the running game.

Enos seems to do well with Qb's so we'll see. I trust Saban.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I was listening to College Sports station on Sirius/XM when I first heard the news of Sark's departure. The host of that show immediately mentioned Rick Neuheisel, and Finebaum gave that name when he came on the show as well, but I think it was all in jest. I know there was a time we flirted with him back when we hired Dubose, and I know he has had some issues involving gambling, but that guy is a good offensive mind. He is probably too many years removed from doing any coaching to be eligible for this position. However, I do think very highly of Homer Smith, and thought he ran a very good offense under Stallings (when Stallings would actually let him call the plays he wanted to). Neuheisel is a Homer disciple.

Anyway, I am certain there are a plethora of reasons why this hire couldn't happen. I am just not so certain what they are. Just giving an out of left field possibility to chew on (or get roasted for).
Neuheisel may have a slight chance at it, in reality. It would certainly be a way to build on the West Coast elements Kiffin brought to the table especially in 2015. Neuheisel's name comes up often when Alabama has a coordinator opening. I would consider him a long shot, though.

Tom Clements' name has come up twice before for the job and he was offered the job at least once in the past, maybe twice (2012 & maybe 2008 as well). He's currently unemployed, so the speculation will kick up again, I imagine. Biggest thing with Clements is that he's shown no desire to get back to the college ranks and I don't know how many people get the opportunity to turn Nick Saban down more than once, to say nothing of more than twice.

Brian Daboll got a lot of mention today on TiderInsider. There are several coaches on our original list with ties back to the New England Patriots and Daboll is another branch from that tree.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The guys from the NFL are so hard to judge because there are so many NFL teams that are just a train wreck offensively. So many teams just can't manage the salary cap. Additionally in that league you either have an elite QB or you're pretty much not going to win.
Jim Plunkett, Trent Dilfer, Russell Wilson, and 40 year old Peyton Manning say "hi". Eli says "hi" twice.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If someone already with the program (Locksley ) or very recently so ( Napier ) were CNS` first choice and wanted the job, does anyone think that it probably would have already happened?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jim Plunkett, Trent Dilfer, Russell Wilson, and 40 year old Peyton Manning say "hi". Eli says "hi" twice.
Yep, win the trenches on both sides of the ball and you don't need a great QB to win at any level. Alabama is a team much like those for which the QBs listed above played. Great players on the LOS, great defense, great RBs. If anything Alabama is better in that you also have great receivers at every position.

There is a reason that Alabama was able to go 14-0 with Hurts' weak passing game last year. Imagine how good you will be if he gets it together. But you have to play to your strengths - Run the ball!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.